Rumor: EDM, OTT, TOR, LA among interested in LHD Vladislav Gavrikov

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Iafallo (when healed) JAD and Walker from this king fan
The Jackets do not need or want additional wingers; we have too many as is and are trying to get value for them, not add more. So JAD has no value to us, and Iafallo - due to his cap hit and term - is actually of negative value here. It'd be like us trying to trade y'all one of our RHDs.
Emphasis on "to us" and "here"; I swear by G-d Almighty if the followup to this is whining about how they'd have tons of value elsewhere I will hunt you down and MAKE YOU PAY

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Better cap on Gavrikov. But yes... unfortunely.

I do also think Broberg could be useful, and trade Holloway instead, but thats just me.

I dont get what Holland is waiting for. Gavrikov is the perfect add. Like perfect.

Nurse Ceci
Gavrikov Barrie
Kulak Bouchard
is perfect.

Gavrikov also has a smaller cap than yamamoto.

Yam + 1st rounder 2023 .
The price is probably too high. It's a sellers market right now. He's probably hoping more options open up. Remember, as long as he fills that hole by the trade deadline we should be okay. Prices might come down after some other team starts making trades and taking them out of the running for guys like Gavrikov. He probably doesn't want to be the first one, in hopes the price goes down

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
The Jackets do not need or want additional wingers; we have too many as is and are trying to get value for them, not add more. So JAD has no value to us, and Iafallo - due to his cap hit and term - is actually of negative value here. It'd be like us trying to trade y'all one of our RHDs.
Emphasis on "to us" and "here"; I swear by G-d Almighty if the followup to this is whining about how they'd have tons of value elsewhere I will hunt you down and MAKE YOU PAY
ok i get y not iafallo but jad played center in jr and his first call up in nhl .He actually is best there imo He actually is on the wing because of the kings center depth I think he would flourish with you guys. The kid needs a chance to play imo Give me a counter offer please

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Okay but Chiarot got a 2023 1st aswell. Gavrikov is similar to Chiarot. Ideally on your second pairing with a more offense focused D.
Chairot had the "playoff warrior who led his team to the finals" thing going that Gavrikov doesn't have. That's pretty significant. It was also a bad trade...although there's always a few GM's who make bad deadline trades, so...yeah.

RD616

May 4, 2010
So Columbus needs centers.. how about Kerfoot? :naughty:

Kerfoot + Sandin

For

Gavrikov + Nyquist (with some % of retention)

Last edited:

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
You drive a hard bargain. We'll upgrade Iafallo to Ardvidsson!

Would rather target a more offensive defender first. Walker, JAD + pick closer to the deadline. Don't feel comfortable giving up a pick this early in the season.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You are the 2nd Oiler fan including Broberg in the return.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Gavrikov, but Broberg (not a bust, and required for his ELC) is a pretty big return, still > late first in my opinion.

So what am I missing? What the stats show is a 20-30 point 27 year old defenseman who pretty consistently is outscored at EV and (if rumors are true) wants $4-5M on a longer term deal.

I would think if we are willing to give Broberg, we're getting a better shutdown or two-way D, no?
The only missing piece is that if we trade for and sign Gavrikov to at least a three year deal (ideally), then we have Nurse-Gavrikov-Kulak as our left defense locked up for at least the next three years. There's no spot on a contender to break in a young guy like Broberg if all 3 regular spaces are taken by pro's in their primes.

Gavrikov is a shut down d by the accounts here. I haven't done an in depth watch to have developed an opinion, but if he is a very good defensive defenseman, then he's a fit in Edmonton.

Gavrikov and a veteran bottom six winger, for Broberg and Pulujarvi might make some sense, depending on who the winger is.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
CBJ doesn't need a package of multiple guys with untapped upside. We already have more guys than spots when everyone's healthy.

If we're moving Gavrikov, a first rounder (can have conditions attached) has to be coming back. Any prospect coming back should be a center or LHD.

As much as I like Yamamoto, he doesn't make sense for CBJ to add. Puljujarvi might, since we need some size on the wings. McLeod and Holloway would seem to make far more sense for CBJ to ask for (young centers with size). Broberg wouldn't be a bad add, either, since he could be a replacement for Gavi.

For LAK, I'm assuming Byfield isn't happening even with big adds coming from CBJ (I'd do Marchenko + Gavrikov extended + a 2nd for him). Turcotte is interesting to me, but Kupari probably fits CBJ's MO a bit more since he's got some nice size.

Reactions: Viqsi

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Gavrikov is a shut down d by the accounts here. I haven't done an in depth watch to have developed an opinion, but if he is a very good defensive defenseman, then he's a fit in Edmonton.
There's a lot more offense in his game than people realize, even if by reputation he's seen as more of a shutdown guy. Had 5-28–33 last year without any PP time. Also has two OT GWG this year, both on one-timers off the rush.

He's got a good stick and blocks a lot of shots, but I see him as a versatile two-way defenseman. He can play a shutdown role, but there's more to his game than that.
Gavrikov and a veteran bottom six winger, for Broberg and Pulujarvi might make some sense, depending on who the winger is.
That sounds like it'd be Eric Robinson, who has some size and really good speed (gets a lot of PK chances) but lacks some finish. He'd be a somewhat valuable rental piece on his own, though.

Something like Gavrikov + Robinson + a 3rd for Broberg + Puljujarvi + a conditional 1st would seem to make sense.

Reactions: majormajor

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
CBJ doesn't need a package of multiple guys with untapped upside. We already have more guys than spots when everyone's healthy.

If we're moving Gavrikov, a first rounder (can have conditions attached) has to be coming back. Any prospect coming back should be a center or LHD.

As much as I like Yamamoto, he doesn't make sense for CBJ to add. Puljujarvi might, since we need some size on the wings. McLeod and Holloway would seem to make far more sense for CBJ to ask for (young centers with size). Broberg wouldn't be a bad add, either, since he could be a replacement for Gavi.

For LAK, I'm assuming Byfield isn't happening even with big adds coming from CBJ (I'd do Marchenko + Gavrikov extended + a 2nd for him). Turcotte is interesting to me, but Kupari probably fits CBJ's MO a bit more since he's got some nice size.
If you want Kupari 2023 1st round pick will not be available from LA

Here are the Kings offers for Gavrikov:

Kupari and 2023 2nd round pick or Durzi and 2023 1st round pick

No excuse for Holland not to get Gavrikov. He fits on the Oilers like a glove
He fits on almost any NHL team like a glove

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
There's a lot more offense in his game than people realize, even if by reputation he's seen as more of a shutdown guy. Had 5-28–33 last year without any PP time. Also has two OT GWG this year, both on one-timers off the rush.

He's got a good stick and blocks a lot of shots, but I see him as a versatile two-way defenseman. He can play a shutdown role, but there's more to his game than that.

That sounds like it'd be Eric Robinson, who has some size and really good speed (gets a lot of PK chances) but lacks some finish. He'd be a somewhat valuable rental piece on his own, though.

Something like Gavrikov + Robinson + a 3rd for Broberg + Puljujarvi + a conditional 1st would seem to make sense.
I'm not sure if Holland would do his first and Broberg in this deal. Gavrikov, Robinson for Broberg, Pulujarvi and a mid round pick I could see, but Broberg is nearly NHL ready - he might be now to be honest. We just don't have the right makeup for another puck mover in our top six.

I honestly expect Holland to bring Broberg up and try him as our 2LD before he makes a trade like this anyway to be honest. But I think his value should make the 1st unnecessary in this deal.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Thanks for the scouting reports. Can you give a bit more insight on Gavrikov though? For a "shutdown" guy his on ice Goals Against at even strength has been pretty terrible for the last three years... 3.6/60 to 4.2/60...

Now granted he's been playing on the team with the worst goals against during that span (that was a surprise to me!), but even comparing to Tyson Barrie (who people prop up as being TERRIBLE defensively) has numbers that are closer to 3.0/60 than they are to 4.0/60.

Also, let's just assume Gavrikov is worth a 1st. I buy that.

How then are Robinson and a 3rd worth Broberg and Puljujarvi? Assuming you value Pulju as a 3rd (I don't think Holland does, but anyway...)... that would still put Robinson = Broberg and that's not in the realm of realistic to me.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The price is probably too high. It's a sellers market right now. He's probably hoping more options open up. Remember, as long as he fills that hole by the trade deadline we should be okay. Prices might come down after some other team starts making trades and taking them out of the running for guys like Gavrikov. He probably doesn't want to be the first one, in hopes the price goes down
In deadpuck era, you didnt need to be an extra ordinary skater and postional defender. You just need to be strong and mean.
It was an extraordinary skilled center that was needed. After all rulechanges, the skilled playerd got more room, and it became harder to be a defender. It took more skill. You needed to be smart as a chessplayer, like positional, great skatibg and puckmoving. You get easy exposed. That increases the demand for a great defender instead,and the pricetag for a C is lower.

Get the D, and get rich.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
ok i get y not iafallo but jad played center in jr and his first call up in nhl .He actually is best there imo He actually is on the wing because of the kings center depth I think he would flourish with you guys. The kid needs a chance to play imo Give me a counter offer please
No, no buts. We have plenty of "this guy is currently playing wing BUT HE TOTALLY DID CENTER BEFORE" as well. Hell, our best center prospect (KJ) practically exemplifies this.

As for counteroffers... we've been pretty steady at "a mid-to-late 1st this year, OR an equivalent prospect that meets positional/skillset needs we don't already have."

* * *​
So Columbus needs centers.. how about Kerfoot? :naughty:
they will never find the body

* * *​
You drive a hard bargain. We'll upgrade Iafallo to Ardvidsson!
The Preds fan in me still loves Arvy, but, no, the objections for the Jackets remain the same. :)

Would rather target a more offensive defender first. Walker, JAD + pick closer to the deadline. Don't feel comfortable giving up a pick this early in the season.
That's fair. Whatever it is that meets y'all's priorities. We're just hoping to have a value reclamation backup plan in case we can't keep him ourselves.

* * *​
If you want Kupari 2023 1st round pick will not be available from LA

Here are the Kings offers for Gavrikov:

Kupari and 2023 2nd round pick or Durzi and 2023 1st round pick
I think those are plausible for us. At the very least I can't find any immediate objections.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Thanks for the scouting reports. Can you give a bit more insight on Gavrikov though? For a "shutdown" guy his on ice Goals Against at even strength has been pretty terrible for the last three years... 3.6/60 to 4.2/60...
Those types of stats are heavily contextual IMO and don't paint a very complete picture because team systems/personnel fits vary greatly team-to-team. For CBJ, our team systems (and goaltending) are garbage – our whole defense looks lost all the time – and our personnel back there doesn't fit very well together.

The reason he's seen as a shutdown guy first is because as a rookie he was playing primarily with Savard and that was their niche. Last year he played a lot with (and covered up for) Boqvist. When Werenski's been out the last couple of years, Gavrikov has stepped up and played big minutes.

Just from watching his game since he came over, I've seen him evolve from a shutdown-only guy to a two-way guy who can play big minutes. I think he'd be enormously valuable on a good team.

How then are Robinson and a 3rd worth Broberg and Puljujarvi? Assuming you value Pulju as a 3rd (I don't think Holland does, but anyway...)... that would still put Robinson = Broberg and that's not in the realm of realistic to me.
The market for Gavrikov (a big-minute, versatile defenseman on a cheap contract) is going to be big enough that his value will, as the deadline approaches, grow to be "first round pick plus good prospect."

Robinson also strikes me as a good add for a contender. Good size and instincts, great (borderline elite) speed and a really cheap contract. So, to me, it's more of "Gavrikov + 3rd for Broberg + 1st" with a Robinson-Puljujarvi swap added.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Personally, I agree that that's an overreach. Robinson is pretty highly valued here, but that's because 1) we're a bit short on guys who forecheck with the tenacity he does and 2) he's chilldhood buddy-buddies with Johnny Hockey. But that doesn't mean much of anything for other teams. :)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The market for Gavrikov (a big-minute, versatile defenseman on a cheap contract) is going to be big enough that his value will, as the deadline approaches, grow to be "first round pick plus good prospect."

Robinson also strikes me as a good add for a contender. Good size and instincts, great (borderline elite) speed and a really cheap contract. So, to me, it's more of "Gavrikov + 3rd for Broberg + 1st" with a Robinson-Puljujarvi swap added.
I think this is potentially undervaluing Broberg.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
He is a no brainer fit for Edmonton. If an extension can be done right away something like Broberg+ should be on the table.
It's not that I have run out of patience with the kids but the Oilers need to win now and they aren't doing a very good job of it this year ! I'm glad we drafted the likes of Broberg and Bouchard but if we traded for a more experienced d-man who's better than both of these guys defensively and we were able to re-sign him long term then I wouldn't be against moving one of our two top D future players.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I think this is potentially undervaluing Broberg.
Broberg seems to be a 2 way defenseman, with his strength as a offensive man. The thing is that oilers already has 3 of those. Oilers needs defensive guys, that can bodycheck and be postional sound. I dobt get at all why Holland is so attached to Broberg, when he already had two of that kind in his house.
Doesnt Holland want to win??
The defense after 1 pair bleeds. Oilers NEEDS defensive stability. Do Holland belive that Broberg is the second coming of Duncan Kieth? The guy leaved a void after his retireing.

For fakk sake Holland. Get the DAMN D!! 1st, Broberg, Holloway on the tablr. You HAVE to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad