Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Grey Cup Champions! : Jones leaves for greener pastures

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I can see him leaving, but I am curious as to what penalty there would be as he is under contract. (with the CFL, it would probably be a $50 fine)

and with all the free agents, I wonder who would go with him. If Jones is gone, I think Bowman is gone too, as one example.

By all reports Jones has been very important in bird dogging and recruiting many of the new players the past 2 years. He also has a strong following and would definitely influence Free Agents including some current Eskimo players. Grymes, Hinds and Sherritt being the main defensive FA's on the Eskimos.

If indeed Jones does leave (and I think he will) it will be a major blow to the Eskimo organization and at the same time be a major shot in the arm for a rival.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Loved to see the two Canadian receivers make important contributions in the big game for us. Shamwad Chambers two great catch and runs, earning him Canadian player of the game. All this after missing most of the season from a terrible injury last year. And Nate Coehorn coming up with an absolutely huge catch near the goal line, allowing us to get the all important game winning one yard plunge. Said this all season, he's turned into a fine possession receiver, making the tough unheralded catches to keep drives alive.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I can see him leaving, but I am curious as to what penalty there would be as he is under contract. (with the CFL, it would probably be a $50 fine)

and with all the free agents, I wonder who would go with him. If Jones is gone, I think Bowman is gone too, as one example.

Why would there be a penalty? If he's under contract and we let him talk to Sask then I don't see why there would be an issue. Doesn't this happen all the time in the CFL?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
By all reports Jones has been very important in bird dogging and recruiting many of the new players the past 2 years. He also has a strong following and would definitely influence Free Agents including some current Eskimo players. Grymes, Hinds and Sherritt being the main defensive FA's on the Eskimos.

If indeed Jones does leave (and I think he will) it will be a major blow to the Eskimo organization and at the same time be a major shot in the arm for a rival.

You bet, it's not only his coaching skills, but also loyalty of players as well as superb ability to find talent.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Why would there be a penalty? If he's under contract and we let him talk to Sask then I don't see why there would be an issue. Doesn't this happen all the time in the CFL?

normally I think it happens when a coach is on the last year of their contract not when they have 2 more years on it.
didn't Jones get extended to 2017?

and If Jones does leave, I hope nobody blames the esks. I don't think there would be much the organization could do in this situation.
I also don't see any reason why anyone would hope Hervey gives up his job for jones to be the GM here, too.
Jones has proven he is a good coach, but I don't see anything so far that would make him a good GM. not that the riders would care about being over the salary cap.

no use worrying about it until it happens, I suppose. just a shame the season is over and we have to go back to watching the oilers.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
normally I think it happens when a coach is on the last year of their contract not when they have 2 more years on it.
didn't Jones get extended to 2017?

and If Jones does leave, I hope nobody blames the esks. I don't think there would be much the organization could do in this situation.
I also don't see any reason why anyone would hope Hervey gives up his job for jones to be the GM here, too.
Jones has proven he is a good coach, but I don't see anything so far that would make him a good GM. not that the riders would care about being over the salary cap.

no use worrying about it until it happens, I suppose. just a shame the season is over and we have to go back to watching the oilers.
You are correct. He was extended until 2017.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/05/...head-coach-chris-jones-through-the2016-season

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Honestly, if Jones wants to talk to Saskatchewan, I don't think you can stop him, but I would make it clear we're going to be seeking compensation. You don't want a disgruntled head coach, especially if he wants more power or a higher position.

Let him go become GM/HC of the Roughriders, but ask for a 1st round pick as compensation.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Anyone heard anything about the dressing room sale? I'm guessing it will be Dec. 12. I ALWAYS go when we win the title to find a nice championship souvenir for my birthday or Christmas.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Couldn't help it - had to look at some of the in-game comments in the game thread. Apparently some people think a game is done after 10 minutes. Lol.:laugh:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Some may not believe me but even at 13-0 I thought we'd still win. I've followed the CFL for a very long time and that's far from an insurmountable deficit. I remember once in Clarke Stadium we trailed Hamilton by 28 points late in Q3 in a downpour. The stadium emptied but my friend and I hung in there and the team pulled the game out. I also remember the Grey Cup game in 1981 against Ottawa when we trailed 21-1 at half time and won.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Some may not believe me but even at 13-0 I thought we'd still win. I've followed the CFL for a very long time and that's far from an insurmountable deficit. I remember once in Clarke Stadium we trailed Hamilton by 28 points late in Q3 in a downpour. The stadium emptied but my friend and I hung in there and the team pulled the game out. I also remember the Grey Cup game in 1981 against Ottawa when we trailed 21-1 at half time and won.

Yes, I agree. And I was at that Hamilton game at old Clarke Park as well with a buddy of mine. We were absolutely soaked at halftime and a bunch of people left. Couldn't blame them in that one, given the circumstances, but boy, was it worth it for us to stick around. George McGowan caught a pass from Bruce Lemmerman with seconds left on the clock to win it.

And in the CFL, where you can literally score multiple touchdowns in a matter of minutes, no lead is safe. It upset me to see them so soft in the first few minutes, but I was more than willing to give this team some rope given what they've accomplished this year. I thought that the cream would rise, and it did. Not saying I am a Nostradamus, but geez, some people were chucking them under the bus mercilessly.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I thought they could still win too, but I also thought they were making it a lot harder on themselves than it needed to be, especially with the lame fumble.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Welp. That was embarrassing. And most of us called a shutout by a goalie playing his first game. Lol. Sad.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Almost as sad and embarrassing as posting in the wrong thread.:shakehead

oops. lol. didn't mean to put the oilers poison in here. It's been a while since I used a phone to post on hf. You guys didnt tell me those pop ups were finally gone. HAHA

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Wasn't at that game but remember it well we were camping in Jasper and they used to carry the games on afiarc CJYR radio. We were kicking back, enjoying it having some brewskies and lol. It was plenty entertaining even on the radio. Around 1973 if I'm not mistaken.

Watched the 81 game as well. tbh Can't say I enjoyed that game all too much. Ottawa wasn't a very good club, it was more Eskimos screw ups than anything that resulted in the huge deficit.

More than anything yesterday I was just pissed off with how it started and didn't want to see a game go down to the wire where anything could happen. We won but it was sure close to it not working out that way.

Also if we're being clear here re remember shellackings and nightmare games as well. 1977 Grey Cup, 1990 Western Final, games like that. Stuff gets planted in your mind that things can go real bad in a one game format.

Grey Cups are ALL about momentum. Either team can win it. Good teams lose, great teams lose.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
oops. lol. didn't mean to put the oilers poison in here. It's been a while since I used a phone to post on hf. You guys didnt tell me those pop ups were finally gone. HAHA

nice response. Can't really poison the waters now. Grey Cup is home and its not even broken yet. :laugh:

WTF with beer celebration yesterday? That's some cheap ass suds. Break out the champagne man. CFL budget, kind of funny.

At least it wasn't Pilsner. If the GC was played in Regina it might be.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Yes, I agree. And I was at that Hamilton game at old Clarke Park as well with a buddy of mine. We were absolutely soaked at halftime and a bunch of people left. Couldn't blame them in that one, given the circumstances, but boy, was it worth it for us to stick around. George McGowan caught a pass from Bruce Lemmerman with seconds left on the clock to win it.

And in the CFL, where you can literally score multiple touchdowns in a matter of minutes, no lead is safe. It upset me to see them so soft in the first few minutes, but I was more than willing to give this team some rope given what they've accomplished this year. I thought that the cream would rise, and it did. Not saying I am a Nostradamus, but geez, some people were chucking them under the bus mercilessly.

Wasn't at that game but remember it well we were camping in Jasper and they used to carry the games on afiarc CJYR radio. We were kicking back, enjoying it having some brewskies and lol. It was plenty entertaining even on the radio. Around 1973 if I'm not mistaken.

Watched the 81 game as well. tbh Can't say Igq enjoyed that game all too much. Ottawa wasn't a very good club, it was more Eskimos screw ups than anything that resulted in the huge deficit.

More than anything yesterday I was just pissed off with how it started and didn't want to see a game go down to the wire where anything could happen. We won but it was sure close to it not working out that way.

Also if we're being clear here re remember shellackings and nightmare games as well. 1977 Grey Cup, 1990 Western Final, games like that. Stuff gets planted in your mind that things can go real bad in a one game format.

Grey Cups are ALL about momentum. Either team can win it. Good teams lose, great teams lose.

Careful, some whipper snapper will slam you/us old folks for reminiscing about the olden days.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Safe to say the team name isn't changing in response to pressure from media?

I couldn't fathom the team being called anything but the Esks.

I thought it was cool that the name originated as an insult from the Calgary sports fans in the early 1900s, and we just sort of adopted it and were proud of it. Jokes on you, Calgary.

I know what the Inuit leader said about the name, but I'd think that Esks fans view the name with reverence to the natives' history - tough, self-sufficient, hardy. I wonder if a dialogue with the fans might convince him that we have reverence for their history, despite the seemingly ever-changing opinion of the name through history.

If we named our team after a group while that group called themselves Eskimos, and then they stopped using that name many years later, do they have a right to stop us from using that name?

I'm of the opinion that words are just words. Society can make them mean whatever they want, but they shouldn't carry too much weight. What do you guys think?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Regarding Chris Jones....anybody know if Jones has a clause in his contract that grants him the right to pursue career advancement?

If he doesn't have that written in to his contract then I really cant see why the Eskimos would allow the Riders to discuss a GM position with Jones.

Interesting times.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Couldn't help it - had to look at some of the in-game comments in the game thread. Apparently some people think a game is done after 10 minutes. Lol.:laugh:
Pretty sure most games were like that this year. This team was also deemed as no good most the year as well but quite a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad