Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers re-sign Ryan Strome (2 years, $3.1M AAV)

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
You were critical of the Oilers when they were in the playoffs last year? Doubtful, I know what to expect from you
Always felt they over achieved and I was right. you’re one to question anyone, you can’t throw rocks if you live in a glass house in manittoooooooba

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
At 3.1, Strome could make it look like a real good contract.
Worth a shot.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Strome at 3.1M and is an RFA after the contract. That's actually a great contract for what he brings and his potential. If he plays like he did last year he earns his money, if he plays better he becomes a value contract. Nothing wrong with this signing.

And Eberle won't help a playoff team do anything, he was given the chance and failed. At 6M it's easy to move on from him and try a cheaper more valuable option in Strome.

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
Admitting the Strome for Eberle was bad, does not make you less of a fan. Both players are flawed, as of now islanders got the better of it.
You can be upset at it, bashing Eberle serves no purpose we all know what he is.. Saying you wanted him off the team, sure... But should they have gotten more for him 100%.
As kings fan I'm still fuming for the Lucic trade, (luckly, oilers threw all that money at him...im happy about that).

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
If I were a team needing a young left defenseman, I'd give serious though to signing Nurse to an offer sheet after this deal. What's edmonton got, 5 mil in space left? 3 years, 18 mil or 4/24 for Nurse. Only 23, seemed to be really good last year on a bad team. Still finding his way offensively, and you're taking a risk giving him that kind of contract, but I feel like he could very easily be worth that salary and the first and third you'd give up for edmonton not matching. I'd trade a first and a third for Nurse right now.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If I were a team needing a young left defenseman, I'd give serious though to signing Nurse to an offer sheet after this deal. What's edmonton got, 5 mil in space left? 3 years, 18 mil or 4/24 for Nurse. Only 23, seemed to be really good last year on a bad team. Still finding his way offensively, and you're taking a risk giving him that kind of contract, but I feel like he could very easily be worth that salary and the first and third you'd give up for edmonton not matching. I'd trade a first and a third for Nurse right now.
Nurse would have to sign the offer sheet. I don't think he would. He loves playing for the Oilers and is super close to a lot of his teammates.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Nurse would have to sign the offer sheet. I don't think he would. He loves playing for the Oilers and is super close to a lot of his teammates.

For sure, definitely no guarantee he would. But man, for a team like the Devils? I would still have to give it serious thought in at least trying. Plenty of space for the deal, fits a perfect need, and he's young. I know that GMs don't like to burn bridges those ways, and I get that. It's certainly tricky to navigate.

But honestly, I'm also just a fiend for chaos. I wish more teams made use of offer sheets. Screw business relationships lol.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Admitting the Strome for Eberle was bad, does not make you less of a fan. Both players are flawed, as of now islanders got the better of it.
You can be upset at it, bashing Eberle serves no purpose we all know what he is.. Saying you wanted him off the team, sure... But should they have gotten more for him 100%.
As kings fan I'm still fuming for the Lucic trade, (luckly, oilers threw all that money at him...im happy about that).
It wasn't bad though.

Explain your reasoning why the Oilers lost the trade, taking contracts into consideration.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
It wasn't bad though.

Explain your reasoning why the Oilers lost the trade, taking contracts into consideration.
It was a bad value trade for the Oilers. With that said, they had to move money out to prepare for this year so I can live with the deal. Still not happy about it, but it seems Strome has found himself filling a position of need. Hopefully one of Yamamoto or Puljujarvi will be able to make up for some of Eberle's production this year.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
It was a bad value trade for the Oilers. With that said, they had to move money out to prepare for this year so I can live with the deal. Still not happy about it, but it seems Strome has found himself filling a position of need. Hopefully one of Yamamoto or Puljujarvi will be able to make up for some of Eberle's production this year.
What kind of value do you expect for Eberle?

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Didn’t realize this was an Eberle for Strome trade thread. Some people lol... it was a bad trade but served a purpose for the Oilers (cap space) and we got a piece back that is cheaper and Oiler fans are content with. Can we please move on? Thought we’d be done talking about that trade 5 pages in.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm happy to have him as a 3rd line center for 2 more years. He had very little to work with last year. Khaira got better with every year and he could be playing with Puljujarvi on the RW. There's potential for him to have a good year given how his wingers are big, aren't slow and are both shooters. Puljujarvi is going to get better in the dirty areas as he matures and Khaira already thrives there. Also like the way Strome passes the puck on the PP. Expect to see him centering the 2nd PP unit.

No dog in this fight, but I feel like 6M is pretty reasonable for 25G/60P, especially with the cap increasing.

It's more than reasonable except he never puts and effort in and never takes any risks. He's text book definition of 1 dimensional.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
His addition allows us to be able to move RNH to McDavid's LW and RNH is a better fit with Connor than Hall or Eberle ever showed to be. We just added Rieder for $2 million and Brodziak for $1.15 million. We wouldn't have had room for either had we kept Eberle.

Reactions: FlameChampion

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I'm rooting for Strome. Always seemed like a mature and stand-up kid. The fact that he was so freaking good in his first full season leads me to believe there is still at least a chance he could develop into a 50-60 point guy in the right circumstance. Good cap # at the very least.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Solid contract IMO.

I thought he would've come in at around3.5-4 based on the Derek Ryan deal the Flames gave out.

Strome's still only 24 ..and has finally bought into being a 3rd line guy...hes only gonna get better there IMO

This. Obviously his offensive upside hasn’t materialized. If he can continue working on his D game, work ethic, and FOs, he’s carved himself as one of the better 3Cs.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Just want to add this. It was ONE postseason, let’s not jump to conclusions about Jordan Eberle. People are writing him off as a playoff contributor, just as they were with Strome and his NHL career.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Just want to add this. It was ONE postseason, let’s not jump to conclusions about Jordan Eberle. People are writing him off as a playoff contributor, just as they were with Strome and his NHL career.
It was also several years of watching him shy away from contact, look lazy on the back check, and disappear in tight physical games. Eberle didn't do this when he first came into the league, but he has changed a lot as a player over the years. He used to drive the net consistently. Now he does it a few times per season.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
It was also several years of watching him shy away from contact, look lazy on the back check, and disappear in tight physical games. Eberle didn't do this when he first came into the league, but he has changed a lot as a player over the years. He used to drive the net consistently. Now he does it a few times per season.

And that’s what impressed me about him with NYI. He won battles on the boards, fought through checks, and drove the slot. I was actually surprised to see that after everything I read from Oil fans.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

I agree with what your saying but I don't think Eberle is long for a Trotz/Lou led team.

I'll always be rooting for Strome. Real stand up guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad