Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Grey Cup Champions! : Jones leaves for greener pastures

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Just because you hire a proven coach is not a guarantee that you'll be out of the league basement. See McLellan, Todd... :sarcasm:

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
BIG difference. Esks core isn't rotten.

I was referring more to the Riders than the Esks with that statement.

Lots of Riders fans think that they'll go from worst to first in an instant with Jones. What they don't realize is that they really have no core to speak of seeing as Jones jettisoned just about everyone off of the 2015 team.

It's going to be a "rougher ride" than anyone realizes.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
How to gain internet popularity among a community of sports fans:

1) Cause controversy by predicting defending champs to finish at bottom of standings

2) Pander to the largest fanbase in the league who had previously finished at bottom of standings by predicting them to finish at top of standings.

The Esks have the largest fanbase in the league.

The riders have the loudest if bodily functions count..

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
now that he's not our coach, maybe people won't spend so much time defending Jones when he shows no class.
I don't know. To me, saying "because he's a winner", is never an excuse for a jackass.

I'd have rather people just defend him by saying he's a football obsessed hillbilly who didn't know any better.
closer to the truth, at least.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
now that he's not our coach, maybe people won't spend so much time defending Jones when he shows no class.
I don't know. To me, saying "because he's a winner", is never an excuse for a jackass.

I'd have rather people just defend him by saying he's a football obsessed hillbilly who didn't know any better.

Thats pretty harsh...what makes Jones a hillbilly and a jackass? Like him or not the man is an excellent coach.

You sure this isnt just a case of sour grapes on your part? :D:dunno:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I'm not quite why you would refer to him as a jackass. Other than to leave us for a big promotion, which is standard procedure in this league and others, what has he done to earn that title? As for the hillbilly reference, is that because he has a Tenessee drawl? I always found the guy to sound intelligent when he spoke with a folksy appeal.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Perhaps he's referring to the whole handshake thing that got people on his bad side during his tenure as HC here.

Personally, I think he's an excellent coach with an outspoken philosophy of leading his team in his way, no questions asked. Many times it worked out well for him, and sometimes (like the fake punt against Calgary in 2014) it didn't work so well.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I'm not quite why you would refer to him as a jackass. Other than to leave us for a big promotion, which is standard procedure in this league and others, what has he done to earn that title? As for the hillbilly reference, is that because he has a Tenessee drawl? I always found the guy to sound intelligent when he spoke with a folksy appeal.

little things like the k-days situation, handshakes, intentionally missing national anthems. small things that made me call him a jackass.
personal opinion. I know most of you thought it was just fine and nit picking to complain about it.
I thought otherwise.

I think he's a great coach, but his hardcore all football focus left me wanting.
you can be a winner and a classy person. didn't have to be one or the other.

just calling him names now because he's the enemy. I don't have to like him.
I can admit to sometimes being be small and petty. but I'm not representing a team and a city.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

I'm thankful of the cup and that Jones was a part of that and getting this team playing good football.

I'd feel salty if we lost in the playoffs though. Jones would be getting it from me with both barrels in that case for being involved in a negotiation during the playoffs. That was pure ****. But as long as we won he gets a pass on that score. Still don't like it, but I'll hold no grudge. Winning cures a lot of ills. :laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
little things like the k-days situation, handshakes, intentionally missing national anthems. small things that made me call him a jackass.
personal opinion. I know most of you thought it was just fine and nit picking to complain about it.
I thought otherwise.

I think he's a great coach, but his hardcore all football focus left me wanting.
you can be a winner and a classy person. didn't have to be one or the other.

just calling him names now because he's the enemy. I don't have to like him.
I can admit to sometimes being be small and petty. but I'm not representing a team and a city.

What on Earth was the kdays situation? Did Jones kick your neighbors puppy as well?

just joking man but damn that's some salt. Eskimos are Grey Cup Champs. Be happy. :D

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Perhaps he's referring to the whole handshake thing that got people on his bad side during his tenure as HC here.

Personally, I think he's an excellent coach with an outspoken philosophy of leading his team in his way, no questions asked. Many times it worked out well for him, and sometimes (like the fake punt against Calgary in 2014) it didn't work so well.

Agreed. He made some mistakes in his first season but was a quick study in terms of improving in game decisions.

I suspect that the pettiness on this board over the handshake et al wouldn't exist if he was still the Esks coach.

I hope the Esks beat the Riders in every game (nothings changed for me in that regard) but name calling the coach just because he accepted a better paying promotion with a rival team is a little hard to understand.

Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad