Elks: Edmonton Elks Part 2

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
My initial reaction was "gross"...

But then I realized it's not as gross as the PC tsunami that's trying to wipe out everything about the Eskimos' past. I guess CMac's 13-year tenure might as well be forgotten. Shame.

Jesus Christ, this isn’t a Bill Cosby/Harvey Weinstein situation. No one is erasing anything.

Reactions: Del Preston

Cagey B

Jul 21, 2021
Something's not quite right with Sunderland and the Elks right now. Players and alumni leaving for other organizations.

What is with Edmonton sports fans constantly pooping on every GM/ Coach? its embarrassing. ( not attacking you - just a generalization i see on every forum )

CM is up in age. Commanded a higher salary than we and every other team was willing to pay. We have younger players( that are pretty decent in their own right) that need to play. We passed on resigning him. Every other team did as well. He retired.

Calgary lost their FB ( Charlie Power ) to injury. Not many FBs out there to get with experience. They make a call to CM and he's going to give a shot. Yes Its weird seeing him as a Stamps player but nature of the business.

No way is this a knock on Sunderland. I love CM he's great in the community and ok on the field. We will see if these younger players can Block like CM did.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What is with Edmonton sports fans constantly pooping on every GM/ Coach? its embarrassing. ( not attacking you - just a generalization i see on every forum )

CM is up in age. Commanded a higher salary than we and every other team was willing to pay. We have younger players( that are pretty decent in their own right) that need to play. We passed on resigning him. Every other team did as well. He retired.

Calgary lost their FB ( Charlie Power ) to injury. Not many FBs out there to get with experience. They make a call to CM and he's going to give a shot. Yes Its weird seeing him as a Stamps player but nature of the business.

No way is this a knock on Sunderland. I love CM he's great in the community and ok on the field. We will see if these younger players can Block like CM did.
I'm not sure CM was even a regular blocking back the last few years. More of a special teams guy and someone to spot play to give the regulars a breather now and then, and a safety pin in case of injuries.
If he gets to continue to live out some more of his love for playing football with whomever, then I wish him good luck. He's been a good soldier for us for a long time.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
I'll ask here for lack of a better spot, but is anyone planning on attending the Rugby 7s in Edmonton in September at Commonwealth? Tickets seem pricey but I guess that for a 2-day pack. Just wish they had more information on who would be playing, how many matches per day, etc. $300+ dollars is going to be a hard sell to the Mrs if we only get to see two 14 minute games for example.

Cagey B

Jul 21, 2021
I'm not sure CM was even a regular blocking back the last few years. More of a special teams guy and someone to spot play to give the regulars a breather now and then, and a safety pin in case of injuries.
If he gets to continue to live out some more of his love for playing football with whomever, then I wish him good luck. He's been a good soldier for us for a long time.
He was still decent in the later years perhaps not as consistent as he was years ago but still one of the better FB. The only thing I didnt like with him is his lack of ability of running the ball when needed.... oh well he's a stamp player now.. so eff him :D

Reactions: Stoneman89

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Diggs released too? Who's going to play LB? And, why are so many players "not a culture fit?"

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Unless the details show otherwise, Sunderland and Elizondo are looking more and more foolish by the minute.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'll ask here for lack of a better spot, but is anyone planning on attending the Rugby 7s in Edmonton in September at Commonwealth? Tickets seem pricey but I guess that for a 2-day pack. Just wish they had more information on who would be playing, how many matches per day, etc. $300+ dollars is going to be a hard sell to the Mrs if we only get to see two 14 minute games for example.

I would attend, but sure not at those pricepoints. Would look to buy tickets direct from Rugby associations instead. probably will be there. For international soccer tournaments local soccer associations often got discounted tickets, which they would sell if they had excess.

Cagey B

Jul 21, 2021
WTF..... Diggs is a huge Shocker.

Lemon I kind of seen it coming when there was a fluff piece at how Betts was out performing Lemon. Guess our bookends will be all National

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
BS is full of BS. At least that’s what it seems like.

You'll remember I had an immediate dislike for this guy and the directions he was taking the team. Essentially a rebuild that never occurred. Seems to be very unlikeable, coach as well. We will see what occurs but team is looking like not much at present.

That said I can fully expect that there will continue to be some contrived results and that the league will give Edmonton a lot of benefit of doubt calls to try to help them along. The CFL will know that its essential that the EE be a winning club this season. I mean I book it, but not on actual earned results. I think we're about to see some pro Edmonton officiating for once because the league has to. I find CFL officiating very contrived. Its a sport where you only have to call a couple bogus PI calls here and there to make a difference.

I can't see any scenario where the CFL isn't seriously looking at helping EE win some games this season after the name change. Its indelibly clear the CFL doesn't survive without one of its top mainstays surviving, and things don't look so great with ticket sales here.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
You'll remember I had an immediate dislike for this guy and the directions he was taking the team. Essentially a rebuild that never occurred. Seems to be very unlikeable, coach as well. We will see what occurs but team is looking like not much at present.

That said I can fully expect that there will continue to be some contrived results and that the league will give Edmonton a lot of benefit of doubt calls to try to help them along. The CFL will know that its essential that the EE be a winning club this season. I mean I book it, but not on actual earned results. I think we're about to see some pro Edmonton officiating for once because the league has to. I find CFL officiating very contrived. Its a sport where you only have to call a couple bogus PI calls here and there to make a difference.

I can't see any scenario where the CFL isn't seriously looking at helping EE win some games this season after the name change. Its indelibly clear the CFL doesn't survive without one of its top mainstays surviving, and things don't look so great with ticket sales here.
I think the ticket sales has more to do with the CFL just not being a good seller anymore.

Seems like Elizondo is driving most of these cuts, and BS is playing along. Elizondo seems like he's hard to work with from a player's perspective. Not good omens.

Cagey B

Jul 21, 2021
I think the ticket sales has more to do with the CFL just not being a good seller anymore.

Seems like Elizondo is driving most of these cuts, and BS is playing along. Elizondo seems like he's hard to work with from a player's perspective. Not good omens.

I sure hope Elizondo is driving the cuts.. he is the Head Coach. His history as a coach doesn't lead me to believe he's hard to work with.

My understanding is they are trying to build a culture and if you aren't forming to it - you'll be cut. Makes sense to me.

Diggs was a little of a hothead as a rookie ( still liked him though) lemon - well we know his history.

Esks where one of, if not the most penalized team in the CFL.. .maybe this culture change is an attempt to curb that issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Lemon and Diggs now gone? lol who is left? Why are these players being released?

Hopefully because we have better players than them. :). Not going to get too excited till the games are actually played. The CFL is a constant player carousel, with better American players a dime a dozen. Diggs was fine, but it isn’t like he was a long time all star or anything.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I sure how Elizondo is driving the cuts.. he his the Head Coach. His history as a coach doesn't lead me to believe he's hard to work with.

My understanding is they are trying to build a culture and if you aren't forming to it - you'll be cut. Makes sense to me.

Diggs was a little of a hothead as a rookie ( still liked him though) lemon - well we know his history.

Esks where one of, if not the most penalized team in the CFL.. .maybe this culture change is an attempt to curb that issue.
On most teams the GM still has the final say, unless the coach is Bill Belichick or someone like that.

My issue is that if you're having to cut this many players because they don't "fit the culture," maybe there's something wrong with the culture you're trying to build.

Cagey B

Jul 21, 2021
On most teams the GM still has the final say, unless the coach is Bill Belichick or someone like that.

My issue is that if you're having to cut this many players because they don't "fit the culture," maybe there's something wrong with the culture you're trying to build.

"cut too many players" its been what 3 because of the culture? I disagree the GM should have the final say. If his HC doesn't want player x why should he intervene and now cause an issue better coach and GM?

I'm glad they are installing a culture - where you happy with the constant penalties ? I sure wasnt

Cagey B

Jul 21, 2021
I do apolgize. I am new here and it seems the majority of people blame coach and GM before looking at players - be it NHL or CFL - I'm still learning :D

(tongue in cheek comment ) :)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
"cut too many players" its been what 3 because of the culture? I disagree the GM should have the final say. If his HC doesn't want player x why should he intervene and now cause an issue better coach and GM?

I'm glad they are installing a culture - where you happy with the constant penalties ? I sure wasnt
We don't know what it is exactly they mean though. You assume it's the penalty issue but it could be (and likely is) something else entirely. I mean, is a veteran WR like Kenny Stafford (who was cut because he didn't "fit the culture") really the guy who strikes you as being undisciplined with taking penalties, and that being the reason why he didn't fit the culture? How many penalties would a WR take anyway? Maybe the odd offside call?

And yeah, cutting 3 players all because they didn't fit the culture is a red flag. Either your initial player scouting/interviewing has a major flaw in it having signed those players in the first place, or you're being too strict/close-minded with what you're trying to build, or it's an excuse to release the player for other reasons (e.g. he's not getting along with the coach).

I don't buy it. Elks management have not produced the track record nor do they have the reputation beforehand worthy of being given the benefit of the doubt.

Cagey B

Jul 21, 2021
All this is being said with my interpretation that the "culture fit" is attitude related... If its actually because of something else then I have no issues give BS the gears...

it seems he's due 13k for first time active roster bonus ( Diggs) if he plays one snap week 1. That, unfortunately, is the nature of the business but still crappy none the less.

I think we can agree Brock and Jamie need to come very clear to the fans what this "cultural fit" is because right now the optics are not good.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
All this is being said with my interpretation that the "culture fit" is attitude related... If its actually because of something else then I have no issues give BS the gears...

it seems he's due 13k for first time active roster bonus ( Diggs) if he plays one snap week 1. That, unfortunately, is the nature of the business but still crappy none the less.

I think we can agree Brock and Jamie need to come very clear to the fans what this "cultural fit" is because right now the optics are not good.
It's more or less just BS from BS. ;)

I very much doubt either one of them will come clear to the fans about this.

My own speculation is that the players who were cut didn't get along/work well with Elizondo. Hence my opinion that maybe he's not the easiest coach to work with.

(I will say that if Diggs was cut because of his impending bonus and the Elks decided to significantly worsen their team because of it, that's such a loser move).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad