Confirmed with Link: [EDM/STL] David Perron for Magnus Paajarvi + 2nd '14 | Part 2

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
At the time of that trade I thought it was such a one-sided steal that I was actually concerned Perron HAD to be damaged goods... due to his previous concussion issues. I figured no other way to explain such a one-sided deal.

Turns out it was just a steal of a deal... by far the best move MacT has been able to make so far.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Leafs fan here in peace...

I know that Perron has been great in Edmonton but STL fans and Hitchcock seem happy with MPS and his projectability and apparently there are some rumblings of Perron wanting to play for a competitor...

Anyone change their opinion on the trade based on the fact that the 2nd round Oilers pick sent to St. Louis is going to be 31-35?

I'll take 21 goals over a 2nd rounder in a weak draft any day.

If perron were to be dealt today he'd fetch a lot.

Still relatively young and just breaking out

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This guy should be a core member of this team moving forward. Fiesty, great hands, ok size, solid defensively.

Maybe not as much potential as Ebs, but a better fit

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Leafs fan here in peace...

I know that Perron has been great in Edmonton but STL fans and Hitchcock seem happy with MPS and his projectability and apparently there are some rumblings of Perron wanting to play for a competitor...

Anyone change their opinion on the trade based on the fact that the 2nd round Oilers pick sent to St. Louis is going to be 31-35?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1567709
Couple posts on the Blues board, from today in fact, about Paajarvi playing well but just being burried by excellent STL depth.

You're right that Perron's got a contract that keeps him in Edmonton, but from next year it'll be a 2 year deal and if the team is still in the gutter and he gets a bit vocal you can bet there will be rumblings of "trade him before he walks on us next year."

Don't get me wrong... I think Perron's great and young/cheap enough that he is a valuable guy to build around. I'm just wondering if the fact that MPS+2nd is worth more now than it was at the time of the trade changes anyone's opinion.

A couple of the higher profile names that might be draftable there: Honka,Pastrnak,Ho-Sang,Larkin,Schmaltz,Goldobin,Scherbak,Tkachev
So which one is it?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Why the hell would we be that concerned about giving up a 31-35th overall pick when it was probably going to be around the 40ish mark at best in the summer? It's not like we traded a conditional pick that has gone from being a 2nd to a 1st.

Perron was our most consistent player up until x-mas time or so, he's been a lot better than expected and at this point I could careless how Prv is doing in STL. He could be on their top line and I wouldn't care as Perron brings an element this team hasn't had in a long long time.

Last edited:

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Why the hell would we be that concerned about giving up a 31-25th overall pick when it was probably going to be around the 40ish mark at best in the summer? It's not like we traded a conditional pick that has gone from being a 2nd to a 1st.

Perron was our most consistent player up until x-mas time or so, he's been a lot better than expected and at this point I could careless how Prv is doing in STL. He could be on their top line and I wouldn't care as Perron brings an element this team hasn't had in a long long time.

Magnus is too nice of a guy to be effective using his size.

His career projects to being Sean Bergenheim at this point.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
At the time of that trade I thought it was such a one-sided steal that I was actually concerned Perron HAD to be damaged goods... due to his previous concussion issues. I figured no other way to explain such a one-sided deal.

Turns out it was just a steal of a deal... by far the best move MacT has been able to make so far.

Concussions issue, he didnt have missed games before and not after he got back to the ice. That's prob why I didn't got it why people were whining about the trade cos of concussion issues, even Crosby had one big and haven't missed much of games after that.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
He has 22 goals already and people are talking about maybe regretting PRV and this year's 2nd?

A 2nd pick who maybe, at some point in 5 years, has a slight chance of making the roster in any way, shape, or form?

I realize this is "hockey's future" boards but seriously.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
If we got a Perron back every time, I would trade every Oilers 2nd rounder and Paajarvi equivalent. What a steal.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hey, St. Louis.

Lol.

Signed,

Everyone in Edmonton.

Exactly.

One almost wonders how STL got so good doing deals like this.

How do you trade a guy that's currently 15th in league in goal scoring for a sad sack of Paajarvi?

They traded a guy that would currently be the leading scorer on 20 teams in the league for a guy that's more likely to be a complete NHL bust.

There will again come a time when STL has trouble scoring that they remember they traded what would be their 2nd leading scorer for negligible return.

Thanks anyway, lets do some more trades..;)

Last edited:

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
^
They needed the cap space to sign Pietrangelo, Stewart, Steen, Shattenkirk, and potentially Jbo.

They are replacing Perron's scoring with guys coming up their pipeline like Jaden Schwartz and Tarasenko.

That's how they can make that trade and still be one of the best teams in the WC.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
Yeah, let's be fair to the Blues, Perron was essentially a cap casualty.

On paper, Paajarvi should be a perfect fit for a Hitchcock system, but he's simply not putting it together. And while everyone predicted that Perron would increase his numbers, I don't think that anyone called him setting a new career high in goals less than 3/4 of the way through the season.

Don't get me wrong, we absolutely won the Perron trade, but at the time, it really looked like a trade that would help both teams.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
^
They needed the cap space to sign Pietrangelo, Stewart, Steen, Shattenkirk, and potentially Jbo.

They are replacing Perron's scoring with guys coming up their pipeline like Jaden Schwartz and Tarasenko.

That's how they can make that trade and still be one of the best teams in the WC.

Understood. But again Perron was a known goal scorer traded by a team that actually exited the playoffs due to difficulty scoring goals.

A team with perennial goal scoring difficulty traded a guy likely to be a pretty good goal scorer.

Its nice that they have an abundance of riches but they traded a lot of potential in giving up Perron and they got nothing for him.

MPS is a lesser version of Gilbert Brule. This is what they got.

Would've made more sense for STL to demand our first pick for 2014. We probably would've done it to get Perron. Especially with the Oil thinking they would compete more this year and have a middle pick.

Doesn't matter how good STL is this was awful horse trading.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad