Confirmed Trade: [EDM/NYI] Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
ya there team is a huge mess right now. god awful to be a oilers fan right now

We're used to it, so don't worry about us. ;)

This trade had good potential to be a win-win for both. Strome has had a slow start, but he seems to be coming around. Still could end up that way. Too early to declare anything just after around 20 games played or so. The salary we saved so we could more easily extend Connor and Drai long-term also has inherent value, as well as the cap space we have to add a player for a Cup run should we be in or near a playoff position come TDL time.

I wouldn't take this trade back, and for more than a few years Eberle was by far my favorite player. I'm actually happy he's doing well, as he still has a soft spot in my heart. I know he can be a very good player when he wants to be. It's the 'when he wants to be' that is the kicker. I predict next season he'll score 65+ points as it's a contract year, so there's some extra motivation for him. ;)
Hope he does it.

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
eberle > strome always. your gm is just dumb

It is what it is. It's also dumb to declare any victory for either side regarding this trade just after 20 or so games. Chia seems pretty dumb somtimes, yeah. What do you want me/us to do about that?

Last edited:

yangmang

Sep 28, 2006
It is what it is. It's also dumb to declare any victory for either side regarding this trade just after 20 or so games. Chia seems pretty dumb, yeah. What do you want me/us to do about that?
fire the gm i mean how can you let a gm stay after so many bad decisions. oilers get 1st picks and still stuck. they make playofffs and next season suck again

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
fire the gm i mean how can you let a gm stay after so many bad decisions. oilers get 1st picks and still stuck. they make playofffs and next season suck again

I can't fire the GM, I'm sorry. I don't have that power, and neither do us fans. Many Oiler fans pushed HARD to get Lowe fired in the past when he was just as brutal (much worse, in fact), and Katz wouldn't budge. So yeah, not much we can do about that except hope for change. Can you help us pray for the change to happen? You seem very concerned, so I'm sure you'd help us with this. Please pray with us every night for us to get the best GM in league! Help us!!!

Last edited:

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Do you really not understand what he's getting at?
I understand how he's trying to spin this, I just think it's a complete cop-out

It is what it is. It's also dumb to declare any victory for either side regarding this trade just after 20 or so games.

Maybe in general, but Strome has been trending into nothingness for a while, and Eberle has spent most of his career at 25+ goals. That's a trade I feel perfectly comfortable assessing based on available information. Best case scenario you just traded Ebs for Brandon Sutter.

Reactions: Benedict Kovalchuk

yangmang

Sep 28, 2006
I can't fire the GM, I'm sorry. I don't have that power, and neither do us fans. Many Oiler fans pushed HARD to get Lowe fired in the past when he was just as brutal, and Katz wouldn't budge. So yeah, not much we can do about that except hope for change. Can you help us pray for the change to happen? You seem very concerned, so I'm sure you'd help us with this. Please pray with us every night for the best GM in league! Help us!!!
sorry i cant help mcjesus is ur savior so hes the guy to ask for. i dont think oilers will win the cup with mcdavid especially his 12.5 cap hit and its too much

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
You honestly think that Chiarelli didn't take the best offer he received?

I agree with you... Obviously Chia took the best return he was offered. Now having said that, maybe he was offered a better player, but maybe it was a bigger contract and longer than just the 1 year remaining on Strome's deal. IMO teams obviously know that type of stuff so they probably sent tons of lowball offers. Its all about cap space!!!

McDavid's massive extension hits next year so they have to prepare for that.

I find it funny though now that Eberle is playing well in NYI, rival fans are acting like he was this huge hot commodity always... he got trash talked non stop and many people thought Oils would never get a any type of decent return for him

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

Maybe in general, but Strome has been trending into nothingness for a while, and Eberle has spent most of his career at 25+ goals. That's a trade I feel perfectly comfortable assessing based on available information. Best case scenario you just traded Ebs for Brandon Sutter.

And the trade facilitated the cap space to sign our two best players for the longest term possible. But I guess that has no value somehow.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
BINGO... its shocking people don't realize this was a MAJOR reason

Yep. Not to mention there was a legitimate risk of a GM of some team (looking at you, Bergevin) giving Drai an offer-sheet that we'd be forced to match (or couldn't match), and maybe it'd only be for 5 seasons or hugely front loaded when Connor's new extension starts or do whatever in the hopes of making the contract 'poisonous' to us, or even untenable. It was actually a smart move by Chia. I'm not much of a fan of his, but moving Eberle was absolutely the right move; he hadn't been playing well for us for a few seasons; he had 'checked out' as they say. Glad he's doing well for the NYI; he wasn't doing it for us, and that's really the only relevant aspect to us, and his large salary. Oh, and fending off offer-sheets to Drai so we could sign him for 8 seasons -- even if we over-paid by 1m or so, I'm MUCH happier to have him on the team for that instead of compensatory picks. Yuck. We've had enough picks during the 'dark years' and we know they don't magically or necessarily improve your team -- especially not in short order, typically.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No GM thinks they're taking a bad deal but fact is Chiraelli's had other options and his evaluation skills look to be terrible.

Chiarelli inherited an awesome situation with Drai having just been drafted and McDavid about to be drafted but he's been an awful GM for the Oilers so far.
What other options did Chiarelli have? Trust me, I followed the talk closely, and there were only a couple of teams rumored to have much interest, and all talk was that Eberle wasn't going to fetch us much in return.

By the way, with Eberle on the books we couldn't have signed both Drai and McDavid to their extensions. We had to trade him. For cap reasons, because he wanted out thanks to our fickle fans and media, and because he wasn't producing for us. He wasn't valued highly. Unless you know something nobody else does about an offer he received that nobody else has heard, I think you are out to lunch.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Spin it? Does no one read around here.

Strome is more valuable now than the floating Eberle.

Eberle is the highest paid player on the Islanders and he is sixth in points. Strome is one of the lowest paid and is in the same position.

Some peoples' Oiler hate really clouds any semblance of rationality.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
No you can't, because you don't know what Eberle would be doing for Edmonton if he stayed. Judging by the last two seasons, he wouldn't be doing much more than Strome was and we would be paying 6 million for it.

Ummm hate to break it to you but last 2 seasons eberle is scoring at a 53 point pace while strome is at about 33. Unless you just think 20 points isnt a big difference

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Somehow the Oilers had to rid themselves of Eberle's 6m contract, if not this year, next year. The 3.5m difference in salary, might be less next year, still the trade was made partly for cap relief. So it might be unfair just to compare scoring stats.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Ummm hate to break it to you but last 2 seasons eberle is scoring at a 53 point pace while strome is at about 33. Unless you just think 20 points isnt a big difference

What in the world does the last two seasons have to do with it. This year is all that matters.

Maybe I can cherry pick so as to tweak the numbers in Strome's favour.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
What in the world does the last two seasons have to do with it. This year is all that matters.

It's relevant as a predictive tool, just like point totals already scored this season.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Eberle was scoring at 53 point pace, but was disinterested, disengaged, and wanted out of Edmonton. He was a negative influence on the ice. Strome might be the same, but I'll take a floating 3 million dollar 30 point player over a floating 50 point 6 million dollar player. I love Eberle, but his time here had run its course, we had to move him and there wasn't any interest around the league.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

well sir, maybe if you read the post i replied to youd understand why i brought up the last two seasons. Fortunately, I don't need to cherry pick to turn this in eberles favor because strome is a terrible player while eberle is a top 6 winger. Maybe get an idea of the context next time before jumping on my reply, may help you look less silly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad