Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers agree to terms with G Mikko Koskinen on a one year deal (official on July 1st)

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I think it's a good gamble. Stellar goaltending could cover up a lot of the Oilers blemishes which would be well worth the small cap hit.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Have to risk it. It was him or another goalie, and they're all basically rolls of the dice, let's face it. Talbot struggled mightily for large stretches this season to say the least, and it was one of the things that sunk us (but not the only one). Maybe Talbot returns to form of the season before this one, but maybe he doesn't for whatever reason (injuries, etc.). Montoya is not a 1b goalie, so he's just not a reasonable choice to shoulder the load should Talbot falter again, nor do I consider him a high-end or even medium-end backup.

Koskinen is probably a safer bet than a lot of Euro goalies that can sign as a UFA, and safer bets come at a cost. Still hope this doesn't hamper us from making further improvements, but this had to be done. Even if Talbot is simply league average, and Koskinen is a solid backup, that will be a huge upgrade on what we had last season, where our save percentage was near the bottom of the league.

Last edited:

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
This guy will play more than Talbot this year, I think talbot is overrated and can’t be relied on.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Best goalie in the team opened the hatch on 30 nights in the play-offs for SKA while Koskinen was playing in their two seasons together... 30 games to 6.

It is quite incredible deal with low risk and very high reward. Koskinen will eat Talbot who has done nothing in his career that would suggest he would beat Koskinen for the number one spot.

I fully support this. Koskinen for Oilers' #1 spot :thumbu:

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
The Oilers haven't had a good back up since Andy Moog. :laugh:

I hope Koskinen can push Talbot and play 25+ games. The contract is rich for a back-up but if he comes to play and he likes the team this could prove to be money well spent. Also, with Pakarinen rumored to be going to the KHL, Koskinen could be a help with Puljujarvi.

Does anyone know if Koskinen can play the puck very well or not. I like Talbot but he has to be the worst goaltender in the league playing the puck.

Reactions: CornKicker

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I'm relieved.

Greiss/Koskinen would've been a nightmare.

Greiss will bounce back. He's a backup,
but Snow run him down, same as he did with Halak, same with Nabokov.

Good for Koskinen to look elsewhere.

Enjoy your time with Snow and governors.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
The Oilers haven't had a good back up since Andy Moog. :laugh:

I hope Koskinen can push Talbot and play 25+ games. The contract is rich for a back-up but if he comes to play and he likes the team this could prove to be money well spent. Also, with Pakarinen rumored to be going to the KHL, Koskinen could be a help with Puljujarvi.

Does anyone know if Koskinen can play the puck very well or not. I like Talbot but he has to be the worst goaltender in the league playing the puck.

Jussi Markkanen? Ty Conklin?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If Koskinen can play 25-30 games in the NHL and have close to his numbers in the KHL it's a win for Edmonton.

Reactions: zar

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
You telling me this is our Ryder, Halak and 2nd?

That means Montoya, Strome and 2nd for Erik Karlsson is a legitimate option for the :edmonton

As dumb as Ryder, Halak and a 2nd was, Ryder was a 4 time 30+ goal scorer and had two other seasons with 25+ goals. Halak for most of his career has been a league average platoon goalie.

Saying that Strome, Montoya and a 2nd is comparable to Ryder Halak and a 2nd is just as dumb as the original proposals.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
They have similar statistics.

Completely different if you count that one of them isn't playing or gathering glory in the post-season.

I wouldn't say it is completely meaningless valuation if Koskinen's and Shestjorkin's team SKA seemingly clearly prefers Koskinen in play-off games (30 to 6) while sharing duties (as is normal in Eurasia) during regular season.

Before anyone says (the far smaller and domestic to KHL) Shestjorkin is better than Koskinen (of course he could be but there is a long way to go still) I would let Shestjorkin to play and win his own trophies now that he doesn't have one of the best in Eurasia for whom to open the hatch. Especially since some seem to allocate Koskinen won glory to SKA's back-up goaltender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad