Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread 2.0: 7 - 5

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Like I said in the CFL thread, the talent level across the league has never been higher. In an ordinary year, this Ti-Cats roster would probably be good enough for .500.

But this year they've fallen far behind the curve.

Case in point - every other team has at least 2 impact receivers. The Ti-Cats don't even have one. Tasker is OK but he'd be #2 or #3 on every other team.

Honestly I believe that. Edmonton, Calgary, and BC are unreal teams this year. Winnipeg and Toronto are decent teams that could contend for first overall in many past years.

Crazy how good Edmonton is doing. Congrats. The only solace I have as a Bombers fan is hopefully we will head through the east and get a one game showdown for the Grey Cup against whoever comes out of the bloodbath in the West. Can't wait to see how we shape up against the Evil Empire in a couple weeks. Having lived in Edmonton for 5 years and many Esks fan friends it should be fun.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
ya that was one of the stupidiest decisions you can make...punt the damn ball away and make the Ti-cats march the field
and the way the front 4 were pressuring, Hamilton would've been cooked earlier

Esks tried everything to give this game to Hamilton....thankfully the Ti-cats are awful

Yes the Tiger-Cats are very, very bad. I really don't feel that good about that win at all.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Yes the Tiger-Cats are very, very bad. I really don't feel that good about that win at all.

You don't feel good that a team with more than half their starters out injured just won another football game to get to 6-0?

I think once again this one came down to us winning the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Perkins rushed well and Reilly stayed upright, while Hamilton had no running game and Collaros was running for his life.

I was at the game, so can somebody explain wtf was going on at the end there with Austin trying to challenge? Ref claimed he couldn't because he had no timeouts left (I thought he couldn't because it was inside the three minute warning). The scoreboard clearly showed Hamilton still with a timeout though. Yet if Hamilton did have a timeout left, they were monumentally stupid for not calling it before our previous 3rd down play and saving 20 crucial seconds. I was also mystified when the clock continued to run after Hamilton's final 1st down. Looked like the receiver got out of bounds from my vantage point.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You don't feel good that a team with more than half their starters out injured just won another football game to get to 6-0?

I think once again this one came down to us winning the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Perkins rushed well and Reilly stayed upright, while Hamilton had no running game and Collaros was running for his life.

I was at the game, so can somebody explain wtf was going on at the end there with Austin trying to challenge? Ref claimed he couldn't because he had no timeouts left (I thought he couldn't because it was inside the three minute warning). The scoreboard clearly showed Hamilton still with a timeout though. Yet if Hamilton did have a timeout left, they were monumentally stupid for not calling it before our previous 3rd down play and saving 20 crucial seconds. I was also mystified when the clock continued to run after Hamilton's final 1st down. Looked like the receiver got out of bounds from my vantage point.

I don't feel good that we just barely beat a team that our biggest rival completely dismantled one week ago that we really only won because of the other team's total incompetence. Too many penalties, too many questionable playcalls, and just a lot of braincramps. How did the Esks continually let the Ti-Cats off the mat? That game should've been wrapped up after the three minute warning.

As long as we have Reilly the Esks are a threat. But the team did everything in their power to lose that game. 160 yards in penalties? Are you kidding me?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I don't feel good that we just barely beat a team that our biggest rival completely dismantled one week ago that we really only won because of the other team's total incompetence. Too many penalties, too many questionable playcalls, and just a lot of braincramps. How did the Esks continually let the Ti-Cats off the mat? That game should've been wrapped up after the three minute warning.

As long as we have Reilly the Esks are a threat. But the team did everything in their power to lose that game. 160 yards in penalties? Are you kidding me?

I actually thought the play-calling was pretty good tonight right up until the stupid decision to gamble in the final minute. Also would have gone for 2 on all the TDs tonight, but that's a league-wide lack of awareness and nothing new.

This game wasn't nearly as close as the final score would indicate. We significantly out-rushed and out-possessed Hamilton. We out-passed them by a good margin as well. And it's not where we gave up a huge return or had a pick go back the other way to skew things either. The fact that Hamilton had a chance to win on the final play in spite of all this is rather fortuitous from their viewpoint. Perkins fumbling inside our 20 with less than 3 minutes to go gave the Cats an unexpected opportunity to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Credit to them, they almost capitalized.

At the end of the day, there were two teams on the football field. Expecting to roll over anyone in this league at this point (almost every game across the board this year has come down to the final 5 minutes) with half the team in the infirmary was not realistic, or even necessary. Calgary beat them 60-1. Big whoop. Our win counts just the same in the standings. Ultimately the Grey Cup is likely to be decided when these two teams face each other in November. Who beat Hamilton by what margin back in the middle of summer will be immaterial at that point. The fact that we won, period, might just be what gives us home field for that game. Remaining 1.5 games up on the Stamps was crucial, I'm not going to bemoan the aesthetics of how it occurred.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
People are too picky about an undefeated team IMO.

This team is showing Patriots-esque level depth and playbook dominance right now. Playbook dominance helps your depth win games when your starters are hurt. And almost all our starters are hurt right now.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I can't believe how well the Esks keep playing despite the injuries. I don't care if the Ti-Cats are bad it's unreal to keep winning when this many guys are hurt.

I like O'Neill as a punter a lot more than Whyte, i hope he sticks around when Whyte returns. I know he takes up a roster spot but i always thought having a good punter who can also kick FG's in a pinch was a valuable thing.

Haven't been able to complain about too many coaching decisions but i don't understand not taking a shot at the end zone at the end of the 1st half, 8 seconds is plenty of time to run a play. Not a horrible decision to be safe but i wasn't a fan either. The gamble at the end was obviously questionable too. I don't mind gambling that much but having a small guy like Perkins jump a line of giants wasn't going to work, have him kick it to the outside and catch them off guard or give it to a guy with a better vertical leap.

Also remember when Benevides was maligned last year? God he's done an amazing job. That front 4 makes it easy in some retrospects but he's been so good at patching the rest of the D together.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
I used to really like the video highlights on Esks.com but recently it seems to be an after thought. I would think they would at least show all the scoring plays or at least the touchdowns but they don't. A few weeks ago there was a game where we racked up a ton of sacks according to the posts here but I couldn't even tell by watching the highlights. I think it was just a year ago I was praising esks.com because their highlights videos were so lengthy and inclusive (compared to the Oilers for example although the NHL really upped their game last season).

Anyway 6-0 is damn impressive considering our injuries. I could care less about the close scores or sloppy play.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Who were the two guys that got hurt? I was at the game last night and didnt see much of Duke Williams.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Who were the two guys that got hurt? I was at the game last night and didnt see much of Duke Williams.
Duke Williams didn't play as he was already hurt. Sorensen and Zylstra got hurt in the game and didn't play afterwords. It sounds like Parrish may have gotten injured as well, so we might be down three more players heading into next week.

One interesting thing is the emergence of Bryant Mitchell as a legit receiver in this league. With 203 yards in 3 games, that's a 1200 yard pace. We have crazy depth at receiver, and I don't know what we do when Zylstra, Williams, and Bowman are all healthy. You can only really play four of Zylstra, Williams, Bowman, Mitchell, and Hazelton and that keeps both Chambers and Behar on our bench (which hurts our ratio).

As crazy as it is to think, given Bowman's salary, maybe you look at moving him to a team desperate for a receiver and stick with Zylstra, Williams, Mitchell, and Hazelton? That extra cap space could allow us to bring in some legit help at linebacker and safety.

All I know is that Mitchell is too talented to go back to the practice roster when guys get healthy, and given what he's shown so far, someone will claim him if we try to hide him.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

You didn't see any of Duke WILLIAMS. He didn't play.

(I hate how my iPad capitalizes that surname and won't let me fix it.)

Justin Sorensen went down and it caused a huge problem as they used up all their linemen and had no backup when Groulx was hurt. It was painful to watch.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
If Saskatchewan wins today the entire western conference will be ahead of the east in the league standings. Not good for the CFL. Maybe it's time to eliminate the conferences.

Go, Lions.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Hamiltons offence for whatever reason does give our D trouble. At this point though I think it's clear we're the team to beat with Calgary just behind us. Can't wait for the labour day series.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Hamiltons offence for whatever reason does give our D trouble. At this point though I think it's clear we're the team to beat with Calgary just behind us. Can't wait for the labour day series.

Agreed, except I'd reverse the order on top. With our injuries Calgary has to be the favourite. We struggled with the team they crushed. Unfortunately, we have too many players on the 6 and some key players done for the year.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Agreed, except I'd reverse the order on top. With our injuries Calgary has to be the favourite. We struggled with the team they crushed. Unfortunately, we have too many players on the 6 and some key players done for the year.
The X factor for us is watching Reilly this year I really feel like he's reached a whole different level. I think he's distinctly the best player in the league at this point. He's just so, so clutch this year.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Does anyone know what happened to Chris Schultz from TSN? He hasn't been on TV in like a month.

Also lol @ the Riders.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
The only question left for Rider's fans is whether they can break the goose egg.

Having Chris Jones in your organization is like having a Dallas Eakins clone in control of every aspect of the team.

Pretty much a nightmare for any fanbase, and they're apparently paying Jones so much they can't really afford to fire him ...

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The only question left for Rider's fans is whether they can break the goose egg.

Having Chris Jones in your organization is like having a Dallas Eakins clone in control of every aspect of the team.

Pretty much a nightmare for any fanbase, and they're apparently paying Jones so much they can't really afford to fire him ...
My buddy who works for the Eskimos told me Jones is what he is he's a brilliant coach but he's not a GM. There was this false perception outside of the Eskimos organization than Jones had a huge say in personnel decisions but it's not true. Hervey built that team, jones coached it. Jones is completely over his head as GM.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Duke Williams didn't play as he was already hurt. Sorensen and Zylstra got hurt in the game and didn't play afterwords. It sounds like Parrish may have gotten injured as well, so we might be down three more players heading into next week.

One interesting thing is the emergence of Bryant Mitchell as a legit receiver in this league. With 203 yards in 3 games, that's a 1200 yard pace. We have crazy depth at receiver, and I don't know what we do when Zylstra, Williams, and Bowman are all healthy. You can only really play four of Zylstra, Williams, Bowman, Mitchell, and Hazelton and that keeps both Chambers and Behar on our bench (which hurts our ratio).

As crazy as it is to think, given Bowman's salary, maybe you look at moving him to a team desperate for a receiver and stick with Zylstra, Williams, Mitchell, and Hazelton? That extra cap space could allow us to bring in some legit help at linebacker and safety.

All I know is that Mitchell is too talented to go back to the practice roster when guys get healthy, and given what he's shown so far, someone will claim him if we try to hide him.

Salary doesn't even need to be a consideration. Bowman has always been bad for drops, but it was getting ridiculous this year before he got hurt. The other guys are flat out better at this point. Hazelton has assumed the role of possession receiver and is doing a damn fine job. Such is the nature of football; guys go from all-stars to also-rans overnight in this sport, and IMO that's the stage Bowman is at.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
People are too picky about an undefeated team IMO.

This team is showing Patriots-esque level depth and playbook dominance right now. Playbook dominance helps your depth win games when your starters are hurt. And almost all our starters are hurt right now.

Are you really shocked? People were complaining about the quality of the team after we won the Grey Cup in 15.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Are you really shocked? People were complaining about the quality of the team after we won the Grey Cup in 15.

While I'm not shocked people react like this to an undefeated team, there has to be props that the team is still competing even with the amount of injuries happening. And those saying Calgary is better, they could be better on the starting lineup, but people forgot how quickly Calgary went down when they lost one key player (Cornish) and couldn't recover from that until they got Messam. We've been tested with our injuries and we still overcame those challenges. Calgary hasn't had to endure what we have happen to us yet. At this point, I'm starting to think we have the inside edge on them just because every player we put in seems to be buying into the playbook and it's working. Perkins and Van are a good example. Both have been playing really well and they both were question marks before playing.

Give this team a chance. I didn't before the season started but now I will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad