Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Grey Cup Champions! : Jones leaves for greener pastures

Status
Not open for further replies.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Memorial Cup champs....Grey Cup champs....we might have to wait a while longer for the "other one"! ;) congrats to the Esks! 2015 Grey Cup Champions. it has such a nice ring to it, doncha think....:D

Jun 9, 2011
Maybe the 'City of Champions' sign was bad juju? We need to suss out all of these items and burn them before we move into the Rogers whateveritsiplacespaceareancentre.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Considering that the argos have been around a lot longer it's pretty impressive.

Yeah, the Argos won half of their Grey Cups before most of the other present day clubs were in the league. The argos have 9 or 10 since the Esks have been in the league. One of their Grey Cups, 1996, was the highly controversial *Win* against the Eskimos where the Eskimos were robbed by inept calls.

Since 1950 the Eskimos have the most cups.

Gambl0r83*

Get these guys on the ice rink, their resiliency is just amazing. Down 13-0, one huddle and they come back to win the championship :handclap:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Plus

Albert Golden Bears hockey CIS Championship team.

Been a lot of champs in the calendar year.

NHL Lottery Champi...no no no.

In all honesty though, if Cornish is set to retire, we have a great shot to repeat next year. The O and D cores are fantastic. The O-line was a line outmatched today, but some of that was due to Ottawa's killer pass rush. I was worried that Reilly wasn't going to get any time to throw the ball some downs, what with unchecked blitzes. But the line held just enough on the right downs.

A lot of things went just right enough for us to come back. So happy right now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Great to see the Esks gut out a win today in the Championship Game. Not the prettiest of wins but who really cares....certainly not me. :D

So sweet to see Reilly holding the cup.

Not so sweet to see Jones leave for Regina. TSN radio reporting that Jones is headed to Regina and they expect it will be announced in the coming week.

The Riders look like they will get a very good football man and they essentially give the Esks the finger at the same time. Sounds like tampering to me.
Kind of puts a damper on the big win today.

Oh well.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Regina? Hmm...Must be a bidding war for his services. You'd think we could outbid anyone, thus he must want to leave.

Oh well, if Hervey has someone in mind that's on the same page as the players and can mesh with the staff, maybe it's going to be just fine.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
TSN radio reporting that Jones is headed to Regina and they expect it will be announced in the coming week.
Did you hear this yourself or read it online? Just wondering, because the same thing was posted over at Esksfans and it was disputed by another poster. I saw that fat slob Gary Lawless waddle up to Jones as soon as the final kneel down happened and knew immediately what he asked. Lawless later tweeted that Jones wouldn't comment on the Rider rumour, and according to the poster at EF, that response was the basis for the "Jones is going to Regina" talk on TSN Radio.

Not to say it won't happen, there appears to be a lot of smoke and the Riders have managed to negotiate through the media. Dirty move but I guess they can't be penalized for it since they have third parties doing the talking right now.

Lost in all this is Jones still being under contract with the Eskimos through next season.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
I was a little frustrated with the video guys. Should have been another challenge on one of Ottawa's catches that showed the ball was clearly trapped on the ground. That and an obvious PI that almost cost us the game.

However the boys battled hard and won a game that could have gone either way.

Mike Reilly was amazing. And I agree with Replacement, the O-Line sort of let him down and he found a way to get it done.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Regina? Hmm...Must be a bidding war for his services. You'd think we could outbid anyone, thus he must want to leave.

Oh well, if Hervey has someone in mind that's on the same page as the players and can mesh with the staff, maybe it's going to be just fine.

From what the TSN article mentioned it Jones would go to Regina where he'd be the GM/Head Coach and get a lot more than the 310k he is getting now. It was then suggested we'd go with Maas or if we were to focus on defense Orlando Steinauer.

Congrats to the Esks. Not the excitement I use to get from a game, but nice to see Reilly get that cup.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
The last thread is closed so I couldn't quote and reply to the whiner who thinks the officials have a vendetta against the Esks. Give me a flipping break. That was a decently officiated game and if errors were made they were errors. There is no conspiracy against our team.

Congrats to the Esks.

agreed. I thought the refs had their best game of the year. they did a good job yesterday.

Man, Reilly took a beating, too. Talk about willing your way to victory.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
If Jones does leave, what kind of toothless penalty would be applied since Jones is under contract with the esks?

also, anyone know what the winners shares were for the cup victory?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I had meant to mention it last night but Reilly's leadership went to god status last night. Looking injured after those shots to the ribs, puts up two perfect throws to draw two PI flags, makes an unbelievable throw to Coehorn on the run to enable us to gamble for the TD on 3rd down and then scrambles for the Grey Cup clinching scramble to effectively run out the clock. Also someone who has to be mentioned is the offensive lineman who pushed Shavers for the first down prior to that on 2nd and 2... looked like he was definitely going to get stopped short until that. A remarkably heads up play in that situation and circumstance.

I'm really proud of these guys. They deserve it.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Not so sweet to see Jones leave for Regina. TSN radio reporting that Jones is headed to Regina and they expect it will be announced in the coming week.

The Riders look like they will get a very good football man and they essentially give the Esks the finger at the same time. Sounds like tampering to me.

Oh well.

Huh?! I heard about the speculation and them wanting to talk to him but I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere. I imagine Hervey will go above and beyond to keep Jones in Edmonton. They'll find someway to make it work.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Since the Esks I beleive denied the Rider permission to talk to jones while still in season I view these Jones to Riders comments as Eklund like.

For winning the cup $16,000, loser get $8,000

The oilers should make the whole team watch that game and see what it takes to be a winner.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Great to see the Esks gut out a win today in the Championship Game. Not the prettiest of wins but who really cares....certainly not me. :D

So sweet to see Reilly holding the cup.

Oh well.

link?
no one I've seen has conclusively said Jones is leaving for the Riders

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
link?
no one I've seen has conclusively said Jones is leaving for the Riders

Right.

All they say is that the Riders are interested(Well no **** :laugh:) and then speculate that he might be convinced to leave by a big salary increase.

Seems unlikely to me that Hervey would let him go over a little bit of money, but I guess that's happened to us before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad