Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers re-sign Ryan Strome (2 years, $3.1M AAV)

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Lool love how people dropped the same old hur dur Eberle for Strome comments but when Oiler fans fire back we are all of a sudden the salty ones. Lool get the f*** outta here :laugh: no Oilers fan misses Eberle

Reactions: 780il

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Well, if he's an above average defensive player and can put up 30-35 points then he's a valuable guy. If he's a 35 pt. guy and a defensive liability, then...

He's good defensively, even if he's not exceptional. He did well in the last half of the season after being settled into the 3rd line C role, at a point when the team was basically out of it and there wasn't much to play for. But he was solid. Hopefully he can raise the tempo of his game when we're playing meaningful games, as that would be my only slight complaint: sometimes you just don't notice him at all out there. That said, he's also quiet in that good way, defensively speaking. Just needs to perhaps raise the intensity to lift his point totals and offensive contributions up a bit. That said, I've never seen a guy hit a post or just BARELY miss the net on so many chances (more so than any other of our players); he could've easily had 20 goals or more. Maybe he should be working on his accuracy a bit this summer. So yeah, we'll see what happens, but my gut tells me he'll continue to embrace the role, and will continue to overall help more than hurt the team, which is what any good 3rd line C worth their weight in salt does.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Weird because when Eberle was an Oiler all we ever heard was how he was overpaid and a cap dump at that price.

In fairness, I think that term is used way too often on HF. Some folks on here default to describing players as cap dumps anytime it's a decently paid player who isn't quite a star as a way of downplaying their value.

I'm pretty sure I've seen cap dump used in reference to Kris Letang all because he had a rough series versus Washington.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
I really thought he was gonna do a lot better, his production doubled from
Cappy to weight, thought that would've continued on the oilers

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I really thought he was gonna do a lot better, his production doubled from
Cappy to weight, thought that would've continued on the oilers
I don't think he's comfortable on the wing and they Oilers forced him there for half the season. I'll wait another year before I make a decision on the player. His game was fine last year at this price, but I'd like to see what a full season at centre and 2nd year in the organization look like. Not everyone settles in during their first year with a new team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's good defensively, even if he's not exceptional. He did well in the last half of the season after being settled into the 3rd line C role, at a point when the team was basically out of it and there wasn't much to play for. But he was solid. Hopefully he can raise the tempo of his game when we're playing meaningful games, as that would be my only slight complaint: sometimes you just don't notice him at all out there. That said, he's also quiet in that good way, defensively speaking. Just needs to perhaps raise the intensity to lift his point totals and offensive contributions up a bit. That said, I've never seen a guy hit a post or just BARELY miss the net on so many chances (more so than any other of our players); he could've easily had 20 goals or more. Maybe he should be working on his accuracy a bit this summer. So yeah, we'll see what happens, but my gut tells me he'll continue to embrace the role, and will continue to overall help more than hurt the team, which is what any good 3rd line C worth their weight in salt does.
that sounds exactly like Brodziak. Never seen a guy hit so many posts. To be fair, though, Brodziak is a bottom six guy who has intangibles up the wazoo. Great PK'er, excellent defensively, maxes out on his limited skillset, will fight another team's tough guy if no else steps up...don't think Strome is there yet. Has to be an adjustment from being a top draft pick to being a grinder.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
What an aberration that 50 point season (seemingly) was. 41 points were at Even Strength too

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
He won't be a UFA? Thought it was 27 or 7 years pro. Can someone explain the 7 years thing if that's not the case
He willing be 26 when his contract ends and he will have played only 6 seasons in the NHL. His 2013-2014 season was an entry level slide.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
He looked a lot more consistent to end the season once they stopped trying to make him work as a winger. I anticipate that he will settle in fine as 3C this year.

I’m hoping that he’s more comfortable with the team and his role this year. He has the potential to be a 40 point 3C, which would be really good. Especially if he works on his defensive game.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Holly cow 3m for a bottom line player :sarcasm:

PS: just quoting oilers fan on the Ryan signing

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
True but if they had a competent gm that didn’t pay Kris Russell 4 million a year they would figure it out. Chia destroyed a perennial powerhouse, only he could mess up such a promising situation.

Huh? What perennial powerhouse? The oilers were 11 years out of the playoffs, including 4 #1 picks. The team was an absolute trainwreck, and has performed better since Chia took the reigns. He deserves all of the crap he takes (and to be fired) for the Hall and Reinhart trades, as well as the Lucic and Russel signings, but the Eberle deal doesn't really affect our place in the standings.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
After the deadline he got a huge push on the PK after Todd started coaching it. The PK was 2nd in the league in that time.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Watching Eberle dog it in the playoffs was why he's gone. For a guy who spent his entire career on a bottom feeder, it was pathetic watching no effort his first chance at the dance.

I mean he scored 90% of his goals against non-playoff teams his final season on the Oilers.

His playoffs were utterly disgusting to watch, especially considering he was given such butter-soft minutes:
GP: 13
G: 0
A: 2
Pts: 2

Yeah, Strome is an inferior player, but I'd rather we have him than Eberle at $6million.

This is 100% true. I was a huge Eberle fan, but watching him play his last two seasons here was painful. At least Lucic had an awesome first year and was awesome in the playoffs; Eberle did nothing at all when his team needed him the most. I don't miss him at all

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
that sounds exactly like Brodziak. Never seen a guy hit so many posts. To be fair, though, Brodziak is a bottom six guy who has intangibles up the wazoo. Great PK'er, excellent defensively, maxes out on his limited skillset, will fight another team's tough guy if no else steps up...don't think Strome is there yet. Has to be an adjustment from being a top draft pick to being a grinder.
Strome is a pretty good pker himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad