LeBrun: Edmonton and New Jersey are the leading suitors for Jack Campbell

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
And he obviously couldn't handle it. Both places aren't exactly known for glorious weather appealing to young-ish people. Not a knock, I like dark and cold. And Jersey? Come on. Ah?
Having a house where a huge amount of America's rich live is bad? Being able to have a house with a backyard and still being a short drive to New york is bad?

Its better then Toronto in every single way with waay less pressure.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The only saving grace for some teams involved in this potential "bidding war" for...Jack Campbell, is that they probably don't have the cap room to "win" his services (if and when it gets goofy). :laugh:

But for some of these teams, i don't know what else you do. Just a really bad year to be looking for even "decent" reliable goaltending.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
And he obviously couldn't handle it. Both places aren't exactly known for glorious weather appealing to young-ish people. Not a knock, I like dark and cold. And Jersey? Come on. Ah?

Doesn't Edmonton actually have one of the youngest average ages of any major City in Canada? And probably most of North America, outside the big "College Towns"?

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Why does it seem like all these Maple Leafs players are "mentally weak", leave the team, and then find big game success almost immediately with their new org.

There must be something in the water in Southern Ontario.

Hyman was never mentally weak. One of the tougher, hard-working players Toronto had. The team couldn't afford him or he would have been back for sure.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Why does it seem like all these Maple Leafs players are "mentally weak", leave the team, and then find big game success almost immediately with their new org.

There must be something in the water in Southern Ontario.
Toronto fans never really wanted to lose Hyman, they had concerns over giving him 8 years for the style he plays which usually wears a guy down. They didn't have the cap space to offer a shorter but higher AAV contract.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
That’s insulting to Edmonton.

I don't see why it would be. They're essentially a 2 man team with McDavid Drai.

If it helps - It's McDavid, Drai, and the Edmonton Maple Leafs

But we get further in handshakes we had 3 last year Leafs 1 but theirs was reported to be much more impressive

Yeah barely losing to a SCF team in Game 7 vs getting swept by a SCF team and getting a free ride to round 3 does that to you

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
I don't see why it would be. They're essentially a 2 man team with McDavid Drai.

Yeah barely losing to a SCF team in Game 7 vs getting swept by a SCF team and getting a free ride to round 3 does that to you
You mean losing game 7 to a stanley cup loser and being swept by a stanley cup winner. Toronto would have found a way to choke no matter who they played. 3-1 lead choke job last year and 3-2 choke job this year. Always next year champ.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

At least they actually have the best player, including last season.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Dreger said Oilers willing to go (at least) 5M X 5 for Campbell

Did someone not tell them that Campbell was the worst goalie in the NHL since December.. or is that what they're looking for? Koskinen is leaving, they need another whipping boy

statistically, he definitely is

but yes, the emotional intangibles

Not really statistically, unless you don't include games played. He always seems to be injured physically or mentally.

What goalie has been a #1 without ever having played 50 games?

Career wise, his stats are similar to Casey DeSmith, same age too. Casey DeSmith just signed for 1.8M X 2 - so how Campbell is worth 5M X 5.. makes no sense.

Last edited:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Playoffs series record since lockout:

Edmonton 6-5
Toronto 0-7

Practically the same team.

I mean Campbell is 0-5 in series clinching games himself in the last 2 seasons. Hard to make fun of the Leafs for losing series while trying to sign the goalie that choked the series for that team.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Any GM giving him $6+ and term should be fired on the spot. So the Devs probably will and the fanbase will somehow jump for joy about it....then bitch for years until he is bought out/traded.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If your team needs a goalie that gets all teary-eyed issuing a public apology for a loss after his D breaks down and loses the game for him, Jack is your guy.

Seriously though, he's a nice guy. Way too nice to be a NHL goalie. And the last thing a team like the Leafs need is a goalie who takes the blame when they hang him out to dry. A better option would be a modern Hextall who would rip his teammates a new one if they did that to him.

On the other hand, Jack may have figured out what every other starter finds out playing in Toronto (see above re: hanging him out to dry) and he's intentionally priced himself out of Dubas' range just so he can move on. (In fairness, I said here a few months into the season Campbell was going to walk as a UFA just to get out of that locker room).

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Supposedly; lets see if they can get any of them.

I wouldn't trust the goaltending judgement of a team that lets go Freddie Anderson for nothing to get Mrazek; when two smarter teams in Colorado and Carolina both went after Anderson.

You should ask Carolina how they feel about the decision in singing Andersen. Take a look at Freddy's playoff stats while youre at it, and his injury history.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
What is it with the Campbell fascination?

Seems like a great person but he's not a #1 worthy of 6M.

I know there's not alot of options but if this is EDM's target rather than a plan B or C... Boy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad