Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread 2.0: 7 - 5

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
For some reason people act like Calgary is some dynasty that is the best team until it is proven that they're not. We're the undefeated team in spite of ludicrous amounts of injuries, and Mike Reilly has led a team to the Grey Cup more recently than Bo-Levi "never loses a game...except when he does" Mitchell. If anybody should be considered the best team until proven otherwise, it is the Eskimos.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
For some reason people act like Calgary is some dynasty that is the best team until it is proven that they're not. We're the undefeated team in spite of ludicrous amounts of injuries, and Mike Reilly has led a team to the Grey Cup more recently than Bo-Levi "never loses a game...except when he does" Mitchell. If anybody should be considered the best team until proven otherwise, it is the Eskimos.

Actually I haven't seen any posts that suggests this. The season ebbs and flows...teams play dominant at times.
What I have seen (and I agree with) is that we wont know how good this team is until they play the Stamps. The Stamps have elevated their game...so much so that they have been dominant in all 3 phases of the game the past few weeks.

I want to see how the Esks match up. Hopefully they will get some players back before then because the Esks will need all hands on deck.

I watch every CFL game and as it stands right now (despite the records) I think the Stamps are a better team simply based on how dominant their game is right now.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
My buddy who works for the Eskimos told me Jones is what he is he's a brilliant coach but he's not a GM. There was this false perception outside of the Eskimos organization than Jones had a huge say in personnel decisions but it's not true. Hervey built that team, jones coached it. Jones is completely over his head as GM.

I remember readers the Riders's forum not long after Chris Jones was hired and they were talking about him being an established, outstanding scout and with him they'd be rolling in talent in no time. I wondered if they were confusing Chris Jones with Paul Jones. Maybe it wasn't just the fans who were confused.:laugh:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Tony Washington released today probably to make room for Colin Kelly who is due to come off the injured reserve list. Kelly was a significant off-season signing so perhaps it isn't too surprising.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I remember readers the Riders's forum not long after Chris Jones was hired and they were talking about him being an established, outstanding scout and with him they'd be rolling in talent in no time. I wondered if they were confusing Chris Jones with Paul Jones. Maybe it wasn't just the fans who were confused.:laugh:

Alit of people thought jones did the heavy lifting and hervey took credit. This season for the esks shows what hervey actually did. Hope his firing doesn't bite us later.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Actually I haven't seen any posts that suggests this. The season ebbs and flows...teams play dominant at times.
What I have seen (and I agree with) is that we wont know how good this team is until they play the Stamps. The Stamps have elevated their game...so much so that they have been dominant in all 3 phases of the game the past few weeks.

I want to see how the Esks match up. Hopefully they will get some players back before then because the Esks will need all hands on deck.

I watch every CFL game and as it stands right now (despite the records) I think the Stamps are a better team simply based on how dominant their game is right now.

I agree with this, but the same wait and see approach should be applied to Calgary. BC seems to be the consensus 3rd-best team in the league and we've beat them twice. Calgary has yet to play them. The only threatening opponent that Calgary has defeated is Winnipeg.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Wow, Reilly is one gutsy guy. Having a great year and somehow managing to stay healthy. Said it before though, we are dominating in the trenches on both sides of the ball, and that is key in this game. The play of the front D line is taking the pressure off the linebackers and backfield and really helping Benevides game planning. Nice to have the luxury of rushing 4 and constantly getting pressure. Willis having career year(didn't see that coming) and Ladler becoming a star (saw it coming) The Oline has kept Reilly upright for the most part and it seems when he does get nailed, it's a cover sack. A couple of our Canadian backups are now coming into their own and that really helps. The receivers really seem to be making all the catches with very few drops, but they don't do anything with Reilly on his back or running for his life.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Wow, Reilly is one gutsy guy. Having a great year and somehow managing to stay healthy. Said it before though, we are dominating in the trenches on both sides of the ball, and that is key in this game. The play of the front D line is taking the pressure off the linebackers and backfield and really helping Benevides game planning. Nice to have the luxury of rushing 4 and constantly getting pressure. Willis having career year(didn't see that coming) and Ladler becoming a star (saw it coming) The Oline has kept Reilly upright for the most part and it seems when he does get nailed, it's a cover sack. A couple of our Canadian backups are now coming into their own and that really helps. The receivers really seem to be making all the catches with very few drops, but they don't do anything with Reilly on his back or running for his life.[/QUOTE

I think you have hit on a few key points. The back-up Canadian O-linemen are now ready to play and have enough experience to hold their own in a real game.

What a great move by Brock to pick up Boateng in a later round. It's unbelievable how people asked "what position can this guy play?" He is tailor made for that rush end spot in the rotation and looks to be every bit as effective as Howard is.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Chambers is finally getting his shot at a full time job in the receiving core as a starter tonight. Let's see if he seizes the moment.

With the exception of Beard everybody on the starting O-line tonight has a lot of experience so the running and pass protection game should be in decent shape.

Young starting over Hightower in the D-backfield? Is that a misprint?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I'm glad they limited the challenges to one per team but it sucks when you have to use yours because the refs somehow missed an obvious incompletion.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
I feel like we are gonna get a 10 yard penalty cause the ref smelt a fart

Ref " 10 yard penalty crop dusting an official offense"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad