Confirmed Trade: [EDM/NJD] Dmitry Kulikov for 2022 cond. 3rd/4th round pick

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Massive miss here for oil town. They had a chance to upgrade and failed miserably. Wonder how long before mcdavid pulls the pin there. If they draw Toronto or Winn its one and done first round . Not good enough from the Oilers

Right, the expectation is suddenly that we need to be beat WPG/TOR, when we couldn't even beat CHI last year? This post seems like a massive miss.

Reactions: Calypso

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Smart value shopping for a team still in Chiarelli cap handcuffs. Solid stabilizer for a young left side d-group and look forward to a hopeful shutdown pairing with Larsson whose had a great year.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Massive miss here for oil town. They had a chance to upgrade and failed miserably. Wonder how long before mcdavid pulls the pin there. If they draw Toronto or Winn its one and done first round . Not good enough from the Oilers

Winnipeg is the most likely candidate? What's the Oilers record vs Winnipeg this year? And when they played Toronto wht has been the biggest issue the team has had?

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
Please explain how we had a chance to upgrade with little to no cap space and very few picks this year?

Reactions: Former Referee 68

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
How did we have a chance to upgrade when he had no picks to trade and no cap space? Nice try. Don't ever try again. Ultimate fail

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Winnipeg is the most likely candidate? What's the Oilers record vs Winnipeg this year? And when they played Toronto wht has been the biggest issue the team has had?

Edmonton is 4-2 against the Jets so far. Edmonton matches up well against a team that wants to trade offensive chances.

It seems to me both the Habs and the Leafs have figured out how to play the Oilers and can neutralize their speed and limit attacks on the rush. Until the jets figure that out they'll be in tough when playing vs McDavid, Draisaitl and co.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Wimm
Toronto or Winnipeg easily out lasts Edmonton. Mcdavid steals a game or two but its over for another year

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Edmonton is 4-2 against the Jets so far. Edmonton matches up well against a team that wants to trade offensive chances.

It seems to me both the Habs and the Leafs have figured out how to play the Oilers and can neutralize their speed and limit attacks on the rush. Until the jets figure that out they'll be in tough when playing vs McDavid, Draisaitl and co.

I actually knew the answer to this question before asking, but most people don't even bother to look at such things before they post.

I agree that right now the Habs and Leafs to a lesser degree have had success. Both use a fair bit of interference and a little hold here and there but not so blantatly to draw penalties. Both teams have been very successful in pressuring the Oiler's smaller defensemen by hounding them in their own end. Kulikov is probably going to handle this better than guys like Bear, Russell, Jones and Barrie. Larsson for example is a +1 vs Montreal and is even vs Toronto. Barrie is a -4 vs both teams. At this stage of his career Kulikov is more like Larsson than the others. So while he is not a high impact defender I think he will be a better option against a team like the Leafs than Jones.

What is not well understood is that pp's actualy go up in the playoffs despite what people think. So it is not so clear that these same tactics will translate to teh post season.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
How did we have a chance to upgrade when he had no picks to trade and no cap space? Nice try. Don't ever try again. Ultimate fail
Please... pathetic. So every other team managed to find a way ... they didn't upgrade cause they knew in reality there are not there yet. Toronto got better . Montreal got better. Winnipeg kept pace... perfect time to find a winger or even take a chance on one .. major fail and it will show.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Toronto or Winnipeg easily out lasts Edmonton. Mcdavid steals a game or two but its over for another year

There is definitely an issue if we somehow face the Leafs in the first round. No question they have owned us all year. But Winnipeg? We match up quite nicely against them, reflected by our record heads up this season. Sure, we didn't do much to upgrade our roster, but what precisely did they do that has you so convinced we'd be lucky to "steal a game or two." They have more talent overall up front, but we have the top 2 players and it seems to have worked out in our favour. Also, for whatever reason, Nuge seems to show up more consistently against the Jets (27pts in 25 games over his career). Nurse also has some pretty shiny career numbers (20GP 4-10-14 +10).

But please do continue talking out your arse, we need more of that on HF.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Please explain how we had a chance to upgrade with little to no cap space and very few picks this year?

why do we have no picks or space, I wonder...

upload_2021-4-13_14-36-33.jpeg

Seriously though I understand not jumping in feet first this year. I don't agree with it, but i get it. This offseason/next year, though, I'm hoping that if things don't go as we need them to, ie a huge jump towards legitimate contention, the ones defending Holland until they're blue in the face remember these conversations.

Last edited:

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
Toronto did. Vegas did pitt did. Tampa did....etc..

Oilers are not in a position like Toronto, Pittsburgh, Vegas, Tampa etc Oilers are more than one or two pieces away from competing for the cup. How much wasted cap does each of those teams have compared to the Oilers? We need goaltending, depth scoring, top-six winger and probably depth on the back as well not one or two pieces.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Toronto did. Vegas did pitt did. Tampa did....etc..
It isn't time for that from Edmonton yet. We need to upgrade too many parts. We'll improve our goaltending (long term) this summer. We should be able to find a couple of top six forwards. There will be a number of bottom six options for cheap again. As long as Holland targets the right pieces, we will be further ahead at the start of next year than we are now. And yes, I worry about him targeting the right pieces, but there wasn't a way to get all of the different pieces we need this off season.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Oilers are not in a position like Toronto, Pittsburgh, Vegas, Tampa etc Oilers are more than one or two pieces away from competing for the cup. How much wasted cap does each of those teams have compared to the Oilers? We need goaltending, depth scoring, top-six winger and probably depth on the back as well not one or two pieces.
I disagree. We are getting goaltending for one. It's a great reason why going for it would have been good. And yes, we have a lot of holes still. Maybe that's a good reason to hold for now. However, I and many others see that with one other top six LW, it changes the forward group drastically. That would allow us to put RNH with Draisaitl again for one (and Yamamoto), and in general opens up possibilities to mix things up in the bottom six as well.

It was the one major move we could have done. But yes, this Kulikov move was a good one. We've given time to Jones/Lagesson and they haven't grabbed that spot.

I consider what Holland did as minimal. It could work out for the best if Kulikov works out and Tippett can find some new chemistry in the forward core somehow

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I disagree. We are getting goaltending for one. It's a great reason why going for it would have been good. And yes, we have a lot of holes still. Maybe that's a good reason to hold for now. However, I and many others see that with one other top six LW, it changes the forward group drastically. That would allow us to put RNH with Draisaitl again for one (and Yamamoto), and in general opens up possibilities to mix things up in the bottom six as well.

It was the one major move we could have done. But yes, this Kulikov move was a good one. We've given time to Jones/Lagesson and they haven't grabbed that spot.

I consider what Holland did as minimal. It could work out for the best if Kulikov works out and Tippett can find some new chemistry in the forward core somehow

Why are tou expecting Lagesson to be a worldbeater??

I think
Nurse Barrie
Kulikov Bear
Lagesson Larsson

Is a decent setup.

I miss a LW thoooough.
Throw in Turris with McDavid for a night, and see if he is an offensive player as he says. He surely have offensive happonesd and had pffensive IQ. If its in there, he could play with mcJesus.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Why are tou expecting Lagesson to be a worldbeater??

I think
Nurse Barrie
Kulikov Bear
Lagesson Larsson

Is a decent setup.

I miss a LW thoooough.
Throw in Turris with McDavid for a night, and see if he is an offensive player as he says. He surely have offensive happonesd and had pffensive IQ. If its in there, he could play with mcJesus.
I didn't believe that at the start of the season, but Lagesson had a bunch of great games before his injury. Since then, he's showed more warts. I think his step back, along with Jones' was the main reason for the Kulikov trade. We also have Koekkoek returning at some point. In general, we will have a D that limits the damage 5 on 5, moreso than one that pushes the play. A good stepping stone for now.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Vegas did? They got... Janmark?

Either way, you need to quit while you're miles behind. You're not even trying anymore.
Absolutely they did!!!! You realize Vegas is already a better team right??? So a better team added another piece...... your logic is gone...teams on the vegre ,roll the dice even the best ones. The simple fact is Toronto got better , much better ...Winnipeg was already deeper and better and the habs got better .... where does that leave the Oilers?? Well if you need someone to show or tell you how this is gonna play out , you might not know hockey too well...even the games best 2 offensive players won't rescue this

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
It isn't time for that from Edmonton yet. We need to upgrade too many parts. We'll improve our goaltending (long term) this summer. We should be able to find a couple of top six forwards. There will be a number of bottom six options for cheap again. As long as Holland targets the right pieces, we will be further ahead at the start of next year than we are now. And yes, I worry about him targeting the right pieces, but there wasn't a way to get all of the different pieces we need this off season.
This i agree with .... they are NOT ready. This is what I said. How much longer of not being ready will mcdavid handle is the ¿¿

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00