Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v5

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
^ Agree there. They have the best offensive player in the league, who's Canadian to boot, and a great offensive line. Nichols is the glaring weak spot. If they ever got wise and started Streveler, look out.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton

I actually think Reilly is headed out of the league next year. If not, I you're probably right - he's at least going out of town. Perhaps we're way off, but why would he stay to shorten his career with the aggression he faced with?

Anyway I'm left with a hope and prayer for next week and thereafter. They're in very tough. Sask starting to roll over Als as expected currently.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Special teams coach today...Maas and Rhodes in 5 games from now

Rhodes is untouchable unless the team misses the playoffs and Season ticket holders speak up.

As for Maas...I doubt very much Sunderland could fire him even if he wanted to. I think it would have to go through Rhodes first.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I’m surprised the special teams coach lasted as long as he did. Now that the heats on elsewhere it makes me wonder if he’s just the sacrificial lamb.

Reactions: The Batman

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Well as usual the organization took an extra 2 months to fire somebody after the fans all realized he was a dud, but better late than never. Baby steps. Hopefully Maas' head now moves into the guillotine.

Reactions: The Batman

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I’m surprised the special teams coach lasted as long as he did. Now that the heats on elsewhere it makes me wonder if he’s just the sacrificial lamb.

Thats my thinking as well.

The one thing I will say though is that despite bringing in a top Kick returner the returns didnt improve much. That tells me that maybe there is a blocking scheme issue which would be the ST coordinators responsibility.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
My take (2)

The little guys at halftime seemed to put in more effort!
So with the late field goal the fans around me and I start to feel some Ray of hope that the Esks will get back on track in second half.
NOPE!!! Got worse.
D on field forever. Reilly under constant blitzing pressure. Passes that did get off no one but Hazelton could catch, then even he had carpal tunnel after a while. Improper use of C.J. The list goes on. Never mind no points AGAIN in the second half, they never got close to the red zone. Add in a
pick-6 and there you have it.
Agree with poster who said Reilly was hurt coming in. I said at the time in 1st water when they went long to an open receiver, that WYD? I've never seen Mike Reilly overthrow a open WR that bad. When he did it again in the second half, I confirmed to myself that something is way off with him.
The fact that he was left in, only to be pounded more, made the Williams injury more painful to me. Somebody stated that this could be his last year here. Quite likely unless they can surround him with better quality. He is an incredible leader and warrior. Perhaps the 'offness' stems from tension in the room? Just a guess but it's got to be there no?
To me this is a coaching problem. The offence is letting the team down more than the D which certainly isn't any help at times. I'm not sure I can blame S as GM as much since the receiving core and quarterback are high end to me. My concern is once again with the front line. It's inexcusable that team's are getting through that easily. For God's sake there was 3 THREE! untouched bombers at Hugh blocking a punt! THREE!!!
I LIKE Jason Moss. I feel his tenure has been served though.

Finally my last take. The $2 dogs seemed very popular. I didnt stand in line for one. However I waltzed right up toward the end of halftime and, with no line up, purchased 2 beers. I told the old fella that I was very surprised as I've never been able to do that anytime before WITHOUT discounted beer! He told me that he had 66 24packs left at the time for his station and that there was not a chance they'd come close to selling even half that. Wow.

What a disaster of an event. Still ok with the organization trying. But I hope they look at every aspect of last night going toward- both on and off the
field - for improvement.

TY if you read all my ranting! Very pissed like others that this downward spiral continues. Especially this year with the big game local.
Out.
Good posts. I read through both of them. I agree with your assessment.

There’s so much to say about Maas but what bothered me the most was leaving Reilly in the game to continue getting pounded. Reilly had nothing going last night for whatever reason. Even if he wasn’t hurt, his poor play should have gotten him pulled just to get somebody else in for a change of pace. This drove me nuts last year during that long losing streak. As a fan you look for things that show Maas is evolving as a coach, learning. Leaving Reilly in when he isn’t getting anything done shows he isn’t learning anything. That he ended up getting hurt just makes it worse.

Reactions: RegDunlop
Oct 15, 2008
Well as usual the organization took an extra 2 months to fire somebody after the fans all realized he was a dud, but better late than never. Baby steps. Hopefully Maas' head now moves into the guillotine.
Half measures are for cowards and losers. Take no joy in this. They need to gut the head office. But really, they’ve done that two or three times in recent history and the results have stayed the same. The BOG can’t be trusted to hire the right people. That’s the common denominator.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

There’s so much to say about Maas but what bothered me the most was leaving Reilly in the game to continue getting pounded. Reilly had nothing going last night for whatever reason. Even if he wasn’t hurt, his poor play should have gotten him pulled just to get somebody else in for a change of pace. This drove me nuts last year during that long losing streak. As a fan you look for things that show Maas is evolving as a coach, learning. Leaving Reilly in when he isn’t getting anything done shows he isn’t learning anything. That he ended up getting hurt just makes it worse.

Maas again doubled-down on his own stupidity in the post game presser. When asked why he didn't pull Reilly earlier when the game was long since lost, he basically said he never even considered it. Mumbled some nonsense about no lead being safe in the CFL.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Eskimos problem is simple. Head Coach. Guy is a sieve. Should have been kicked out of the city after last seasons debacle. This season some of his play calling and decisions have cost this team at least 3 wins. .500 football team with Reilly as your QB....... lol its a joke.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Sask has basically given the Als 3 free TDs today. What a humiliating performance, even if they still manage to win. Collaros is worse than Nichols.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton

Yup - that did it for me. Final straw. I'm no longer in Jason's corner. It may have cost us more than just this game or even season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Maas again doubled-down on his own stupidity in the post game presser. When asked why he didn't pull Reilly earlier when the game was long since lost, he basically said he never even considered it. Mumbled some nonsense about no lead being safe in the CFL.
It’s one thing to say you believe in your players and feel no game is ever lost. Sounds pretty honourable. It’s another thing to be smart enough to know what you’re doing isn’t working. Maas has never shown himself to be smart enough for that.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Damn Chris Jones to hell for not kicking a field goal in the last minute there. Shit cherry on top of a disastrous week all around.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
It’s one thing to say you believe in your players and feel no game is ever lost. Sounds pretty honourable. It’s another thing to be smart enough to know what you’re doing isn’t working. Maas has never shown himself to be smart enough for that.

Agreed.
Also reminds me of another coach of a professional team in this city...!

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I actually think Reilly is headed out of the league next year. If not, I you're probably right - he's at least going out of town. Perhaps we're way off, but why would he stay to shorten his career with the aggression he faced with?
My dieheard Eskimos friend (who's got connections) said there are whispers that Reilly is going to BC because it's closer to his Seattle home. Henry Burris apparently said something about this on TSN as well but I don't know the context.

Also Hervey is already there and the organization isn't being run by idiots.

That will be a sad day if it happens but completely understandable.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My dieheard Eskimos friend who has connections said there are whispers that Reilly is going to BC because it's closer to his Seattle home. Also Hervey is already there and the organization isn't being run by idiots.

That will be a sad day if it happens but completely understandable if he does leave.

A sad day indeed.

Re the bolded....I posted the other day that if I was Mike Reilly I wouldnt sign in Edmonton for that exact reason. I will honestly be shocked if Reilly does sign with the Esks.
This team is going to be an absolute circus if Reilly leaves and it will fall squarely on the shoulders of Mr 'Winning isnt enough' Rhodes. The really sad part...there will be no accountability because the people above Rhodes are the true idiots.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
It really is ridiculous how both of our much loved, much decorated franchises are run by such ineptness now.

I too had heard rumblings of a BC angle. I was absolutely floored.

I do not indulge in any rumours, nor do I care to, but since it has been mentioned, I thought I'd throw in too.

A very sad day indeed if that rumour comes true.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Half measures are for cowards and losers. Take no joy in this. They need to gut the head office. But really, they’ve done that two or three times in recent history and the results have stayed the same. The BOG can’t be trusted to hire the right people. That’s the common denominator.
Bang on.

The people at the very top need to hire the right people--that hasn't happened for 15 years. You can renovate but if you put up the same dull wallpaper then...……….

Reactions: I am the Liquor

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Bang on.

The people at the very top need to hire the right people--that hasn't happened for 15 years. You can renovate but if you put up the same dull wallpaper then...……….

How exactly are they held accountable though? Whats the process?
Its a mystery as far as I can see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad