Confirmed Trade: [EDM/NYI] Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I remember a pretty heated debate with my brother in-law a few years ago as he was trying to tell me how much better Eberle is than Jamie Benn. Good times.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Tavares seem to mesh really well with these one-dimensional scoring wingers.

PAP, Okposo (initially), Vanek, Moulson are the names that come to mind. I don't think he'll have any issues finding chemistry with Tavares. Whether a scoring winger will help the Islanders go farther is another question, but I expect Eberle to have a 65+ point season.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
Funny to see how Eberle become a better player overnight. Not to mention that his contract went from negative value to a good contract.

scott99

May 13, 2005
It makes some difference. If you think Strome is small, soft and slow then wait til to see Eberle. Strome is much bigger, faster and grittier.
Eberle had 26 hits in full 82 games last year. He is all about button hooks and curl backs once he hits the blueline. Chiarelli claims to have personally scouted Strome for the U23 team last year.. Not really expecting much from Strome but there is a difference between Strome and Eberle when it comes to size and grit.

fresh start, contract year , McDavid ... maybe perfect strome for Strome to get his head outta his axe.

Strome is faster ? Have you ever watched him play, let alone skate ? In Strome's last 140 games he's scored 21 goals 37 assists for 58 points. Eberle had a HORRIBLE season last year (according to most) and scored 20 goals and 31 assists for 51 points in 82 games. Which, by the way, was good enough for 3rd in assists and points on the Oilers last year. Anyone who thinks this was a GREAT trade for the Oilers and a bad trade for the Islanders is insane.

Time will tell, but Strome is who he is, I don't expect to him ever become a 30 goal 50 assist player I hoped he would become when the Isles drafted him. At best he is a 15-20 goal scorer who might get you 20-30 assists. He's not a special player. Reminds me of Josh Bailey, who took till age 28 to have his best season. And it took being placed on Tavares' line to have his best season. In fact, Tavares makes every mediocre player better when placed on his line. Moulson was a career minor leaguer, became a 30 goal scorer when paired with Tavares. PA Parenteau, career minor leaguer, had his best seasons teamed with Tavares. Anders Lee scored 34 goals when put on Tavares' line. Eberle will be on Tavares' line. He's more talented than all the guys mentioned.

Last edited:

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Strome is faster ? Have you ever watched him play, let alone skate ? In Strome's last 140 games he's scored 21 goals 37 assists for 58 points. Eberle had a HORRIBLE season last year (according to most) and scored 20 goals and 31 assists for 51 points in 82 games. Which, by the way, was good enough for 3rd in assists and points on the Oilers last year. Anyone who thinks this was a GREAT trade for the Oilers and a bad trade for the Islanders is insane.

Time will tell, but Strome is who he is, I don't expect to him ever become a 30 goal 50 assist player I hoped he would become when the Isles drafted him. At best he is a 15-20 goal scorer who might get you 20-30 assists. He's not a special player. Reminds me of Josh Bailey, who took till age 28 to have his best season. And it took being placed on Tavares' line to have his best season. In fact, Tavares makes every mediocre player better when placed on his line. Moulson was a career minor leaguer, became a 30 goal scorer when paired with Tavares. PA Parenteau, career minor leaguer, had his best seasons teamed with Tavares. Anders Lee scored 34 goals when put on Tavares' line. Eberle will be on Tavares' line. He's more talented than all the guys mentioned.

I don't think there are any oiler fans who will disagree with you about eberle having a good year with tavares. The concern oiler fans had was his disappearance last year. He had 20 goals but 4 came in the last 2 games vs a canuck team trying to lose.

there were almost no games last year where eberle made a difference. He put up some points but primarily against non playoff teams and was rarely one of the 3 stars of any game. Not enough for 6 million dollars

without those two garbage games, his 16 goals puts him at 144th in the league. If he had any other dimension to his game, that might be acceptable but he does not. He will not hit, not fight, not intimidate, not inspire, not defend. His one and only skill is goal scoring and he did not do that last year.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
If you don't think a new coach, new system, new teammates, and upcoming new contract push can revitalize a talented player, then I guess Eberle is a washed up 27 year old.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'd say it's a solid trade for both teams. Both players have talent but seemed to be regressing with their former teams. I like seeing teams try something instead of just letting a player flounder.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009

I think you would find it interesting the primary assists from JT to Lee on those 34 goals.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Eberle was replaced by Mark Letestu on the #1PP this season because the play was dying on his stick every time he touched it.

Strome was injured and benched last season, but that doesn't mean that he will be the same player, and get the same treatment, with Edmonton.

each team has different dynamics, and i figure that each team will benefit from this trade. but i am somewhat of an optimist, and i like to see trades work out for both teams.

Oilyveins97*

Jun 11, 2017
Manitoba
Strome was injured and benched last season, but that doesn't mean that he will be the same player, and get the same treatment, with Edmonton.

each team has different dynamics, and i figure that each team will benefit from this trade. but i am somewhat of an optimist, and i like to see trades work out for both teams.

Eberle was benched quite often last year as well :laugh:

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
If Strome puts up more than 2 assists in 13 playoff games and doesn't completely disappear against difficult teams, I'll be a happy boy

mintmint

May 6, 2017
Hey islander fans. Eberle is gonna suck. Yeah. He might get 50 points. Somehow he seems to still get points.

But you'll soon realize just how useless he is because he ain't the goal scorer he was. He doesn't add any value otherwise and oh yeah he sucks on defense too.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Hey islander fans. Eberle is gonna suck. Yeah. He might get 50 points. Somehow he seems to still get points.

But you'll soon realize just how useless he is because he ain't the goal scorer he was. He doesn't add any value otherwise and oh yeah he sucks on defense too.

Thank you for sharing. We are aware.

Islander fans are hoping Strome turns it around in EDM.

He has great vision and a sneaking shot. Needs to be better in dirty areas, but still has the potential to be a strong 2nd liner.

mintmint

May 6, 2017
Thank you for sharing. We are aware.

Islander fans are hoping Strome turns it around in EDM.

He has great vision and a sneaking shot. Needs to be better in dirty areas, but still has the potential to be a strong 2nd liner.

This trade is a lose lose for both teams.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
It's not a lose lose.

Eberle isn't as bad as oiler fans say, and I refuse to believe strome is as bad as islander fans say.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
If you don't think a new coach, new system, new teammates, and upcoming new contract push can revitalize a talented player, then I guess Eberle is a washed up 27 year old.

It's like Yakupov at this point, is what we're trying to tell you. It's his game, not the system that is the problem.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
The thing I'm curious about is I keep seeing people talk about Eberle w/ Tavares, but the 1st line of Lee/JT/Bailey was terrific last year and we had no secondary scoring, so I'd think it makes more sense to put Eberle on the 2nd line.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The thing I'm curious about is I keep seeing people talk about Eberle w/ Tavares, but the 1st line of Lee/JT/Bailey was terrific last year and we had no secondary scoring, so I'd think it makes more sense to put Eberle on the 2nd line.

Was it though? JT had one of his worst offensive seasons last year. He may have posted those numbers despite carrying Bailey.

I think while Edmonton gave up some skill in this deal, both of these guys are going to teams where they're better fits. I wouldn't be surprised if both of them exceeded expectations.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

But other than that he's great.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Was it though? JT had one of his worst offensive seasons last year. He may have posted those numbers despite carrying Bailey.

I think while Edmonton gave up some skill in this deal, both of these guys are going to teams where they're better fits. I wouldn't be surprised if both of them exceeded expectations.

I think Bailey will be part of the package that lands Duchene or similar.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't think this deal is bad for either team.

For the Islanders, they get Eberle who needs a change of scenery. I think Eberle a fresh start for Eberle could really jump start him and see him revert back to the Eberle that will score 25 goals and 60 points.

For the Oilers, they got a good young forward that I feel is on the verge of breaking out. I think he will match the production Eberle had last season if he gets a chance in the top 6, all while saving the Oilers a bunch of Eberle's cap hit.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't think this deal is bad for either team.

For the Islanders, they get Eberle who needs a change of scenery. I think Eberle a fresh start for Eberle could really jump start him and see him revert back to the Eberle that will score 25 goals and 60 points.

For the Oilers, they got a good young forward that I feel is on the verge of breaking out. I think he will match the production Eberle had last season if he gets a chance in the top 6, all while saving the Oilers a bunch of Eberle's cap hit.

Honestly I see the same. Strome is going to get an opportunity to play with a skilled center and McLellan's going to see what he's capable of doing. Eberle's going to get the opportunity to be a primary point producer with to line PP again. I would be shocked to see a decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad