Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v5

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Times like these......we could use some positivity.....unfortunately Moneyguy took his ball and went home:help:

And what positivity would that be? Defending Maas? Advising that there is an offensive lineman coming up from the states to save us? Advising that all are safe in the org, except the odd special teams coordinator here and there? Darrell Walker is a quick healer?

Perhaps you have some super positivity stuff you can provide in his absence to provide cheer to everyone. If not, make some shit up.;)

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
You know what gets me? Is side from winning in general, the fan experience hasn't even changed.

They've added a few side shows that's it. Its not like they've introduced wifi in the stadium or anything. And really we dont need it... just win baby.

I'm not sure if there's sarcasm in here, but wifi was added some time ago. I know as one of the hot spots partially blocks our view.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Winnipeg's defense has been decent against bad competition this year, but better teams have hung plenty of points on them. Actually their defense is a lot like our offense,which looked good against the Als, injury-riddled Calgary and early season BC...crap against everyone else. But credit to them last night, even though I think the Golden Bears defense could probably keep a Maas-coached offense contained at this point.

Our defense had a chance to swing some field position when it was still 3-0, but then got scorched on 2nd and long. And I agree, not picking off Nichols at least once is flat out terrible. But overall, they did as good as could reasonably be hoped for under the circumstances. 10 Winnipeg points were 100% the fault of the offense/special teams disaster. The defence held Winnipeg to 14 non- garbage time points. You should win every single time when that happens in this league. Amazingly we got blown out under those conditions.
Actually Nichols did get picked off once, with about 5 minutes left, but it didn't matter by then. At least he was smart enough to recognize his defence and special teams were getting the job done, and just stick to quick high percentage passes, and handing off to Andrew Harris.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
^ Agree there. They have the best offensive player in the league, who's Canadian to boot, and a great offensive line. Nichols is the glaring weak spot. If they ever got wise and started Streveler, look out.

Streveler looked good in the game one against our porous defence, and then has had spot duty here and there. I agree, there is potential with him, but nothing is a guarantee in this league. Franklin found out this year how hard it is to finally become a starter and how short the leash can be when you're green and you get exposed.

Last edited:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
And what positivity would that be? Defending Maas? Advising that there is an offensive lineman coming up from the states to save us? Advising that all are safe in the org, except the odd special teams coordinator here and there? Darrell Walker is a quick healer?

Perhaps you have some super positivity stuff you can provide in his absence to provide cheer to everyone. If not, make some **** up.;)

you forgot that he also defended Rhodes a fair bit, too.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I like how they've sacrificed the Special Teams co-ordinator as if that will make the fan base less, as Gord nicely states, disgusted.

They need to get to firing.

If this is the start of mass firings, then at least something positive got accomplished (if you can call a firing positive, but the way things have been going, I guess it is.) Our special teams were last in nearly every category, so something needed to be done. Just unfortunate it took them this long to figure that out. Pretty sure the lack of production from the highly touted new returner was the final nail in the coffin. If they continue to be unsuccessful with a new voice, then they need to move on to the final solution, and that is replacing the players that are on special teams.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If this is the start of mass firings, then at least something positive got accomplished (if you can call a firing positive, but the way things have been going, I guess it is.) Our special teams were last in nearly every category, so something needed to be done. Just unfortunate it took them this long to figure that out. Pretty sure the lack of production from the highly touted new returner was the final nail in the coffin. If they continue to be unsuccessful with a new voice, then they need to move on to the final solution, and that is replacing the players that are on special teams.
My issue is the team needs to stop having nights like they just had and embarrassing themselves fully. It's one thing to lose tough games, tight games, it's another to lay an egg, especially coming off a significant win.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Geez I wonder who could've saw that coming.

Unfortunately the offense is in the exact same boat, except the offense is expected to be out there around half of the game.

Hopefully the offense is changed as they see maybe it's not just a personnel issue. Have one of the top rushers in the league, one of the best qb's and what was suppose to be the best receiver group in the CFL. Good coaches can work with that, there are plays that you can run if your O-Line isn't doing it's job.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
My issue is the team needs to stop having nights like they just had and embarrassing themselves fully. It's one thing to lose tough games, tight games, it's another to lay an egg, especially coming off a significant win.
Especially at home. Home was suppose to be where we'd be able to be in every game.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Actually Nichols did get picked off once, with about 5 minutes left, but it didn't matter by then. At least he was smart enough to recognize his defence and special teams were getting the job done, and just stick to quick high percentage passes, and handing off to Andrew Harris.

You'll have to forgive me, I believe I was pretty much home by the time this would have occurred.

Streveler looked good in the game one against our porous defence, and then has had spot duty here and there. I agree, there is potential with him, but nothing is a guarantee in this league. Franklin found out this year how hard it is to finally become a starter and how short the leash can be when you're green and you get exposed.

Yeah Streveler is still largely untested. His physical tools seem superior to Nichols' though. Which isn't really saying much at this point. But it's more Nichols' awful decision making under pressure that makes him an untenable option at QB for a team with designs on winning a championship.

I half expect Nichols to be our starting QB next year. Winning being a low priority for the organization and whatnot.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
So @I am the Liquor is basically right.
The only way to hold the board accountable is by not buying tickets. Even then its a hope and pray process that they make the right decisions. There needs to be an actual accountability process installed otherwise the same people that have already made stupid decisions will just continue to make stupid decisions. On and on it goes.

I think the problem is that once attendance takes another dive and you get down to sub 20K for fans then its pretty tough to get back up again.

Anyway, listening to Maas today it sounds like Walker won't be back for a while so our number one receiver is one of Mitchell/Hazelton and to me Hazelton still looks injured.

I'd say time for an airlift but its getting tougher and tougher to get guys to come up to the CFL when you can make bigger bucks in the NFL on the practice roster than you do on a regular CFL roster. There won't be any miracle lift like 1972 this time.

Listening to Maas today was very interesting. Talk about downplaying the problems with the club. It sounded like maybe we had won 4 in a row and then had an off day. Accountability with the club is certainly a big issue.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think the problem is that once attendance takes another dive and you get down to sub 20K for fans then its pretty tough to get back up again.

Anyway, listening to Maas today it sounds like Walker won't be back for a while so our number one receiver is one of Mitchell/Hazelton and to me Hazelton still looks injured.

I'd say time for an airlift but its getting tougher and tougher to get guys to come up to the CFL when you can make bigger bucks in the NFL on the practice roster than you do on a regular CFL roster. There won't be any miracle lift like 1972 this time.

Listening to Maas today was very interesting. Talk about downplaying the problems with the club. It sounded like maybe we had won 4 in a row and then had an off day. Accountability with the club is certainly a big issue.

I just dont have a lot of faith in the same board that decided it was a good idea to hire a man like Len Rhodes...a man with no football background what so ever....to run the Football team.
That is a core issue and until it gets addressed this team will continue to flounder. That concerns me.

As for the interview...I will have to check it out. Do you have a link?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I just dont have a lot of faith in the same board that decided it was a good idea to hire a man like Len Rhodes...a man with no football background what so ever....to run the Football team.
That is a core issue and until it gets addressed this team will continue to flounder. That concerns me.

Edmonton Eskimos (@EdmontonEsks) | Twitter

On the Twitter page-- be forewarned it doesn't give you a warm and fuzzy.

Reactions: guymez

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Just listened to it...man...were you ever right.

I am not sure what to think at this point.
:laugh: Thinking might be counter productive but its another example of what happens when people have been told that they can't be replaced.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
:laugh: Thinking might be counter productive but its another example of what happens when people have been told that they can't be replaced.

Man o man.

Seriously...what is your take away from this interview and the events of the past few weeks?
Not necessarily on the roster but from a management/coaching perspective.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, I have no special insights on the matter but....

It seems to me that we have had one effective offensive play all year. Williams or Walker run a simple fly pattern and Reilly (who does not have a cannon for an arm) underthrows the route by a few yards which in the case of Williams is an advantage because of his leaping ability. Hence all the circus catches that bailed us out in the 7 wins we do have. Now Reilly's long ball accuracy has gone cold and these 2 guys are hurt so you have to fall back on another offensive strategy but what does that leave? We haven't been very effective with other stuff and opposition defences know this.

You notice today how Maas said "I have to find a way to get the ball to other guys" but it looked like he was asking himself the question and not actually answering the media's question.

It again speaks to the idea of having an inventive offensive mind in charge and I just don't see it. My takeaway is that the coaching staff doesn't really know what to do. I'm sure Maas is a nice guy off the field but I don't see a general who is really in charge on the sidelines.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well, I have no special insights on the matter but....

It seems to me that we have had one effective offensive play all year. Williams or Walker run a simple fly pattern and Reilly (who does not have a cannon for an arm) underthrows the route by a few yards which in the case of Williams is an advantage because of his leaping ability. Hence all the circus catches that bailed us out in the 7 wins we do have. Now Reilly's long ball accuracy has gone cold and these 2 guys are hurt so you have to fall back on another offensive strategy but what does that leave? We haven't been very effective with other stuff and opposition defences know this.

You notice today how Maas said "I have to find a way to get the ball to other guys" but it looked like he was asking himself the question and not actually answering the media's question.

It again speaks to the idea of having an inventive offensive mind in charge and I just don't see it. My takeaway is that the coaching staff doesn't really know what to do.

Thats pretty much the conclusion I have arrived at.
Maas isnt a particularly articulate speaker which is fine (he seems to be getting better) but what concerns me is that he had no answers. There were posters on here (@MoneyGuy et al) that were convinced that Maas was a coach with a very creative offensive mind.
I am definitely not getting that impression from hearing him speak and I am certainly not seeing evidence of it on the field.
What I am seeing is a limited ability to adjust and out maneuver (out coach) the opposition.
I see a coach that thinks the game vertically trying to coach against some opposition coaches that have the ability to think laterally. My concern is that we have seen Maas real good at this point (I believe that to be true) and he is what he is. Now in his defense he may just be overwhelmed with duties having taken on the Head Coaching and OC positions but that was his decision entirely. So its hard to give him a pass on not being self aware enough to know his own limitations. His actions on the sideline have been a very revealing example of his limited self awareness so I guess not knowing his limitations is self evident.

I think we learn a lot about people when things get really rough...right now things are rough and the captain of the ship isnt exactly inspiring confidence. I think he is in way over his head if you want my honest opinion.
We shall see what happens I guess. I hate to admit it but I find myself caring a little bit less as more time goes by.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Theres nothing wrong with the actual presser and kudos for Maas doing it. Showing more responsibility than anybody else in the org and going in front and answering questions. The reality is he was promoted to head coach which was going to be outside of his established experience. He was over promoted. Its not his fault he was given the position. Who would say "No, I'm not ready" What we needed with Maas as a head coach is understudies that had much more experience and could give other direction. Benefides has that experience but he's limited, and he's seemed quite content to just sit back and have a position and not make any waves.

Maas also is not way off in suggesting that special teams, and what occurs there has impacted the club. Football is very much a momentum type of sport and frankly the score could be 0-0 at halftime without special teams screwing up monumentally repeatedly. Its like the field is tilted. Both teams had the same offensive production and yet Bombers had huge field position advantage all day.

This was a composed Jason Maas thoughtfully answering questions. Can't fault him at all in this presser. Maas also spoke well to the results based business, that McDiarmid was sacrificed, wasn't pointing fingers, just that at this stage something has to happen. Included himself, as he often does, in criticism. I thought he was once again owning up actually. Theres been some growth in Maas over the last calendar year but the type of stuff you wished happened somewhere else before the incumbency here. Maas might make a decent coach somewhere else on the rebound. The one thing you can never take away is how much he cares. The org might not stress the importance of winning. I don't get that impression from Maas.

Oct 15, 2008

Perhaps you have some super positivity stuff you can provide in his absence to provide cheer to everyone. If not, make some **** up.;)
Theres nothing wrong with the actual presser and kudos for Maas doing it. Showing more responsibility than anybody else in the org and going in front and answering questions. The reality is he was promoted to head coach which was going to be outside of his established experience. He was over promoted. Its not his fault he was given the position. Who would say "No, I'm not ready" What we needed with Maas as a head coach is understudies that had much more experience and could give other direction. Benefides has that experience but he's limited, and he's seemed quite content to just sit back and have a position and not make any waves.

Maas also is not way off in suggesting that special teams, and what occurs there has impacted the club. Football is very much a momentum type of sport and frankly the score could be 0-0 at halftime without special teams screwing up monumentally repeatedly. Its like the field is tilted. Both teams had the same offensive production and yet Bombers had huge field position advantage all day.

This was a composed Jason Maas thoughtfully answering questions. Can't fault him at all in this presser. Maas also spoke well to the results based business, that McDiarmid was sacrificed, wasn't pointing fingers, just that at this stage something has to happen. Included himself, as he often does, in criticism. I thought he was once again owning up actually. Theres been some growth in Maas over the last calendar year but the type of stuff you wished happened somewhere else before the incumbency here. Maas might make a decent coach somewhere else on the rebound. The one thing you can never take away is how much he cares. The org might not stress the importance of winning. I don't get that impression from Maas.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
^I'm as annoyed as anybody with whats happening with the org but I don't see the presser itself as being at all bad. That's all I meant to say. I guess we could fault Maas for not being a credible head coach but we all know that already. Its beating dead donkeys which I know how to do too.;) If theres no answers or solutions coming from football ops then its pretty clear that the person that keeps these coaches on the field is at fault.

in anycase Football is not hockey. Due to playbooks, involved systems, you can't really changeover coaching effectively midseason. its year done and you hope for better coaches the next year.

I'm probably less impacted in the teams nosedive as I knew it would occur. This dog wasn't going to hunt with this lineup. Maintained that throughout.

Oct 15, 2008
After what happened at the end of last year and his defence of it afterwards, his inability and unwillingness to own it, he simply never should have gotten the chance to start the year.

So now they’ve wasted another year of Reilly in a year they are hosting the grey cup and now they are likely losing him after they let Franklin go....well it really doesn’t get much worse...

It’s like Lowe and Mact are in charge.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Hiring Rhodes isn't a bad idea if he at least decides to hire a football guy to run operations and he sticks to the business side of things.

No one should've thought given Sunderland ultimate power with no guidance from about was going to be a good idea.

I don't doubt that Maas and Sunderland could be good football guys in this league, but they needed some sort of mentor.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hiring Rhodes isn't a bad idea if he at least decides to hire a football guy to run operations and he sticks to the business side of things.

No one should've thought given Sunderland ultimate power with no guidance from about was going to be a good idea.

I don't doubt that Maas and Sunderland could be good football guys in this league, but they needed some sort of mentor.

I can get behind this.
Assuming of course that Rhodes is completely out of the Football Ops decision making once the football guy is hired.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
One interesting thing is how the Esks Org went full on Ottawa, Hiring Maas, and Sunderland and then with Sunderland bringing some of his past players here. Could never quite understand that. Ottawa, although they had GC success did so because they happen to be in the East where any team having a good year is practically a shoe in for a GC appearance. Really all you have to be in the east to reach the GC is be competent. Any given year in the east only 1,2 teams are competent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad