Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah, I meant specifically within the West. Ottawa got gutted, but still only needs to finish ahead of Toronto and Montreal to host a playoff game thanks to the CFL continuing to march forward with an archaic playoff format. 6-12 might be enough in the East, 9-9 could have you miss out in the West.

I do think getting away from Maas' atrocious play calling will help him. Reilly isn't a guy you want throwing bombs every play, much better in situations where he can roll out and hit guys on the run with mid-range passes.

To be fair, he had his best numbers under Maas.

Reactions: bone

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
To be fair, he had his best numbers under Maas.

Yeah, those who make these comments confuse me. Don't people realize that QBs that have been in his systems have led the league in passing 5 years in a row.

Ricky Ray 2014 (Maas QB coach)
Henry Burris 2015 (Maas OC)
Mike Reilly 2016 (Maas OC/HC)
Mike Reilly 2017 (Maas HC)
Mike Reilly 2018 (Maas OC/HC)

Also the QB was the MOP in 2 of those 5 years, Burris 2015 and Reilly 2017.

Furthermore, Burris best passing season was 2015 and Reilly three best passing seasons were 2016-2018.

Maas' systems bring out the best in his QBs, not the worst.

Yes, there are flaws in Maas the head coach, but he's quality at getting strong performance out of quarterbacks.

Granted, down the stretch last year, something was off with his offense with Reilly, but a half season sample size doesn't automatically kill what has a pretty strong multi-year run of success.

There could be circumstances behind that are unknown to us in the half season slump that could be tied to Reilly directly (he did have a new born baby living with him) or chemistry issues as the whole team seemed a little off particularly in the second half.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beerfish and Cloned

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How many teams realistically have room for him right now? I honestly don't know what other teams as whole have done in free agency

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
How many teams realistically have room for him right now? I honestly don't know what other teams as whole have done in free agency

B.C. would have loved to have him but I think they have saved their cash to sign Manny Arceneaux who is still listed as a free agent. Manny is the main-man in the B.C. offence.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
With the way the scheduling is these days and the crossover, it doesn’t really matter all that much either way.

It matters to me.
I dont want to see Walker lining up in a rival uniform....for me that includes most if not all of the Western teams.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Two Stamp receivers join the Esks in the space of a week? Sacrilege. Some of my buddies will be in tears.

I would guess with Parker signing here that the EE think Behar is gone.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
On the note of coaching...

I was listening to the Maas FA presser yesterday and noticed that JM seems different this year. Sure, he just about dropped the "s-word" at 00:30, but that near-blooper aside, it sounds to me like JM has an extra level of statesmanship and maturity that hasn't been there in the past. Take a listen and you'll hear what I mean.

Notice his emphasis on unity, character, culture, and respecting the mentors on his staff. Judging by these comments, I think the disaster of last season has weighed heavily on his mind, and he's determined not to let that happen again. Time and results will tell the true story...but for now, I'm feeling a bit more optimistic than I was at the end of last season.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
James Franklin sucks. I hope for his sake it’s long term big moola.
Interesting comment, because about a year ago, I would bet the concensus was he was going to be the next big thing, and was the one that got away. He admittedly didn't do well last year in a starters role (his first), but I'll give him a bit more time before slamming him.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Two Stamp receivers join the Esks in the space of a week? Sacrilege. Some of my buddies will be in tears.

I would guess with Parker signing here that the EE think Behar is gone.
I don't think Parker is great shakes, but I do think he's an upgrade over Behar.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
On the note of coaching...

I was listening to the Maas FA presser yesterday and noticed that JM seems different this year. Sure, he just about dropped the "s-word" at 00:30, but that near-blooper aside, it sounds to me like JM has an extra level of statesmanship and maturity that hasn't been there in the past. Take a listen and you'll hear what I mean.

Notice his emphasis on unity, character, culture, and respecting the mentors on his staff. Judging by these comments, I think the disaster of last season has weighed heavily on his mind, and he's determined not to let that happen again. Time and results will tell the true story...but for now, I'm feeling a bit more optimistic than I was at the end of last season.
I hope so. He should only get 7 more chances and then lay the boom down if things don't improve.;)

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Interesting comment, because about a year ago, I would bet the concensus was he was going to be the next big thing, and was the one that got away. He admittedly didn't do well last year in a starters role (his first), but I'll give him a bit more time before slamming him.
You give him more time, it doesn’t matter to me. He’s not very good. I’ll be happy to eat crow if he even has an average season.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You give him more time, it doesn’t matter to me. He’s not very good. I’ll be happy to eat crow if he even has an average season.
Doesn't matter to me either, he doesn't play for us. Not about eating crow, but if that time comes, fill your boots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad