Confirmed Trade: [EDM/NYI] Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Honestly I see the same. Strome is going to get an opportunity to play with a skilled center and McLellan's going to see what he's capable of doing. Eberle's going to get the opportunity to be a primary point producer with to line PP again. I would be shocked to see a decline.
Agreed. I don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be, well I don't think it's bad at all, lol. I just feel like much of the outrage is people had unrealistic expectations for a return on Eberle.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Ryan Strome isn't Griffin Reinhart and isn't remotely close to being the level of bust Griffin is.

Ryan is an established NHL player, who didn't develop as expected mostly due to Capuano's crappy coaching.

Best case scenario is that he becomes the next Kyle Turris. Turris looked HORRIBLE in Phoenix, significantly worse numbers than Strome if you compare the two. Gets traded to Ottawa and finds a consistent game.

Again, that's the best case scenario but it's certainly possible.

mintmint

May 6, 2017
Ryan Strome isn't Griffin Reinhart and isn't remotely close to being the level of bust Griffin is.

Ryan is an established NHL player, who didn't develop as expected mostly due to Capuano's crappy coaching.

Best case scenario is that he becomes the next Kyle Turris. Turris looked HORRIBLE in Phoenix, significantly worse numbers than Strome if you compare the two. Gets traded to Ottawa and finds a consistent game.

Lool. Reaching for the stars is fun isn't it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Strome can learn to get his ass to scoring areas and get the puck off his stick fast, he can have success with McDavid or Draisaitl. No one is asking you to carry the play, just play off better players and cash the damn biscuit when they gift wrap it for you. Patrick Maroon does this well.

Eberle's problem is he wanted to hold onto the puck for freaking forever and has an awful one timer.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If Strome can learn to get his ass to scoring areas and get the puck off his stick fast, he can have success with McDavid or Draisaitl. No one is asking you to carry the play, just play off better players and cash the damn biscuit when they gift wrap it for you. Patrick Maroon does this well.

Eberle's problem is he wanted to hold onto the puck for freaking forever and has an awful one timer.

Yep. And Eberle didn't do himself any favors when he stopped driving the net as often after Jack Johnson knocked his block off. Regardless he always finds a way to score points in bunches.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Strome has not been good for good two seasons. It would require quite the turnaround for this trade to even be passable.

All I want to see is consistent give a damn and according to you guys that's where he struggles most.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Good to hear from Oilers fans that Eberle has been garbage all along :laugh:

My bet is he is going to outscore Strome by a fair margin though

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I don't think there are any oiler fans who will disagree with you about eberle having a good year with tavares. The concern oiler fans had was his disappearance last year. He had 20 goals but 4 came in the last 2 games vs a canuck team trying to lose.

there were almost no games last year where eberle made a difference. He put up some points but primarily against non playoff teams and was rarely one of the 3 stars of any game. Not enough for 6 million dollars

without those two garbage games, his 16 goals puts him at 144th in the league. If he had any other dimension to his game, that might be acceptable but he does not. He will not hit, not fight, not intimidate, not inspire, not defend. His one and only skill is goal scoring and he did not do that last year.

I think he will come out fired up with a chip on his shoulders the first couple of months. After that though it could get ugly. Our club is already feeble vs physical teams and Eberle is a step in the wrong direction there. And we lost Hamonic who was one of the very few who would stand up for his team mates or just simply play a physical game. Two different positions but still, we added a softy and subtracted a hard body when we already were working on the Smurfs.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Good to hear from Oilers fans that Eberle has been garbage all along :laugh:

My bet is he is going to outscore Strome by a fair margin though

Forget Strome in all of this. He is a reclamation project. This was all about the Islanders trading 6 million in Cap space for JT's friend on The oilers in the hope Tavares won't realize how pathetic this organization has been for years trying and failing miserably to get anyone of value next to him, and primarily because Wang went cheap until he finally had two buyers for the club.

Strome had almost zero trade currency because our lovely GM, and his BFF coach wrecked him. Truly, I see people trying to compare this as Strome vs Eberle.... They couldn't be more wrong than some guy searching the Sahara for the Titanic.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
It's like Yakupov at this point, is what we're trying to tell you. It's his game, not the system that is the problem.
Exact same crap was said about Schultz from Oiler fans another one they ran out of town with hate. I think Eberle will be right back to his 65 point self along side Tavares. I think Oilers will be happy with Strome getting 45-55 pts.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I think Strome is going to bounce back in a major way this season.

I know he was projected to be a top-6 offensive playmaker but I think he has enough mean streak to be a 3rd Line center, especially if his defensive play matures. Not what you want from a 5OA but it does make EDM crazy deep down the middle.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
All I want out of Strome is chemistry with either McDavid or Draisaitl. If he can click with one or both he can put up a ~45-50 pt season which is great value for a 2.5M cap hit.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
All I want out of Strome is chemistry with either McDavid or Draisaitl. If he can click with one or both he can put up a ~45-50 pt season which is great value for a 2.5M cap hit.

There is a good player in there but his confidence is crushed flat. Get that back up and you will get at least a 50 pt player out of him. The real trick IMO is getting him back into center which I don't see your team doing any time soon.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Strome has not been good for good two seasons. It would require quite the turnaround for this trade to even be passable.

All I want to see is consistent give a damn and according to you guys that's where he struggles most.

Ryan Strome was scared to death of making a mistake and getting benched. He's at his best when he's free wheeling, playing loose.... holding onto the puck that extra second before getting the shot/pass off. When he's off his game he handles the puck like it has AIDS.

He's going to make mistakes though, he was prone to taking bad penalties and coughing up the puck at the blue line. The coach can either ride the player for it (causing the problems Strome had under Capuano), or chalk it up to a kid learning the game and let the process take care of itself through experience. I personally think he should have spent more time in the AHL.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I don't think his issue is not caring - not at all. Too often when a player struggles fans attribute it to a lack of effort because that's easiest - if only he'd simply try harder, he'd play better. I honestly can't say for sure what his biggest problems are. He definitely needs to go to the greasy areas more often but he's not a grinder and that's obviously not his core game. I think he just needs to build his confidence and I wouldn't be surprised if playing with McD or LD does that for him - as well as the simple change of scenery.

All things equal, I would have stuck it out with Strome another season.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Exact same crap was said about Schultz from Oiler fans another one they ran out of town with hate.
Its not even 'crap'. Its so much worse than that. Mentioning Eberle and Yakupov in the same sentence shows a lack of basic hockey knowledge that is staggering.
You would think someone that clueless about the game would avoid advertising it, but apparently not. :laugh:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Eberle is playing better this year. His feelings were hurt and he has a chip on his shoulder. Too bad he never played that way here.

But....

Strome: 3-7-10 -2. Little to no PP playing time. Put in to a checking role. Engages physically. Age 24 2.5 million

Eberle: 7-7-14 -1. Prime top six minutes. Prime power play time. Avoids contact. Age 27 6.0 million

It is laughable to even consider taking Eberle back. Every one that is yelling from the roof tops that Chia was ripped off is full of ****.​

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Strome had a tough start here - he doesn't seem to be a guy that responds well to being bounced around the lineup.

Since he's settled in at 3C (he doesn't look good on the wing at all) and gotten a consistent linemate in Puljujarvi he's looked much better.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Eberle is playing better this year. His feelings were hurt and he has a chip on his shoulder. Too bad he never played that way here.

But....

Strome: 3-7-10 -2. Little to no PP playing time. Put in to a checking role. Engages physically. Age 24 2.5 million

Eberle: 7-7-14 -1. Prime top six minutes. Prime power play time. Avoids contact. Age 27 6.0 million

It is laughable to even consider taking Eberle back. Every one that is yelling from the roof tops that Chia was ripped off is full of ****.​

Strome actually has more PP points on the season than Eberle, so I'm not sure where you're getting the "no PP playing time" thing from. Difference in ATOI (Eberle = 16:03, Strome = 14:38) doesn't really help your argument either. The difference in ice time between a 2nd liner and 3rd liner isn't exactly a canyon.

Strome is an extremely streaky player, I notice he's put up 5 points in the past 6 games. He'll also have stretches where he scores 1-2 points over a period of 9-10 games and feel invisible. But yes, he'll absolutely go on hot streaks from time to time, so you can make threads about how it's "laughable" to say the Oilers lost the trade.

Eberle's true value to the Islanders right now isn't in the amount of points he's putting up, it's helping mold Barzal into a legit NHL superstar with the chemistry these two have developed. If Weight wanted to force Eberle into playing on the Lee-Tavares line, he'd probably be a lot closer to Bailey's 26 points than 14, but it's more important to finally have two legit scoring lines. We're now fourth in the NHL in goals scored, and capable of putting up 5 goals against any team on any night.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Strome actually has more PP points on the season than Eberle, so I'm not sure where you're getting the "no PP playing time" thing from. Difference in ATOI (Eberle = 16:03, Strome = 14:38) doesn't really help your argument either. The difference in ice time between a 2nd liner and 3rd liner isn't exactly a canyon.

Strome is an extremely streaky player, I notice he's put up 5 points in the past 6 games. He'll also have stretches where he scores 1-2 points over a period of 9-10 games and feel invisible. But yes, he'll absolutely go on hot streaks from time to time, so you can make threads about how it's "laughable" to say the Oilers lost the trade.

Eberle's true value to the Islanders right now isn't in the amount of points he's putting up, it's helping mold Barzal into a legit NHL superstar with the chemistry these two have developed. If Weight wanted to force Eberle into playing on the Lee-Tavares line, he'd probably be a lot closer to Bailey's 26 points than 14, but it's more important to finally have two legit scoring lines. We're now fourth in the NHL in goals scored, and capable of putting up 5 goals against any team on any night.
Eberle is pretty streaky as well but he has longer and more impactful streaks which is the mjaor difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad