Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers re-sign Mikko Koskinen (3 years, 4.5M AAV)

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Lol @ koskinen saying he believes in the players and team. Throw enough money at someone and they will lie and say foolish things. no one is buying it kosky, but hey, you got your money and I can’t say I blame you for taking it.

If you make lots of money, its impossible to tell the truth

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The no-trade clause is irrelevant. He's more likely to get bought out. No team is gonna trade for a $4.5M cap hit goalie as a backup. They certainly would if he's a starter but in that scenario, the Oilers wouldn't be trading him to begin with.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
If Koskinen keeps his current play up that's a good deal. But that's a fairly BIG if...
Se what happened to Talbot after a year in Edmonton. That could turn out ugly. Hopefully for the Oilers, it doesn't turn bad.

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
Ugh. I pray to god we don't make the playoffs this year, as I just couldn't handle more of Chia. A nice losing streak leading up to the trade deadline would be ideal as well, to keep him from making another bad move to help us get in.

Don't get me wrong, this deal could turn out ok. Thing is, it's a lot more likely to be a massive boat anchor to add to the rest of them that we have. It's getting hard to see any time in the next 3 years that we'll have the salary to actually add some quality depth.looks like we'll end up having to either trade somebody we don't want to or keep rushing prospects into the NHL before they're ready.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
There is no way you can tell me 3 years @ 4.5M and 15-team NTC were the only terms Koskinen would accept after ~30 games in the league.

Like come on, at least try to negotiate.

Last summer Koskinen was probably like ”i hope i can make the big bucks, it’s a tough league and im getting older, maybe i still have a chance”

Koskinen now:

D9-B5-D078-E557-4-AB9-A5-D8-D854357-A8-C76.jpg

Reactions: smitty10

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
All other GMs in the league are going "WTF, you moron!". You'd think there would be a clear understanding when negotiating with players and agents come up with comparables, GMs would go, "yeah but that one is a Chiarelli so it doesn't count".

Reactions: Individual 1

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Some hilarious and good points in this thread as to why the deal sucks.

Let's pile on some more.

EDM now is paying a 30-year-old starter 4.5 million per year, despite the fact he has never played more than 41 games in a season.

I don't love his NHL numbers, but even if i did, I'd still hate this deal. What if he runs into a wall after 50 games?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Ink isn't even dry on the contract and he's already getting worked over by star sniper Luke Glendening.

Calling that 3rd goal "soft" would be generous.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Ink isn't even dry on the contract and he's already getting worked over by star sniper Luke Glendening.

Calling that 3rd goal "soft" would be generous.

Goalie and defence were both weak on that one

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
I'm a Koskinen believer so I will give him an open minded chance despite his new overpaid contract. He looks like he has all the tools and poise to be successful if he has a better team in front of him.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I'm a Koskinen believer so I will give him an open minded chance despite his new overpaid contract. He looks like he has all the tools and poise to be successful if he has a better team in front of him.
He makes ridiculously terrible positioning mistakes. For a gigantic goalie, he sure loves leaving the near side wide open.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad