Confirmed with Link: [EDM/VAN] Dust Off Those #89 Jerseys. Sam Gagner in exchange for Ryan Spooner

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I feel bad for this franchise, make 2nd round of playoffs, things are finally turning around for the Oilers with McDavid and co. fastforward a year and a half and even with McDavid. I dont think things have ever been worse. Really hope this club turns things around quickly and get McDavid into some meaningful games.
Screw Chia for setting this franchise back even further. their fans no not deserve this.

Eberle traded down to Gagner.... Wow and Ouch

Sure you do...don't you have a parade to plan?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I like it just because Spooner wasn't working out. Might as well try something different, and yes although Gags has history here, is there anyone left from when he was even on the team?

I haven't followed him in past years btw, so is he more of a center than Spooner? If so he might have a role here that Spooner couldn't quite fill.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Poor Keith Gretzky. He has so little to work with, but he's trying at least.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I like it just because Spooner wasn't working out. Might as well try something different, and yes although Gags has history here, is there anyone left from when he was even on the team?

I haven't followed him in past years btw, so is he more of a center than Spooner? If so he might have a role here that Spooner couldn't quite fill.

Nuge and Klefa are the only 2 left I believe

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Okay...so now that I have vented about the stupidity of this team and how it consistently downgrades its talent I will say this.
Gagner at least has a chance to be a useful player for this team something that Spooner seemingly had no chance at doing. He is a solid pro and he has actually been somewhat consistent in the NHL at being a .4 ppg player the last couple of years.
In the right situation...PP time included....he could actually help this team this season.

The only problem being that with their place in the standings and the number of teams they need to jump over this season is likely over.

Reactions: WIOiler

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Couldnt even try Spooner once in a top 6 role before cutting bait? It's one thing to make bad trades, its another to not even give your bad trade a chance to turn out okay.

Anyways, Gagner is back. Damn that's funny. He's been worse since he left E-Town I beleive. But atleast now he knows his spot and doesn't have the Edmonton Young Gun entitlement. We can now safely play him down the lineup without worrying about pissing off the "future"

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Couldnt even try Spooner once in a top 6 role before cutting bait? It's one thing to make bad trades, its another to not even give your bad trade a chance to turn out okay.

Anyways, Gagner is back. Damn that's funny. He's been worse since he left E-Town I beleive. But atleast now he knows his spot and doesn't have the Edmonton Young Gun entitlement. We can now safely play him down the lineup without worrying about pissing off the "future"

Other than the Brutal stint in Philly, where he was buried, Gagner has been .500ppg since leaving Edmonton. This would typically put him 4th in production on this whole team any given year.

Gagner has actually put up a few decent seasons since being here.. Was 2nd in pts on a Yotes team behind only Doan one season, Had the 50pts season in Columbus, and is only 29. Not like he's washed up. If we actually play him and give him some minutes he'll produce. The team is severely lacking in talent and Sam has always had that.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I'll take Gagner over Spooner all day. Anything more than Gagner for Spooner would be just magic. Good trade for us.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
I feel bad for this franchise, make 2nd round of playoffs, things are finally turning around for the Oilers with McDavid and co. fastforward a year and a half and even with McDavid. I dont think things have ever been worse. Really hope this club turns things around quickly and get McDavid into some meaningful games.
Screw Chia for setting this franchise back even further. their fans no not deserve this.

Eberle traded down to Gagner.... Wow and Ouch

Were playoff games even broadcast in HD last time leafs won a playoff series? Hahaha

Last time they won a cup it was in black and white.

Worry about your own team lol

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
This is about the best outcome that could be expected, given the circumstances. I always liked Gagner. Hopefully, his second stint in Edmonton is successful.

coastalview

Sep 11, 2018
i think the oiler fans over rate gagner
he is no better then spooner
unless you can shelter him like crazy and use him in a specialty role on the pp
he lacks speed, overall desire, and man, he is quite useless about any defensive obligations

i get it spooner is not a meaningful asset either
but he does have a lot more speed which gives him a better chance to play in the nhl again
and he can play on the nucks ahl team
whereas gagner was kept away from our young developing talent group down there

it is a little unnerving to see too much hype being given to gagner
you realize he played in the ahl for a non canuck organization all season
and no longer had any value for this organization
jim benning is a good talent assessor
and has been trying to get spooner for some time now
oilers finally agreed to the trade price - gagner
spooner might be an injury fill in for the canucks or spend the season in utica of the ahl
it is likely both are not much more then ahl players at this point in their careers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad