Confirmed with Link: [EDM/STL] David Perron for Magnus Paajarvi + 2nd '14 | Part 2

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I started the comparison just to see what people thought about this question...

The club/coach last year were working with MPS to make him a hitting, powerful force in front of the net grinder which he almost took offence to at first but then started into the role with mixed success. Now with JJ do people think we have,found that which the team felt we needed out of MPS, perhaps even a better version of it.

I was tired of Perron/MPS comparisons and predictions of MPSs career. My thoughts are between that trade and picking up JJ we have filled that role and scored ourselves a better two way forward.

All the luck to Magnus in St. Louis I will add.

Yeah I pretty much agree. Getting Perron was a steal, plus we end up replacing Paajarvi anyway. Perron and Joensuu have been very good here and Paajarvi struggling again. This guy has had a lot of NA Pro hockey to still be struggling like this and still trying to find his game. My longstanding theory is that Paajarvi given a choice will take the easiest road and hope nobody notices. He's not particularly comfortable with the physical aspect of the NA game and hasn't been since he got his bell rung good in rookie year but he'll play that for awhile if he feels his back is to the wall. He's never really going to amount to much imo.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
anything significantly beyond his average, which is 15-20 points, as i pointed out... pretty obvious no?

care to make a bet regarding your 30 point prediction?

As much as I enjoy a good give and take on this, and sorry to wade in, but even the line on pts doesn't really prove all that much.

I'll take a Joensuu with 20pts over a Paajarvi with 25-30 pts any day of the week if Joensuu keeps up this physical play. Plus that Joensuu will be getting his pts in bottomsix time. Paajarvi had some good toi here as well and playing with skilled guys like Gagner that tended to drive the play.

Put Paajarvi with a guy like Belanger and he's lost in the triangle.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'll disagree with that but I respect your opinion.

I need to see more of Joensuu first, I'm not sure if his extra physicality makes up for MPS' two way play and speed.

I agree.

30 points + a few more hits /= more wins

30 points + less goals against = more wins.

Jesse J hasn't played a NHL regular season game yet for the Oilers. He could easily be Petrell v2.0.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
anything significantly beyond his average, which is 15-20 points, as i pointed out... pretty obvious no?

care to make a bet regarding your 30 point prediction?

No...its not obvious. Its ambiguous.

In 1 sentence you declared anything north of 15-20 points is pure fantasy. Next you state that 30 points is pure fantasy...which is it?

In any event if you are willing to back up what you post and that anything north of 15-20 points...like say 21 points...is a fantasy then yes I will definitely take that bet.

BTW...15-20 points is not statistically beyond his average...you really need to check your math.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I liked Magnus, but the fact that he couldn't score at the AHL level was a giant red flag for me.

Getting a proven, NHL experienced, but still young, skilled top six forward for him on a reasonable contract was a good move by Mac T.

Who knows though, honestly I wouldn't be shocked if MPS is back with the Oilers in a couple of years as a reclamation project.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
No...its not obvious. Its ambiguous.

In 1 sentence you declared anything north of 15-20 points is pure fantasy. Next you state that 30 points is pure fantasy...which is it?

In any event if you are willing to back up what you post and that anything north of 15-20 points...like say 21 points...is a fantasy then yes I will definitely take that bet.

BTW...15-20 points is not statistically beyond his average...you really need to check your math.

you say 30 i say 20, lets split the difference and say 25... actually no, i'll even go a couple better, 23.... if JJ gets 23 or more, i lose, 22 or less i win? fair.... standard one month avatar?

i must admit, i'll be very happy to lose such a bet though, lol

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
you say 30 i say 20, lets split the difference and say 25... actually no, i'll even go a couple better, 23.... if JJ gets 23 or more, i lose, 22 or less i win? fair.... standard one month avatar?

i must admit, i'll be very happy to lose such a bet though, lol

Deal...23 points (injury not withstanding) it is.

I will be happy to see you lose this bet as well and I am viewing this from 2 perspectives. :D

The funny part about this bet is that I am not even sure if I like the player yet...I just think he cant do any worse than 0.28 ppg. :nod:

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

I will be happy to see you lose this bet as well and I am viewing this from 2 perspectives. :D

The funny part about this bet is that I am not even sure if I like the player yet...I just think he cant do any worse than 0.28 ppg. :nod:

yeah there isn't much that would make me happier than if JJ can become a big, physical winger who can put up 30 points.... unfortunately, i just don't think it will happen

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I liked Magnus, but the fact that he couldn't score at the AHL level was a giant red flag for me.

Getting a proven, NHL experienced, but still young, skilled top six forward for him on a reasonable contract was a good move by Mac T.

Who knows though, honestly I wouldn't be shocked if MPS is back with the Oilers in a couple of years as a reclamation project.

That'd be awesome, all he really has to do is get his head around playing physical and he'd be an excellent 4th liner at most. He's got the body for it. Any further development in other areas would probably mean he doesn't end up a reclamation project though.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen

JJ has according to Ny I fans looked great in a couple of games a season and disappeared for the rest. If he can pot 6-7 goals driving the net it will be good for him if looking at his earlier career. Hopes he can start to be consistent in nhl games and rough it up in the goalarea. One issue i noticed is that he going down to much for a big guy, even in contact with smaller guys (balance ?).

That'd be awesome, all he really has to do is get his head around playing physical and he'd be an excellent 4th liner at most. He's got the body for it. Any further development in other areas would probably mean he doesn't end up a reclamation project though.

4th liner at most:facepalm: ! His main problem is his confident and adapting to the na game. He has the speed and size to be a great third liner, 45 p a year two way player, also could be a excellent pk er. Hes still developing his na game and when he find his confident he will be rock solid out there.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
4th liner at most:facepalm: ! His main problem is his confident and adapting to the na game. He has the speed and size to be a great third liner, 45 p a year two way player, also could be a excellent pk er. Hes still developing his na game and when he find his confident he will be rock solid out there.

I'm pretty sure he meant at worst, but phrased it wrong

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I can't believe I once thought MPS would be better than Eberle :facepalm:

Worst hockey-related prediction I've ever made

You're not alone there :laugh:

After that pre-season in 2011 I expected him to have numbers similar to Ebs and then eventually surpass him. My 91 jersey still hangs in the closet :(

Ah well.

Last edited:

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
I blame all the suits who wouldn't get behind my "Lets Go Magnus Paajarvi Svensson Clap Clap" chants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad