Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
A #1C Selke Winner
A first line winger and our top scorer
A young #1D
One of the best goalies in the world at 23 years old.

There isn’t a player in the world worth even three of those pieces. And you added Neal too, Christ.

Reactions: HEX

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If/When Ghost struggles a bit:
Larsson+Barrie
for
Ghostisbehre + Hagg

Oilers swap Barrie at RD to Ghost at LD on PP

Quick Ghost background. And in common sense fashion of course IF KNEES ARE HEALTHY.

They paired Ghost with Braun last year and was mainly 3rd/4th line forwards out there. So think of this chemistry and the "genius" of AV. Ghost is more comfortable playing right side but put on left. We all know Ghost is going to be over aggressive and pinch too much. Comes with the territory. So say Ghost pinches. Your lw moves back to lhd spot to cover. So who is that? JVR. So if the other team gets the puck with Ghost pinching you have the incredible "speedy" JVR and Braun combo. Is it any wonder there was a lot of 2 on 1 and the chemistry stunk?

So they are pairing Ghost with Provorov this year and the rw cover when Ghost pinches will be Farabee, Voracek, etc. They are giving Ghost every opportunity to succeed at least until the trade deadline. If Ghost fails clearly a rhd upgrade is needed. If he succeeds you need a bottom pair guy for sure but much more fixable.

Between Braun pairing and the year before making Ghost overly conservative due to 10 goalie gems of Mckenna, Neuwirth, Lyon, Stolarz, Pickard etc. the Flyers have set Ghost to fail. First time in 2 years they are setting him up to succeed. See how it goes.

Reactions: LTIR

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Philly and Edmonton without these players for 2 weeks essentially = throwing the season away due to quarantine.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
how would this compare to the Lindros trade?
Forsberg was a top legit prospect at the time so really hard to judge. Also note, the Flyers just build a new building, weren't good, and needed an attendance grabber.
With that out of the way.
Provorov way way way way better than S Duchense
Hart way way way way way better than Hextall(this was post groin Hextall)
Couturier easily over Ricci (Ricci did have nice career).
top 5 pick Forsberg adv Lindros side
Konecky over 2 1's and Chris Simon
15 million
This "offer" is more actual value than the Lindros trade but there was more potential value in Lindros trade due to Forsberg Chris Simon and 2 1's (one 1 which turned into Roy eventually).

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Forsberg was a top legit prospect at the time so really hard to judge. Also note, the Flyers just build a new building, weren't good, and needed an attendance grabber.
15 million
This "offer" is more actual value than the Lindros trade but there was more potential value in Lindros trade due to Forsberg Chris Simon and 2 1's (one 1 which turned into Roy eventually).
yeah, thats the trade that popped into my head when reading this. just wondering how someone closer to the situation viewed it

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
yeah, thats the trade that popped into my head when reading this. just wondering how someone closer to the situation viewed it
And I get the original ask from this post. And post covid can someone make a ridiculous offer for MCD to insure attendance post covid? Who knows?
Now if you are asking what is fair. Hart has zero shot of being traded. He is too valuable to the team to have any chance to succeed. But say EDM fan dumps the Neal part and asks MCD for Konecky, Provorov, Couts, and Frost. I at least have to look at rather than lol at. Thinking still a no because D would be an abomination.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
And I get the original ask from this post. And post covid can someone make a ridiculous offer for MCD to insure attendance post covid? Who knows?
Now if you are asking what is fair. Hart has zero shot of being traded. He is too valuable to the team to have any chance to succeed. But say EDM fan dumps the Neal part and asks MCD for Konecky, Provorov, Couts, and Frost. I at least have to look at rather than lol at. Thinking still a no because D would be an abomination.

Ya, in reality McDavid isn't being traded and no way Philly parts with the pieces I mentioned. Totally agree. I didn't try for fair value.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
another problem, that THIS Blues fan knows all too well, is you FINALLY got what SEEMS to be a good goalie for a few years at least. our franchises seem to be cursed at this position. so to trade him... ugh

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I'd do it and replace Provorov Konecny and Hart through gming.

Kuemper from AZ to replace Hart
Schmidt/Dumba (if those teams are out) to replace Provorov. Myers and Sanheim would have to step up to

Konecny replace internally by committee with Lindblom/Farabee/etc.

There's probably some tangible loss in quality in those areas but McDAVID

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Hart is untouchable. Yes, even for McDavid.

Counter...

TO PHI:
- McDavid

TO EDM:
- Couturier
- Konecny
- Sanheim
- Sandstrom
- 1st
- 1st

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016

Counter...

TO PHI:
- McDavid

TO EDM:
- Couturier
- Konecny
- Sanheim
- Sandstrom
- 1st
- 1st
This is just as ridiculous as the first offer. There is no real combination the flyers could legitimately put together that would entice Edmonton to give up McDavid.

If we are trading for him then we are looking to go for multiple cups, so it's going to have to be draft pick heavy and a big wedge of salary. We are going to need the ELC's to balance the cap hit.

Voracek
Konecny
3 x 1st rounder
Take your pick of a goaltender prospect.

Which Edmonton would easily turn down, but it an outrageously good offer for pretty much any player in the league.

LEIFey

Context Matters!
Jun 28, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
The only way McDavid gets traded is if his relationship with the Oilers sours, and in that case, he does not get that kind of return. Otherwise he is an Oiler for life because no one would pay that price. I say this as a diehard Lindros fan, but that trade should be a lesson to us all that these kinds of deals are a bad idea.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
15 million
From the other side, Lindros had a lot of trade value but he was also still just a prospect. The best prospect since Lemieux, but still a prospect. McDavid is the best player in the world and would be valued as such.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
This is what it would take for me to be happy with a McDavid trade. There's been a lot of them on here lately.

:edmonton

Travis Konecy
Sean Couturier
Ivan Provorov
Carter Hart

:flyers

Connor McDavid
James Neal

Oilers get a 1W, a stellar 2C behind Draisaitl, a 1LHD and a 1A Goaltender

Philly gets the best player on the planet and James Neal to keep the money close.

This is an overpayment from the Flyers perspective but that is the only thing that makes sense when talking about moving McDavid.
So Flyers can't put a team on the ice after the trade...They waited for a goalie have one that's young and now trade him along with a number one defenseman....They get a player Edmonton won't trade at his age no team would...Trade makes no sense.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
how would this compare to the Lindros trade?

Took a stab at it. Sanheim, Farabee, JVR, Ghostisbehere, Patrick, Wisdom, 2 1sts and 15M in salary retention. I will say maybe Ghostisbehere comps more towards Duchesne and Braun/Hagg would comp more towards Huffman. That would change the deal greatly because instead of Sanheim, you'd get Hagg or Braun. But a Lindros-type deal would not require the Flyers to give up Couturier, Konecny, Provorov and Hart.
  • Steve Duchesne (maybe Myers or Sanheim)
  • Peter Forsberg (no comparable, maybe Farabee, York, Brink or Foerster)
  • Ron Hextall (no comparable so a vet player, maybe JVR)
  • Kerry Huffman (maybe Shane Ghostibehere)
  • Mike Ricci (maybe Nolan Patrick)
  • Chris Simon (maybe Zayde Wisdom)
  • Philadelphia's 1st round pick in 1993 (equivalent 2021 1st)
  • Philadelphia's 1st round pick in 1994 (equivalent 2022 1st)
  • $15 million

Last edited:

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
I'll also note that back in that era, there was no salary cap, so the Flyers would habitually trade away youth and draft picks to make a "run" at the Cup. They would spend money on FA. It was a different time.

Reactions: Starat327

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This is just as ridiculous as the first offer. There is no real combination the flyers could legitimately put together that would entice Edmonton to give up McDavid.

If we are trading for him then we are looking to go for multiple cups, so it's going to have to be draft pick heavy and a big wedge of salary. We are going to need the ELC's to balance the cap hit.

Voracek
Konecny
3 x 1st rounder
Take your pick of a goaltender prospect.

Which Edmonton would easily turn down, but it an outrageously good offer for pretty much any player in the league.
Oilers world need C depth if McDavid was traded....not 2 RW. I think it would be more like:

Hayes
Patrick or Frost
Farabee: they need LW not RWers and Farabee can play both
Sanheim
Usti or Ersson for the G prospect
1-2 Near NHL guys like Ratcliffe, Rubstov, Kase, etc...

RNH Drai Yam
Farabee Hayes Pulj
Neal Patrick Kassian

Nurse Barrie
Sanheim Bear
Jones Larsson

Man, this exercise showed me just how bad the Oilers depth is. If they trade McDavid, might as well trade everyone and just start over.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Counter...

TO PHI:
- McDavid

TO EDM:
- Couturier
- Konecny
- Sanheim
- Sandstrom
- 1st
- 1st

I don't think there are any untouchables in a McDavid trade, but this wasn't an exercise in a fair or legitimate type deal. This was just what I felt it would take to pry McDavid out of Edmonton.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Edmonton will never trade McDavid, because with him fans will always fill the arena no matter, how bad the team is. Money uber alles, you know.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Man, this exercise showed me just how bad the Oilers depth is. If they trade McDavid, might as well trade everyone and just start over.
If you were to take players 3-20 on any NHL team EDM is easily bottom 3 team and and maybe last. And oh by the way could get worse if RNH and Larsson don't return. Holland trading 2 2's for AA, Marino for a 6th, Strome for Spooner, Hall for Larsson, SChultz for 3, great examples of the genius of EDM management(and Chiarelli before). Look at the trade tracker. EDM has not made a trade in 5 years that made the team better. Look it up. History of NHL trades by the Edmonton Oilers - NHL Trade Tracker

EDM's BEST possible season is MCD and LEON do enough for regular season do get into playoffs and get smoked in playoffs. Easy to say trade LEON and bring in 3-4 pieces. But I don't trust 2021 version of Holland to do that.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Took a stab at it. Sanheim, Farabee, JVR, Ghostisbehere, Patrick, Wisdom, 2 1sts and 15M in salary retention. I will say maybe Ghostisbehere comps more towards Duchesne and Braun/Hagg would comp more towards Huffman. That would change the deal greatly because instead of Sanheim, you'd get Hagg or Braun. But a Lindros-type deal would not require the Flyers to give up Couturier, Konecny, Provorov and Hart.
  • Steve Duchesne (maybe Myers or Sanheim)
  • Peter Forsberg (no comparable, maybe Farabee, York, Brink or Foerster)
  • Ron Hextall (no comparable so a vet player, maybe JVR)
  • Kerry Huffman (maybe Shane Ghostibehere)
  • Mike Ricci (maybe Nolan Patrick)
  • Chris Simon (maybe Zayde Wisdom)
  • Philadelphia's 1st round pick in 1993 (equivalent 2021 1st)
  • Philadelphia's 1st round pick in 1994 (equivalent 2022 1st)
  • $15 million
nice layout! also need to consider, MCD is better than Lindros was, so.. prolly not a apple for apple comparison for the players involved in the trade ...etc..they'd have to be better... also great point about the salary cap. definitely a consideration these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad