Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers re-sign Ryan Strome (2 years, $3.1M AAV)

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If I were a team needing a young left defenseman, I'd give serious though to signing Nurse to an offer sheet after this deal. What's edmonton got, 5 mil in space left? 3 years, 18 mil or 4/24 for Nurse. Only 23, seemed to be really good last year on a bad team. Still finding his way offensively, and you're taking a risk giving him that kind of contract, but I feel like he could very easily be worth that salary and the first and third you'd give up for edmonton not matching. I'd trade a first and a third for Nurse right now.

And like every other team the Oilers would match. They would then move Matt Benning and go with a cheaper #6 defenseman. Teams don't do this because it simply inflates the cost of RFA's for everyone.

The Eberle/Strom deal also included $3.5M in cap space. So it is clear that it would be a downgrade. But had it not happen the Oilers would be forced to trade Eberle right now anyway. With one year left on his deal rather than two and a cap ceiling of $2.5-3M for the return what is the likelihood that they could get someone better than Strome right now?

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
And that’s what impressed me about him with NYI. He won battles on the boards, fought through checks, and drove the slot. I was actually surprised to see that after everything I read from Oil fans.
Can't speak much on his game in NY, but I'm talking more about challenging defenders 1 on 1. Early in his career he used to put his shoulder down and drive around defenders fearlessly. Haven't seen much of that from him in years.

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
This thread is a reminder of "classic" hfboards. Before the Oilers traded Hall and Eberle, the rhetoric on here was that Hall is terrible and won't get a huge return and that Eberle has negative value. So Chia trades both of them for inferior players, then hfboards erupts with Chia is terrible. So which is it?
I honestly think Chia is fairly bad. Probably one of the worst at trading. But when it comes to Hall, he finally hit his full potential this last season in New Jersey. Did Chia jump the gun and give up on him to quickly? Hindsight says yes. With Eberle, I don't think Chia made a mistake. What he got for Eberle is probably the same as he would get if he held onto him until now. Eberle is a good player, but he is the type of player winning teams try to avoid. He doesn't bring much to the table besides great hands and above average offensive production.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Even without hindsight giving up on Hall was a mistake - the Oilers traded the wrong first overall IMO

Based upon all information given prior to the Hall trade--they were not getting anyone near as good as Larsson for either Nuge or Yak--

teams knew that the oilers needed to make a move and the held them for ransom

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Meh, I disagree about Oilers needing to make a trade there. Look at the defense corps Penguins had in 2017 playoffs. If you can't make a decent trade at the time, just hold onto what you have and try to make do.

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
Even without hindsight giving up on Hall was a mistake - the Oilers traded the wrong first overall IMO
Well that's obvious, but that's not the point. The point was that hfboards was saying that Hall was terrible and that his value was low. Then as soon as he traded him for Larsson, hfboards was quick to jump on how terrible of a deal it was. With logic like that, these people's opinions are always right even when they are wrong.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Meh, I disagree about Oilers needing to make a trade there. Look at the defense corps Penguins had in 2017 playoffs. If you can't make a decent trade at the time, just hold onto what you have and try to make do.

It’s always a strange phenomenon when fans insist on doubling down defending terrible decisions.

Nobody forced Chia to make that trade.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Why would they sign him for 2years and potentially let him walk? Wouldn't a 1 year prove it deal make more sense for both sides?

BeautBabeC

Feb 17, 2010
Do you understand how cap dump trades work? The cap dump usually does out produce the bit pieces the team gets back.

(not that I liked the trade cause we never ended up needing the money, but it was a classic cap dump trade.)

a 60 point player at 6 mil is a "cap dump" trade? Figure it out dude you're way off.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If I were a team needing a young left defenseman, I'd give serious though to signing Nurse to an offer sheet after this deal. What's edmonton got, 5 mil in space left? 3 years, 18 mil or 4/24 for Nurse. Only 23, seemed to be really good last year on a bad team. Still finding his way offensively, and you're taking a risk giving him that kind of contract, but I feel like he could very easily be worth that salary and the first and third you'd give up for edmonton not matching. I'd trade a first and a third for Nurse right now.

Edmonton would match and make salary room somehow. Probably turn around and deal Strome on the cheap.

Offer sheets are a fan’s wet dream because it’s effectively getting something for almost nothing but they never happen. GM’s are scared shitless that if they do it other GMs will do it to their players.

Reactions: Forge

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
They didn't need to make the trade last season, but Eberle would not fit under the cap this season so he needed to be traded before the start of the upcoming season regardless.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
The trade is over and both teams accomplished what they needed.

1) Edmonton added 2.9 million in cap space for this season while giving a flyer to a top 10 draft pick in Strome. Losing Eberle did cause the team to tank, it was more about injuries and horrible pk. Strome is vanilla, but that cap space right now is huge.

2) Eberle added the scoring NYI we’re looking for in this deal. Did they win this deal, probably but not by as much as you might think. This trade was touted as getting Tavares his winger, yet Eberle ended up with Barzal. We all know that Tavares left, and this trade was not a major part of that, but it didn’t help keep him as was advertised. The fact remains the islanders were only marginally better than the oilers so neither player were difference makers.

It will be interesting to see how this trade looks a year from now in the post Tavares era.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Can't speak much on his game in NY, but I'm talking more about challenging defenders 1 on 1. Early in his career he used to put his shoulder down and drive around defenders fearlessly. Haven't seen much of that from him in years.

He did more of that here, taking guys 1 on 1, driving to the slot. Let’s see if he keeps it up.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Not a big Oilers fan, but he should be a perennial 40 point guy going forward. Nice signing.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Edmonton would match and make salary room somehow. Probably turn around and deal Strome on the cheap.

Offer sheets are a fan’s wet dream because it’s effectively getting something for almost nothing but they never happen. GM’s are scared ****less that if they do it other GMs will do it to their players.

Oh for sure. I mean, I love the chaos and anger it creates because I don't have to deal with it haha. And I figure that Edmonton would find a way to match it, but man, I'd be really temped, especially for the Devils given how well he could fit the team needs, his age, etc.

I do like the RFA structure in the NHL though. I don't feel like it's the worst compensation ever. I mean, 6 million would net a first and a third, and that's certainly not chump change. Worth Nurse? No...if the Devils offered Edmonton a first and a third for him they would never take it obviously, but it's not the worst compensation ever. Slightly over 6 mil and you're looking at 1st, 2nd and 3rds. So it's certainly not terrible. I think I like it more than the other sports.

And I'm sure if the Devils did that, someone would blow up Will Butcher's RFA next year haha. Long memories in the league.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
At more then double the cost all while being as soft as a babies bottom defensively and on the puck . Dollar for dollar they produce close to the same

Would you rather have two 30 point players or one 60 point player?

Give me the 60 point player. That leaves room for 1 extra roster player

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
https://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-jordan-eberle-nhl-playoffs/

https://thehockeywriters.com/jordan-eberle-scoring-issues/

Jordan Eberle and several Edmonton Oilers need to produce more on offence to defeat the Anaheim Ducks

Eberle's performance in the playoffs was a complete embarassment. Everyone was hoping he would rekindle his clutch World Junior mode, but he was passive and weak and played like he iust didn't care.

What do you do with a $6million player who mailed in effort in the playoffs?? His first playoffs ever after 6 years of futility???

No Oiler fan misses Eberle. He should have been healthy scratched for the playoffs.

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad