Edmonton Elks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Bald eagles are out west of the city for sure. Spotted some at our place at Trestle Creek, near Entwistle/Evansburg.
I seen regular Eagles quite a bit east of the city. Golden Eagles maybe they are? As well usually see Bald Eagles every so often driving through Elk Island park and then East of there

I remember years ago we saw a dead deer in a field just west of Elk Island. Went to walk up to it to see what was up. Did not realize there was a bald Eagle behind it. When it spread its wings and looked at me, I damn near shatted myself.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Really hoping they chose Elk, which I hear is the front runner. Great marketing and branding opportunities that just aren't available with the old name. The Eskimos name is a marketing and promotional black hole. A complete dud.

I get the old guard probably hate the change, but then they likely hate most change. However, in 10-15 years, most people won't even remember them being know as the Eskimos. The next generation will simply know them as the Edmonton Elk.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the new merch this season. Should be exciting.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Really hoping they chose Elk, which I hear is the front runner. Great marketing and branding opportunities that just aren't available with the old name. The Eskimos name is a marketing and promotional black hole. A complete dud.

I get the old guard probably hate the change, but then they likely hate most change. However, in 10-15 years, most people won't even remember them being know as the Eskimos. The next generation will simply know them as the Edmonton Elk.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the new merch this season. Should be exciting.

What next generation. Go on any park n ride bus. Quickest thing you notice is how old the range of ages on the busses are. Most of the young people in the stands, that you see are in games against Riders, which seem to have captured younger fans. It hasn't happened here a lot. Which is one reason why attendance here has declined so radically. I mean I've been around the Esks since before they moved to Commonwealth and they were regularly getting close to 50K attendance there early on and 40K was just another day. Now they have trouble getting to 30K. The joke is that the CFL wouldn't even have to distance the crowd.. The worse joke is the spread of tarps covering up all that empty seating at Commonwealth.

The bolded is curious.

First thing I spot in any outdoors stores and selling like hotcakes..

0010039_quickfish-2i_600_600x.jpg

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

The Eskimos have been one of the most succesful teams in CFL history in terms of attracting sponsors and in terms of building financial stability so how has the term "Eskimos" been a black hole?

A whole list of generic nick names in the CFL has failed to produce any real sponsorship or fan interest. When I go to Ontario (which is fairly often) I never see anyone with an Argo sweater or cap. Ditto for the Lions when I go to B.C.

As for accepting change, not all change represents a victory.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
What next generation. Go on any park n ride bus. Quickest thing you notice is how old the range of ages on the busses are. Most of the young people in the stands, that you see are in games against Riders, which seem to have captured younger fans. It hasn't happened here a lot. Which is one reason why attendance here has declined so radically. I mean I've been around the Esks since before they moved to Commonwealth and they were regularly getting close to 50K attendance there early on and 40K was just another day. Now they have trouble getting to 30K. The joke is that the CFL wouldn't even have to distance the crowd.. The worse joke is the spread of tarps covering up all that empty seating at Commonwealth.

The bolded is curious.

First thing I spot in any outdoors stores and selling like hotcakes..

0010039_quickfish-2i_600_600x.jpg

Interesting point. I wonder how many of the younger Eskimo fans are pleased with the name change?

Reactions: oilers'72

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I believe there is opportunity for the team to market under a new name. How do you market "Eskimo" in todays world? What do it mean? What does it look like?
Maybe with a new name and marketing, younger fans might embrace the team and its new name more. Eskimos is viewed by younger gen with some toxicity.

The days of 50,000 fan turnout is over. For almost all sports. Even major premier league teams in the UK have trouble selling that many tickets now.
When the Esks were the only game in town 40 years ago, sure, you could sell 50K tickets. But that was 40 years ago. There is too much diversity and options now for people. That's why you see most new stadiums being built smaller. Unfortunately, Commonwealth is a poorly designed stadium and is too big for todays needs. But that is a whole other discussion.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Interesting point. I wonder how many of the younger Eskimo fans are pleased with the name change?
I can only speak about the younger generation from my kids and their friends perspectives (16-21 year olds). They are excited. The Eskimos name was cringeworthy at best. They are excited for a change and to see what the future holds.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Have no idea what you're getting at with the bolded. The Eskimos was a great name for marketing, etc. But hang on to your Elk aspirations.:D

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I believe there is opportunity for the team to market under a new name. How do you market "Eskimo" in todays world? What do it mean? What does it look like?
Maybe with a new name and marketing, younger fans might embrace the team and its new name more. Eskimos is viewed by younger gen with some toxicity.

The days of 50,000 fan turnout is over. For almost all sports. Even major premier league teams in the UK have trouble selling that many tickets now.
When the Esks were the only game in town 40 years ago, sure, you could sell 50K tickets. But that was 40 years ago. There is too much diversity and options now for people. That's why you see most new stadiums being built smaller. Unfortunately, Commonwealth is a poorly designed stadium and is too big for todays needs. But that is a whole other discussion.

You missed my edit. This company sells tons of outdoor gear everywhere, including here, big seller right here in Edmonton, in Alberta.

Eskimo Ice Fishing Gear (geteskimo.com)

Down south, where PC vibes aren't quite as strong in all places this is a growing chain.

Eskimo Hut - Frozen Daiquiris To-Go

The bolded is unfounded with any survey and the vast majority of Eskimos fans wanted name retension. That you referred to toxicity, seems maybe its more your view.

Kind of silly too that younger generation are increasingly not involved in the outdoors and yet the names we're evoking are Eagles and Elks and Elkhounds. That doesn't seem to be market specific catering either.

Call it the Edmonton Online jk

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Careful with generalizations. .

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Short question. Have you ever spotted an Eagle in Edmonton? I honestly haven't. I know they exist, but not common here. Bald Eagle is especially rare in Edmonton.

Empire was a crappy name. At least that was avoided.

I thought the list of 7 names was so ridiculous almost on purpose to make the couple of options seem better in comparison.

Respect fanbase? Have you seen the half time entertainment anytime over the last 10yrs? They don't even know who their fanbase is. They don't cater to it, that stopped a long time ago,

Years ago they had one dumb halftime musical act, can't remember the name, they figured it was a draw and were selling tickets for a postgame concert for 10bucks. Trouble is nobody bought any. By end of game and people leaving they were trying to give tickets away to the postgame performance so that there would be somebody around for the band to play to. Saddest thing I saw. We stayed around just out of curiosity to see what kind of crowd they managed to get. Wouldn't have been 50 people. I think 10 of them were homeless people they found around the stadium.

The optics of the name change occurring under the wing of an airlifted in CEO from Oklahoma is pretty disgusting. Enough that I still presume I'll stay away for awhile even if another season even occurs. I think the league might stitch a season together but will need major bankrolling from TV contract just to stay somewhat afloat. Bad news for the league is the Eskimos can't play league financial savior anymore.

Lastly Football is decreasingly a big sell in this market. Multiculturally newer Canadians seem to naturally take to Hockey, but this is not the case with football, and especially with the CFL. Its a dead duck league. Only question is when.
I'm a fairly new fan of football in general. I've attended a couple of home games and thoroughly enjoyed the new experience. So my expectations may differ than yours. I did purchase season tickets yet to be used.
NO, I haven't seen an eagle in the city. I do know some local photographers that I follow on twitter that have posted pictures although they were taken just outside the city. I doubt Philly has many eagles around either. Just comes down to preference.

That CEO has pissed me off from the start so I am in agreement with you there. Not sure what the league can do to turn things around. There are so many issues in that it's hard to know where to start. Tiring , frustrating and sad to hear about their attendance issues and money troubles. So fun to watch. Such a shame.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I can only speak about the younger generation from my kids and their friends perspectives (16-21 year olds). They are excited. The Eskimos name was cringeworthy at best. They are excited for a change and to see what the future holds.

Cringeworthy at best?

I think a lot of younger people would disagree with you on that.

In my discussion with young people many of them have told me that they are tired of woke politics but are afraid to speak up because of the pressure that is coming on campuses and other social circles from older people and not necessarily the younger generation.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Oh here we go. I was waiting for this opinion to show up here.

Said nobody ever at an Eskimos game that I attended.

Cringeworthy is the suggestion that a proud name affiliated with Edmonton throughout its history in sporting clubs is not good enough, somehow. Because some uber young people with no deference to history and with a barely formulated opinion should decide everything. Ironic considering half of them believe the world could be ending in 12. cough, 10yrs..

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Have no idea what you're getting at with the bolded. The Eskimos was a great name for marketing, etc. But hang on to your Elk aspirations.:D
How do you market "Eskimos"? Other than the history of the name and tradition, that's it.
What marketing can you do? What cool (no pun intended) logo and graphics can you promote? You can still appeal to fans with the history of the team and past championships as that's all still there, but now have a new angle to approach things from.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Cringeworthy at best?

I think a lot of younger people would disagree with you on that.

In my discussion with young people many of them have told me that they are tired of woke politics but are afraid to speak up because of the pressure that is coming on campuses and other social circles from older people and not necessarily the younger generation.
There is that segment of the population too. I don't dismiss that. But the reality is, they are the ever increasing minority.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
There is that segment of the population too. I don't dismiss that. But the reality is, they are the ever increasing minority.

Well I respectfully disagree. My daughter and her friends lament the loss of freedom of speech that comes not from young people but from profs and social influencers on campus and senior personnel in the workplace.

Its strange but in all of those years attending Eskimo games I met many people of color and not one ever had a bad word to say about the nickname.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
"Eskimos is viewed by younger gen with some toxicity."

You just finished stating this in an earlier post. Now, you're saying you can only speak about your own kids and their friends.

My own kids and their friends think it was dumb to change a great name.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
"Eskimos is viewed by younger gen with some toxicity."

You just finished stating this in an earlier post. Now, you're saying you can only speak about your own kids and their friends.

My own kids and their friends think it was dumb to change a great name.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How do you market "Eskimos"? Other than the history of the name and tradition, that's it.
What marketing can you do? What cool (no pun intended) logo and graphics can you promote? You can still appeal to fans with the history of the team and past championships as that's all still there, but now have a new angle to approach things from.
I don't know probably the same way Cleveland markets the Indians or Chicago markets the Blackhawks.

I agree they can do some neat things with Elk and Eagle that I'd wear, but at the same time like most sports franchises be successful and make the gameday experience better. That's what will making your marketing easier. You want to be real successful the key is to have people coming to you, not you trying to do everything you can to get them to come on board.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm a fairly new fan of football in general. I've attended a couple of home games and thoroughly enjoyed the new experience. So my expectations may differ than yours. I did purchase season tickets yet to be used.
NO, I haven't seen an eagle in the city. I do know some local photographers that I follow on twitter that have posted pictures although they were taken just outside the city. I doubt Philly has many eagles around either. Just comes down to preference.

That CEO has pissed me off from the start so I am in agreement with you there. Not sure what the league can do to turn things around. There are so many issues in that it's hard to know where to start. Tiring , frustrating and sad to hear about their attendance issues and money troubles. So fun to watch. Such a shame.

I dislike American Iconography. Probably a product of everything in Canada being so uber US related, marketed etc. So that Eagles is really offputting to me. Just don't see the Eagle as part of Canadiana. We're about the Beaver over here;)

Just a sidebar, but part of the original dislike of the "Oilers" name is Houston already having that name. I mean it ended up working, so you have that as argument but it has been somewhat hard to market. I like the uniforms with the rigworker patch, but other than that and the derrick the club hasn't done much with it.

Thanks as always for the exchange.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Most people don't go to events because of the name, come on, man. They go because of the product and pricing. There isn't going to be some explosion of new fans because they dumped the Eskimos brand.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I don't know probably the same way Cleveland markets the Indians or Chicago markets the Blackhawks.

I agree they can do some neat things with Elk and Eagle that I'd wear, but at the same time like most sports franchises be successful and make the gameday experience better. That's what will making your marketing easier. You want to be real successful the key is to have people coming to you, not you trying to do everything you can to get them to come on board.
Well, Cleveland is dropping the Indians name so....

I agree that for sports franchises to be successful, they need the on field and off field product to be good. The EE Football team has a lot of ground to make up in this regard. Hopefully a new name can help attract a new generation of fans.

And to your point, how do you have people coming to you when the name of your franchise is a contentious as it was. Which is what was happening as sponsors were leaving your brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad