Confirmed with Link: [EDM/VAN] Dust Off Those #89 Jerseys. Sam Gagner in exchange for Ryan Spooner

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I like both sides of the argument you folks are currently having. Both sides have merit.

I don't think Sam Gagner moves the needle much, and I'm very tired of older, past peak performance players coming here because that's tge best we can do.

However...

Sam is and was a warrior at times for us. He would have fit in the 93-00 Oilers easily.
He has a work ethic and commitment that CAN be used to tutor yiunger players.
If the org truly understands and want's character and proper culture here, then the return of Gagner is a very good start.

But I do caution those salivating over his play last night.
It. Was. One. Game.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It. Was. One. Game

Even when he’s “struggled” with the Canucks, he got 34 point in 81 games the last year and a half. Meanwhile our second highest scoring winger is on pace for less than 25 points. It’s not that he was THAT good last night. It’s that he made people finally realize our wingers are THAT bad. I’ve been saying for a long time that you can’t win with a bunch of 4th line grinders, and Gags seems to be proving how badly we need skill

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I like both sides of the argument you folks are currently having. Both sides have merit.

I don't think Sam Gagner moves the needle much, and I'm very tired of older, past peak performance players coming here because that's tge best we can do.

However...

Sam is and was a warrior at times for us. He would have fit in the 93-00 Oilers easily.
He has a work ethic and commitment that CAN be used to tutor yiunger players.
If the org truly understands and want's character and proper culture here, then the return of Gagner is a very good start.

It. Was. One. Game.
One good game is already better than Spooner.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Even when he’s “struggled” with the Canucks, he got 34 point in 81 games the last year and a half. Meanwhile our second highest scoring winger is on pace for less than 25 points. It’s not that he was THAT good last night. It’s that he made people finally realize our wingers are THAT bad. I’ve been saying for a long time that you can’t win with a bunch of 4th line grinders, and Gags seems to be proving how badly we need skill

Yeah you're right. I'd have to agree.
I loved Gags here. Just leery of everything now.
There is no denying the immediate impact his few seconds on the 2nd unit PP had.

I just hope we are not all slagging on him in a month.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
I think Sam will be fine here for the remainder of his contract. We really don't have anyone outside of 3 guys more competent offensively than him. In a vacuum he's probably not someone you want to say that about in regards to your team. But we got him for Spooner. I would have taken 10 kicks to the face over Spooner.

It's odd how many philosophy shifts have happened over the course of a few years. We need to get bigger. We're trading Strome because we need to get faster. And now Sam is here, who skates about as fast as my grandmother. Perhaps they should stop with the philosophizing. They seem to be about as good at it as Bill and Ted were.

And one more comment about Sam. He brings something our team lacks in spades. Intelligence. We have a lot of big, fast players that are extremely dumb. He WILL make the team better. No, he won't make them good enough. But he'll make the team better. I truly believe that.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Toronto Maple Leafs: A Post-Departure Ode to Sam Gagner

Think about this. A Toronto scribe moved to say such things about a player that was never even a leaf and that was never going to be.

Sam Gagner, playing for the Marlies, on loan, having a positive attitude and much moreso than other former NHL players the Leafs have sent down there.

Consummate veteran, helped the kids there and getting nothing but positive write ups on how he's handled himself through adversity.

One parallel I see is that Gagner played well in Europe during a lockout impasse and came back to a shortened NHL season with one of his best years. Sam has a tendency to utilize anything as a rebound effect and learn different things about hockey and what he can do in different places.

Sure its 1 game but the Gagner we saw looked a lot like the Gagner we had here most years. I hope the Oilers org doesn't screw this up and actually gives him a chance because it'll be wasting his setup talent playing with guys like Colby Cave who are simply grinders and can't score anywhere, certainly not here.

Its too bad so many Oilers decisions are random as I think Gagner would have done well with any of Zykov, Slepychev, Maroon, even Aberg. We have so little talent in forwards now we can't even fill out a line for Gagner to play with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I think Sam will be fine here for the remainder of his contract. We really don't have anyone outside of 3 guys more competent offensively than him. In a vacuum he's probably not someone you want to say that about in regards to your team. But we got him for Spooner. I would have taken 10 kicks to the face over Spooner.

It's odd how many philosophy shifts have happened over the course of a few years. We need to get bigger. We're trading Strome because we need to get faster. And now Sam is here, who skates about as fast as my grandmother. Perhaps they should stop with the philosophizing. They seem to be about as good at it as Bill and Ted were.

And one more comment about Sam. He brings something our team lacks in spades. Intelligence. We have a lot of big, fast players that are extremely dumb. He WILL make the team better. No, he won't make them good enough. But he'll make the team better. I truly believe that.

Just one proviso that Same does play a speed game, not in skating, but in moving the puck. Sam decisions quickly, reads plays well and will move pucks quickly rather than dust them off. In hockey its the puck that has to move quickly and not all of the pieces on the ice have to be fast. Just create fast. We have few players that do that. Now we have one more that can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shathar

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Just one provisio that Same does play a speed game, not in skating, but in moving the puck. Sam decisions quickly, reads plays well and will move pucks quickly rather than dust them off. In hockey its the puck that has to move quickly and not all of the pieces on the ice have to be fast. Just create fast. We have few players that do that. Now we have one more that can.

Can't argue with that. Sam is smart. On this team, that quality sticks out like an (un) sore thumb.

Reactions: Oilhawks and guymez

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Spooner, supposedly, skating with Boeser and Petersson in practice.

Will be interesting to see if he produces in an offensive role...something he was never given much of an opportunity to do here.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sure would be funny if we end up playing the Marlies in the finals. Gagner was a pretty big part of that team.

Overall I love the trade. Guy wants to be here and he brings a good work ethic as well as good leadership.

Guy must be smiling himself to see that at least one guy bought a new Gagner jersey already. There were a few clips I saw of the signing where fans seems real happy to have him back, giving him notes and telling him they are happy he is back.

I have to think because RNH wanted him he's going to get a shot at some good time as well. Looked decent on the PP the other night.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
Sure would be funny if we end up playing the Marlies in the finals. Gagner was a pretty big part of that team.

Overall I love the trade. Guy wants to be here and he brings a good work ethic as well as good leadership.

Guy must be smiling himself to see that at least one guy bought a new Gagner jersey already. There were a few clips I saw of the signing where fans seems real happy to have him back, giving him notes and telling him they are happy he is back.

I have to think because RNH wanted him he's going to get a shot at some good time as well. Looked decent on the PP the other night.
I honestly think the next jersey I buy will be a Gagner one. I know he won't be around in a couple years but he was my favorite player when I first started watching Edmonton after their cup run. Excited he's back!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You need to utilize Gagner the way Columbus did. 4th line RW/PP time.
I'd give him 2nd line with RNH right now. Not like we have a lot of other options. His drive could be what the team wants.

I agree on the PP. He looked good with his 4th line out there the other night. I was actually a little shocked they gave him special teams time with no practice, but at the end of the day you can tell he knows what to do out there.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Spooner, supposedly, skating with Boeser and Petersson in practice.

Will be interesting to see if he produces in an offensive role...something he was never given much of an opportunity to do here.

Ah, following the Caggiula Chicago method I see. Hopefully Spooner crashes and burns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->