Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers re-sign Mikko Koskinen (3 years, 4.5M AAV)

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Lol @ koskinen saying he believes in the players and team. Throw enough money at someone and they will lie and say foolish things. no one is buying it kosky, but hey, you got your money and I can’t say I blame you for taking it.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Koskinen has played better than the numbers seem. People should also take into account that goalie save perventage league wide is on the downswing. Moreover, everyone surely knows that the Oilers defence is quite bad.
I think it has less to do with what he's previously done, or what he'll do, and more about people seeing this as a move they didn't have to make right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: smitty10

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Reminds me of Anaheim signing Viktor Fasth to a two-year, $2.9MM AAV contract after a hot start to the 2013 season.

Started calling that guy "Lottery" because he hit it. The torch has now been passed. Funny that Fasth rolled through Edmonton on his way out of the league.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Of course it does. :)

tenor.gif

You can't even make this stuff up.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto

Of course it does. :)

Why????

How does one GM lose every single negotiation he is apart of? He just gave a guy that has absolutely no leverage at all a 3 year $4.5m contract with a NTC?! The guy is 30 years old and has played 31 NHL games, of which maybe 15 have been good. You can't tell me that Koskinen wouldn't have been willing to sign a 2 year $3m contract to stay in Edmonton and have a shot as the starter. Why not wait until the end of the year and evaluate the situation then? His value isn't likely to skyrocket before that point any ways. So many questions...

And Chia still has a job....

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
I can't even begin to fathom this signing. I am beginning to feel sorry for Oiler fans (coming from a Flames fan). This contract is ridiculous. They should have at least waited until the end of the season before he hit UFA. There is no reason to do it now. His numbers on the last 11 games are below average. This could hurt the oilers.

Last edited:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Nothing like taking the sample size of when our D core was decimated (#1 still out and our #3 only been back for a few games out of that stretch). Cherry picking at it's finest to back up a narrative.

Why do all the detractors fail to mention how he played when our D was healthy and we had our #1 and # 3 playing?

Reactions: Wretched Oil

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Stop being so sensitive. It’s funny
It's pointing out the facts...Sorry If I've offended you with it (not really).

It's like saying that living in Amerika right now would be funny...some might get offended by that, but maybe they should just stop being so sensitive about it.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Nothing like taking the sample size of when our D core was decimated (#1 still out and our #3 only been back for a few games out of that stretch). Cherry picking at it's finest to back up a narrative.

He has played 31 games in his career. His last 11 games have been a disaster, that is a third of his career. Why give him 4.5 million after that stretch? Were his first 20 so good that his last 11 should be ignored? Why not wait to see if they improve? His numbers this year are more or less the same as Markstrom at 1.5 million. Why triple that based on 31 games? I'm a Canucks fan, so I've seen my share of strange moves, but this one makes no sense. It's not like teams were going to be lining up for his services as a UFA.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Koskinen's nickname is Kostco, right?

Well, I guess Costco the place you go to acquire things in quantities you don't necessarily need, right? :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: guzzy

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
I like this deal very much for Mikko Koskinen, he is very nice and tall (just about my height) person, it is great to see him getting paid good for a couple of years. Also I like this deal for the Oilers, because Mikko Koskinen will certainly be a dependable starting goalie for the length of this contract. Maybe his resume in NHL isn't that great yet, but this time the Oilers have seen the future.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I like this deal very much for Mikko Koskinen, he is very nice and tall (just about my height) person, it is great to see him getting paid good for a couple of years. Also I like this deal for the Oilers, because Mikko Koskinen will certainly be a dependable starting goalie for the length of this contract. Maybe his resume in NHL isn't that great yet, but this time the Oilers have seen the future.
Is that you, Mikko?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Why do all the detractors fail to mention how he played when our D was healthy and we had our #1 and # 3 playing?
Injured players or not, the contract is absolutely insane for a guy with 30 NHL starts and is 30 years old. Even if the numbers were good, this contract still doesn't make sense. It's like PC puts numbers in a hat and made an offer. Look at the goalies that make similar money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad