Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign extension with Kris Russell (1 year, $1.25M)

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
For people who don't get it. We HAVE to expose a dman who is signed for 2021-2022 who plays 40+ games this season or 70+ in the last 2 years combined. As of right now without this signing the only player we can expose is Klefbom. We have to find a player that meets the requirement. As long as the contract is low it would be very easy to move or burry
This should help clarify why this is being done ^^

Also, Russell is a perfectly capable (and pretty good bottom pairing d) so as long as he comes in around 1.5m or less he’s a good guy to keep around anyway. Plus, he loves playing here and is a warrior on the ice. One of the guys who really leave it all out there. The problem with him has always been that he was ~1.5m overpaid, not the on ice performance.

Again, as long as the money isn’t crazy (under 1.5m ish) this is a smart decision. Also, with Bro/Bouch both probably playing full time for 21-22, he’s gonna be the #7 anyway.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
As expansion draft as long as its cheap it seems to make sense i guess. If its at the same salary he's getting right now ? Ehh that wouldn't be so great.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
can I ask why it has to be an old bag of popcorn?

Im willing to buy you a fresh bag if the money is tight! or maybe Kris will buy it with his new contract money!

you sir are neither from a prairie province or from province or state that gets the joke " We have both style of music, both country and western."

My big old bag popcorn is nearly popped

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Would it be cheaper to buy him out and then sign him for 2yrs at league min?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yes, but we *have* to expose a defenceman that meets criteria, and the way things stand now we'd have to expose one of Klefbom Nurse, Bear, or Jones, and we don't want to have to do that.
Assuming Klefbom, Nurse and Bear are protected, does it still leave Jones exposed?

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
He's so bad. I think he's like a number 7 or 8 guy. Essentially a really good AHL player. Not a fan of this move at all for the Oil

Reactions: Morrison

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He signed Barrie for under 4 mill. You really see him signing Russell for more?

Idk its pretty obvious its only for expansion draft purposes . Russell probably has to be paid some extra cash for that.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
If (and it sounds extremely likely) Klefbom is on the Injured list all year and is not cleared to play, can Seattle still take him? Or does he need to be cleared for expansion teams to take?

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
He's so bad. I think he's like a number 7 or 8 guy. Essentially a really good AHL player. Not a fan of this move at all for the Oil
Yeah, okay.

One way or another I'd be happy to have him back for an extra year at 2.5 or under.

Reactions: Darkwinter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad