Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers agree to terms with G Mikko Koskinen on a one year deal (official on July 1st)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
https://www.tsn.ca/oilers-sign-khl-g-koskinen-to-one-year-deal-1.1073249

The Edmonton Oilers have signed KHL goaltender Mikko Koskinen to a one-year contract.
Oilers general manager Peter Chiarelli identified goaltending as an early of need for the team this offseason and struck quickly in adding the former New York Islanders prospect. Financial terms of the contract were not announced.
Koskinen, second-round pick of the Islanders in 2009, appeared in four NHL games during the 2010-11 season, posting a 2-1 record.
The 29-year-old spent the past four seasons with SKA St. Peterburg. He posted a dominant 24-4-1 record this season with a .931 save percentage and a 1.69 goals-against average.
Koskinen made five starts for Finland during the Olympics earlier this year, posting a .932 save percentage and a 1.62 GAA

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Earlier reports had 2 years for 2.5mil AAV.

Interesting to see the cap, since he made far over 1 mil low tax KHL.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
ButWhy.gif
giphy.gif

Reactions: Morrison

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
One year, small risk. We needed a goalie who can play 25-30 games and push Talbot. Montoya wasn't that even though we wanted him to be.

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
He wasnt the best goalie on his team Shestyorkin was and that is why NYR have been giddy with the idea of him coming over
I don't watch KHL but according to stats , Koskinen takes #1
Whatever, the point is that he's a good goalie

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
He wasnt the best goalie on his team Shestyorkin was and that is why NYR have been giddy with the idea of him coming over

Best goalie in the team opened the hatch on 30 nights in the play-offs for SKA while Koskinen was playing in their two seasons together... 30 games to 6.

It is quite incredible deal with low risk and very high reward. Koskinen will eat Talbot who has done nothing in his career that would suggest he would beat Koskinen for the number one spot.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Best goalie in the team opened the hatch 30 times in the play-offs for SKA while Koskinen was playing in their two seasons together...

It is quite incredible deal with low risk and very high reward. Koskinen will eat Talbot who has done nothing in his career that would suggest he could compete with Koskinen for the number one spot.

and Kosikinen has not much at the NHL level either

I agree it is a low risk move--but moving out Dadbot before Koskinen plays a single game would be stupid

I do not see Koskinen starting 60 games in the NHL

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
Will be a contract year for both Oilers goalies so hopefully they work there ass off in hopes of a better contract when they hit FA.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

McJazz

Jun 18, 2016
Gothenburg
Koskinen will eat Talbot who has done nothing in his career that would suggest he would beat Koskinen for the number one spot.
Yeah except actually being a #1-goalie in the NHL.. I think it is a very good signing, but if we expect him to win the #1-job and “eat Talbot” we might very well end up disappointed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad