Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers re-sign Mikko Koskinen (3 years, 4.5M AAV)

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I’ve seen half of Koski’s starts. The contract is premature, but he’s a good goalie that has stolen points for the Oil.

I’m just surprised that ownership would OK this deal, then fire Chiarelli. Hm.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I actually think Koskinen is a solid goalie who has a legit chance to be a starter in the NHL. In that light, the contract has a reasonable chance to not be a total trainwreck. However, there's nothing suggesting that the Oilers should have been giving him that much money over 3 years. Just because there's a possible chance that a 31-year old goalie can be a starter in the NHL doesn't mean you pay him like one after 30 or so games.

Terribly negotiated contract. I hope Koskinen can live up to the deal and not make the Oilers even more screwed than they already are.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I’ll preface this by saying I haven’t watched this guy all season.

Watched him play the Wings tonight and wow. If that’s what 4.5M gets you the Oilers are in trouble. All 3 goals tonight were on him. Poor positioning on the Larkin goal, and just leaky as heck letting Glendening score twice. I mean I get it goalies let in a bad goal once in awhile, but three Charmin softies in a game? Is this really the guy you want to rely on for a playoff run? I hope for the Oilers sake he was just channeling his inner Cloutier tonight but man it’s been a long time since I saw such an awful goalie performance. Seriously look up the goal replays on the NHL site I’m not exaggerating at how bad he was.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I was one of the strongest critics of this signing - I called it bar none Chia's worst move so far.

In retrospect, i don't think it's so bad. Just view it as 1.5M$ AVV with 3M$ a year retention for 3 years to get rid of Chia - from an Oiler's perspective i think it'll be a plus in the long run.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I’ll preface this by saying I haven’t watched this guy all season.

Watched him play the Wings tonight and wow. If that’s what 4.5M gets you the Oilers are in trouble. All 3 goals tonight were on him. Poor positioning on the Larkin goal, and just leaky as heck letting Glendening score twice. I mean I get it goalies let in a bad goal once in awhile, but three Charmin softies in a game? Is this really the guy you want to rely on for a playoff run? I hope for the Oilers sake he was just channeling his inner Cloutier tonight but man it’s been a long time since I saw such an awful goalie performance. Seriously look up the goal replays on the NHL site I’m not exaggerating at how bad he was.

Um, maybe pay attention to the contract and get your facts straight. Koskinen's new $4.5 Million dollars doesn't kick in until next year. Those soft goals were on a $2.5 Million dollar goaltender. :sarcasm:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
There's been rumors for the better part of a month that chiarelli had to go through his superiors to make moves.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Do people honestly believe he did this out of spite or in some secret fashion where no other managment was on board with it? Fio. Oilers management was on board with this signing, 150%

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
You all are exaggerating. It's certainly not a signing to be excited about, but it looks like 4.5 will make him 17th highest paid goalie (before upcoming UFA goalie signings, so will surely drop down the list), and at about the same cap% Talbot is currently taking up on the team. If they don't want to keep running with Talbot then he obviously has to be replaced. I don't know who all would be available in the off season but if you don't feel confident in being able to sign whatever UFA might be available and don't want to give up assets in a trade, then shifting money from one goalie to another who is playing better and already in the organization isn't that bad of a move. It would be nice to get a good deal, and this isn't that, but I wouldn't necessarily call it bad.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1