Confirmed Trade: [EDM/NYI] Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm seeing a lot of Capuano messed up Strome and he can return to a 50 pt scorer.

Then Eberle has been crap and regressing for the past two years.

Anyone notice that McLellan has been the coach for two years,maybe he and Eberle are oil and water so to speak.

Im thinking Eberle will be great in NY.

I don't think McLellan had much to do with it.

Eberle just didn't work with McDavid, so he was moved away from him at 5v5 and on the PP pretty quickly.

He and RNH disappeared without Hall carrying the offense on that line. Neither of them could get the puck through the neutral zone if their life depended on it.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thought Edmonton would have got more for Eberle than Strome. Oh well at least they got cap relief for the team to sign Mcdavid and Draisatl.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I think it's a trade that will benefit both teams.

Eberle time was done in Edmonton and he would be great with Tavares i believe.

Ryan Strome is still legit and he could find his way back in Edmonton.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Just woke up from a 7 year coma. Were the Jackets ever able to convince Edmonton to trade them Eberle in exchange for Ryan Johansen?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
30 th in scoring since he 1st joined league including rookie year Lead Oilers in scoring 3 seasons top 6 in scoring for all RW since joining league . Since when does that not qualify as a 1st line winger. I sometimes wonder if posters in here even understand the NHL http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/last-7-nhl-seasons-players-stats.html

Mike Ribeiro was 19th in points from '04 - '13

Would you want him as your #1C?

Eberle had 0 goals, just 2 assists, and was -6 in 13 playoff games this year

There's no way I'm paying that guy 6 million a season

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Mike Ribeiro was 19th in points from '04 - '13

Would you want him as your #1C?

Eberle had 0 goals, just 2 assists, and was -6 in 13 playoff games this year

There's no way I'm paying that guy 6 million a season
In 2008? Yes.

The idea of ignoring someone's career production and claiming 13 games against two teams is more significant is laughable.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Just woke up from a 7 year coma. Were the Jackets ever able to convince Edmonton to trade them Eberle in exchange for Ryan Johansen?

things change.. 7 yrs ago Strome went 5th overall to Islanders and in these 7 yrs Eberle has scored 150 goals.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
If it's not horrible now, when was it?

Maybe it was horrible for the Oilers and just fine for the Islanders? :sarcasm:

It was horrible when there were 4 or 5 years remaining on an increasingly disappointing player. Now it's only a 2 year contract, less risk, regardless of which team.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
I think it's a trade that will benefit both teams.

Eberle time was done in Edmonton and he would be great with Tavares i believe.

Ryan Strome is still legit and he could find his way back in Edmonton.

I agree with this. I think Eberle could be a great fit on the wing with JT. They had a ridiculous run in the WJC together, albeit eons ago. 28 combined points in 6 games.

Stromer was horribly mismanaged by Capuano for years. Healthy scratch for guys like bernier and whatnot after playing pretty well. Buried in non-offensive situations. He does have a tendency to hold onto to puck a bit too much, but in the right situation I can see him playing well. He played well once crapuano got canned.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I agree with this. I think Eberle could be a great fit on the wing with JT. They had a ridiculous run in the WJC together, albeit eons ago. 28 combined points in 6 games.

Stromer was horribly mismanaged by Capuano for years. Healthy scratch for guys like bernier and whatnot after playing pretty well. Buried in non-offensive situations. He does have a tendency to hold onto to puck a bit too much, but in the right situation I can see him playing well. He played well once crapuano got canned.

Eberle was on a line with Hodgson and Boychuk, Tavares had Didomenico and Esposito as his wingers at ES. They were on the PP together though. That famous goal, Tavares the the extra attacker with the goalie pulled so that's why they were on the ice together.

They have some experience from the WC too.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
hope eberle hits the gym and adds some strength. a light breeze knocked him off the puck. when a 20 year old mcdsvid is stronger along the boards then a 27 year old you have issues. considering they are similar in weight and size.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I don't think McLellan had much to do with it.

Eberle just didn't work with McDavid, so he was moved away from him at 5v5 and on the PP pretty quickly.

He and RNH disappeared without Hall carrying the offense on that line. Neither of them could get the puck through the neutral zone if their life depended on it.

That's not what I saw... what I saw was:

1) Two years ago Pouliot - RNH - Eberle was our best line. And RNH was the driver
2) Enter McDavid and RNH (and others, but especially RNH) are asked to start taking on vet-like, defensive focused roles... the message is finally sinking in
3) Ebs gets his extended audition with McD and after initial synergy in 2016, this year he and McD can't mesh... mostly Ebs is snake-bit at first, then it affects his confidence and the wheels fall off
4) Meanwhile, Drai is driving a line on his own and RNH has been pushed further into a defensive checking role... now instead of carrying the blue line, penetrating the first D and then passing off, he has "matured" to the point that he gains the line, jams the breaks (every time) and only makes a penetrating pass about 20% of the time,,, the rest of the time it is button-hook and pass back to the D or into the corner to start the cycle.

My point: I think this was all a matter of team dynamics, guys adjusting to new roles, listening to coaching and overcompensating a bit.... plus in Eberle's case, an intense desire to mesh with a generational player which led to complete loss of confidence.

NYI is going to love a "fresh start" Eberle... and we lost this trade.

mintmint

May 6, 2017
Eberle is completely useless if he doesn't put up points. And he doesn't. And I doubt that will change with NY. the guy is so complacent with mediocrity Edmonton couldn't ship him out any faster.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Eberle is completely useless if he doesn't put up points. And he doesn't. And I doubt that will change with NY. the guy is so complacent with mediocrity Edmonton couldn't ship him out any faster.

Much like defensive players that don't play good defense. It's always amazed me at the bias against offensive centric players that don't score but guys who don't even try to score get patted on the ass.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

He doesn't? 50 points this year in his worst year to date. I think it is obvious that he knew he was done in Edmonton and he lost some motivation. That isn't an excuse, I don't like it when guys do that, but going to a new team could and should absolutley re-energize him. He'll get closer to his 65 point standard next year for the Islanders than the 50 points he had this year for Edmonton.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Eberle was on a line with Hodgson and Boychuk, Tavares had Didomenico and Esposito as his wingers at ES. They were on the PP together though. That famous goal, Tavares the the extra attacker with the goalie pulled so that's why they were on the ice together.

They have some experience from the WC too.

Ah my apologies. That's a long time ago for an old man like me to recall.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Good on Edmonton for finally moving on from Eberle. They should've three years ago. The return doesn't matter - just getting him away from another group of kids. Talented for sure - but don't think there's a player in the NHL that seems more concerned with making the TSN hi-light reel package than doing the work to win an NHL hockey game.
How many times have Oil fans watched him turn the puck over on the blue line trying to deke out three guys and watched the puck go the other way. Works once every 20 times and people ooh and aah over it.

I understand The Isle side of it, for sure. Give Tavares another weapon and if on the same line possibly develop some chemistry. Hopes it works for JT. Just very frustrated with Eberle.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

except he does put up points, 50+ and career .75ppg player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad