This kinda sums it up best !!!!!hahah

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210414-075047_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210414-075047_Facebook.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 37

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This i agree with .... they are NOT ready. This is what I said. How much longer of not being ready will mcdavid handle is the ¿¿
Probably up until he is a free agent. If it doesn't turn around, he will leave I expect. This summer is the best time to turn things around though. Finally have some cap space to deal with. It all depends on what Holland does with it.

Reactions: voxel and TFHockey

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Absolutely they did!!!! You realize Vegas is already a better team right??? So a better team added another piece...... your logic is gone...teams on the vegre ,roll the dice even the best ones. The simple fact is Toronto got better , much better ...Winnipeg was already deeper and better and the habs got better .... where does that leave the Oilers?? Well if you need someone to show or tell you how this is gonna play out , you might not know hockey too well...even the games best 2 offensive players won't rescue this

This is where your logic falls apart.

If those teams are better (they are) and are on the verge, how is Edmonton, a team thats much worse in depth also considered on the verge? We are middling team, with two superstars.

If those teams are adding a piece to make a run and are already superior, how does Edmonton also adding a piece make us better or in a position to win? Unless Crosby is available, adding at the cost of a first just maintains the status quo, which according to you - we were already behind in.

Thus its a waste of assets. Like I said in my post you ignored... we lost to Chicago last year, if the expectation is winning multiple rounds this year, then thats a you problem. Adding Taylor Hall (he didn't want to come here) doesn't do anything.

Reactions: KidLine93

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
This is where your logic falls apart.

If those teams are better (they are) and are on the verge, how is Edmonton, a team thats much worse in depth also considered on the verge? We are middling team, with two superstars.

If those teams are adding a piece to make a run and are already superior, how does Edmonton also adding a piece make us better or in a position to win? Unless Crosby is available, adding at the cost of a first just maintains the status quo, which according to you - we were already behind in.

Thus its a waste of assets. Like I said in my post you ignored... we lost to Chicago last year, if the expectation is winning multiple rounds this year, then thats a you problem. Adding Taylor Hall (he didn't want to come here) doesn't do anything.
Thats all fine to say but at the same time yiu need to step back and say then we'll mcdavid and leon we are OK but not good enough to compete this year ( or last )? This is YOUR logic. So guys if you can just wait a few more years we promise we will make a splash. Thats your logic.....and its wrong ... you throw those superstars a bone... start now. Aquire a subtle but good piece to show we are committed here. Having those guys g9 out there in round 1 and get demolished again does nothing but make them want to leave ..they didn't have to aquire hall or Manson etc to make a slight difference. All these teams now put more distance between themselves and Edmonton and its just that much harder now to catch up. Realistically mcdavid and leon are approaching thier prime if not there already. They are not going to get much better than they are now. This reminds us when crosby and Malkin were younger . Pitt isolated them brought it good veterans and gave them the tool sneeded to win... the Gonchars the Billy Gs, the satans, kuntiz etc... it took a couple of years of adding but it came together. Lesson here is use history as an exmaple.
Schools out

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Thats all fine to say but at the same time yiu need to step back and say then we'll mcdavid and leon we are OK but not good enough to compete this year ( or last )? This is YOUR logic. So guys if you can just wait a few more years we promise we will make a splash. Thats your logic.....and its wrong ... you throw those superstars a bone... start now. Aquire a subtle but good piece to show we are committed here. Having those guys g9 out there in round 1 and get demolished again does nothing but make them want to leave ..they didn't have to aquire hall or Manson etc to make a slight difference. All these teams now put more distance between themselves and Edmonton and its just that much harder now to catch up. Realistically mcdavid and leon are approaching thier prime if not there already. They are not going to get much better than they are now. This reminds us when crosby and Malkin were younger . Pitt isolated them brought it good veterans and gave them the tool sneeded to win... the Gonchars the Billy Gs, the satans, kuntiz etc... it took a couple of years of adding but it came together. Lesson here is use history as an exmaple.
Schools out
Not all great teams do it as fast as Chicago and Pittsburgh did. The prime example is the Michael Jordan Bulls. Or even th Leafs to an extend. They are doing it a bit faster than us but it's been a struggle

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Schools out

What are you talking about, history sides with being patient more often then not. The Oilers did get a subtle but good piece - you're in the thread about the exact player...problem is you think they need some offensive dynamo.

They might not get much better, but they aren't going to get worse either. Crosby is still a PPG all around player, and hes got a decade on McDavid. Sorry, but cup windows should be open longer than two years.

Pitt gave them the tools to win? Seriously?
2008-09 Pittsburgh Penguins Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

Thats 08-09 Cup Champs... Malkin 113 points, Crosby 103 points, Staal 49 points. Lmfao...3rd highest scorer is like 30% of the first two...lmao thats dismal. They had no more help than what McDrai is getting offensively. Fluery had a 0.912 in the playoffs, so its not like he was Tim Thomas. This is some heavy revisionist history, Crosby and Malkin carried that team, so let's see what these guys can do before we start crying about help. I would think these guys have some pride, they didn't lose to Chicago because they had not enough help, we were 2nd in the Pacific, they lost because they forgot how to play structured hockey and tending sucked. We have some decent prospects, let's see what we have in those. For years we get trolled because we rush and ruin every prospect, now we get trolled for being patient. :dunno:

As I've said before. MacKinnon has been in his prime how long? They are just starting to contend because Sakic didn't lose his mind the first year they made the playoffs. They added Makar, Byram, Kadri, etc. Tampa wasted a few years of prime Stamkos. Pittsburgh didn't do shit between 09 and 16. Ovechkin always had a good cast, never did anything when he was winning Harts. Pitt added 50 year old Guerin and Canada Kunitz (the number one international passenger), hardly some insane additions.

Its that much harder to catch up this year, but you need to think a little more long term. Toronto won't be able to afford to run this roster back. Vegas was already better because of adding Pietro..no one we could have gotten at the TDL is anywhere close to his level, so stop talking about Vegas. Winnipeg didn't add anyone, so I fail to see how they are uncatchable. The list goes on.

I dont normally drag on grammar on a hockey forum, but I'd refrain from trying to snag diss points by saying "schools out" when you type like that.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Probably up until he is a free agent. If it doesn't turn around, he will leave I expect. This summer is the best time to turn things around though. Finally have some cap space to deal with. It all depends on what Holland does with it.

Yeah, I've been saying the same thing over and over. I even repeated it on TSN 1260 on the trade deadline day. It's fun to come up with trades that would instantly improve the team but realistically Holland can't fix all of the holes in the line up by the deadline. It just wasn't going to happen.

The Oilers will have some real room to maneuver this off season cap-wise. I wonder if RNH will get his deal (I think they will sign him, but I don't know for sure) or Larsson will get re-upped or what they will do with Barrie. Three big UFAs right there.

If all of those guys walk for bigger paydays Holland will have his hands full replacing just what the team has lost, nevermind the missing pieces we have right now.

Losing Chiasson, Hygard, Haas, Ennis, P.Russell aren't key pieces really and should be replaceable with a couple of guys from the minors (I'm looking at you Ryan McLeod and Tyler Benson) and a few cheap UFAs. One or two of those names might return to the line up next year.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
This kinda sums it up best !!!!!hahah
Wow was this so funny hahaha I have never laughed so hard in my life. Along with your comments and post about Edmonton, you should think of taking Comdey up your so funny, yes that's sarcasm

Last edited:

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Not all great teams do it as fast as Chicago and Pittsburgh did. The prime example is the Michael Jordan Bulls. Or even th Leafs to an extend. They are doing it a bit faster than us but it's been a struggle
The big difference is Toronto identified some issues and went and acted on it . Last year it was defensive issues. They went and got brodie who has been outstanding and some key depth pcs. They wanted more grit and got it.. they identified they needed another top 6 and went and got it...thats the difference. They are no intention 9f letting Matthews and marner prime years go to waste without giving them a shot ...iam not a Toronto fan but they did well and in this division alignment this spells disaster for the Oilers

Reactions: My3Sons

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
What are you talking about, history sides with being patient more often then not. The Oilers did get a subtle but good piece - you're in the thread about the exact player...problem is you think they need some offensive dynamo.

They might not get much better, but they aren't going to get worse either. Crosby is still a PPG all around player, and hes got a decade on McDavid. Sorry, but cup windows should be open longer than two years.

Thats 08-09 Cup Champs... Malkin 113 points, Crosby 103 points, Staal 49 points. Lmfao...3rd highest scorer is like 30% of the first two...lmao thats dismal. They had no more help than what McDrai is getting offensively. Fluery had a 0.912 in the playoffs, so its not like he was Tim Thomas. This is some heavy revisionist history, Crosby and Malkin carried that team, so let's see what these guys can do before we start crying about help. I would think these guys have some pride, they didn't lose to Chicago because they had not enough help, we were 2nd in the Pacific, they lost because they forgot how to play structured hockey and tending sucked. We have some decent prospects, let's see what we have in those. For years we get trolled because we rush and ruin every prospect, now we get trolled for being patient. :dunno:

As I've said before. MacKinnon has been in his prime how long? They are just starting to contend because Sakic didn't lose his mind the first year they made the playoffs. They added Makar, Byram, Kadri, etc. Tampa wasted a few years of prime Stamkos. Pittsburgh didn't do shit between 09 and 16. Ovechkin always had a good cast, never did anything when he was winning Harts. Pitt added 50 year old Guerin and Canada Kunitz (the number one international passenger), hardly some insane additions.

Its that much harder to catch up this year, but you need to think a little more long term. Toronto won't be able to afford to run this roster back. Vegas was already better because of adding Pietro..no one we could have gotten at the TDL is anywhere close to his level, so stop talking about Vegas. Winnipeg didn't add anyone, so I fail to see how they are uncatchable. The list goes on.

I dont normally drag on grammar on a hockey forum, but I'd refrain from trying to snag diss points by saying "schools out" when you type like that.
Failing grade by sportsnet for the Oilers on their deadline activity. Even an illogical essay won't save face here . Oilers needed to get better and perhaps win a round and build but thay isn't happening now unless they can magically get the habs in round 1

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Wow was this so funny hahaha I have never laughed so hard in my life. Along with your comments and post about Edmonton, you should think of taking Comdey up your so funny, yes that's sarcasm
A true failing grade from sportsnet ..this isn't me making this up hahaha. Sometimes the reality stings.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Wait a second.

So it's a conditional 3/4. That has less value than a straight 3rd round pick.

So how on earth is David Savard worth an entire extra 1st? I think Kulikov is better than him.

Salary retention bumps up the price.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Failing grade by sportsnet for the Oilers on their deadline activity. Even an illogical essay won't save face here . Oilers needed to get better and perhaps win a round and build but thay isn't happening now unless they can magically get the habs in round 1

Meh, no need to save face. A click-bait shallow article from a media company that exists to generate clicks doesn't need to be refuted. I simply ignore and drive on.

What I wrote was only about 250 words, seemed logical to me, but i assume your attention span ran out somewhere in the middle.

Oilers play better against the Jets. If you're going to troll us, at least look at the record splits. Anywho, goodluck with that pitchfork.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Meh, no need to save face. A click-bait shallow article from a media company that exists to generate clicks doesn't need to be refuted. I simply ignore and drive on.

What I wrote was only about 250 words, seemed logical to me, but i assume your attention span ran out somewhere in the middle.

Oilers play better against the Jets. If you're going to troll us, at least look at the record splits. Anywho, goodluck with that pitchfork.
Yeah kinda lost me when the common sense part was lost ....when the leading sports media brand in Canada clearly agrees and gives them a failing grade you can rest assured its probably accurate. This isn't fake news !!! I believe hockey news also have Edmonton below average....back to the common sense part. Again the teams ahead of Edmonton got better at the deadline. They got deeper. They got more playoff ready. They were already better ...instead of giving the team a chance to win a round and build they got stuck spinning their wheels. You can only spin so much before you get stuck.....ill kindly forward you a message after round # 1. Enjoy

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Back then they also called obstruction a lot more. Crosby and Malkin had it easier

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Schools out

What on earth are you going on about. You talk about facts and logic. Let's do that shall we?

1) Winnipeg, one of the teams "better" than us:
  • are 5 points up with Edmonton having two games at hand
  • did not add anyone at the deadline other than Jordie Benn
  • Have a losing record 4-2 against the Oilers this year
How are they getting further ahead than us?

2) Whether Holland likes it or not, Edmonton did not have the cap space to add, that means:
  • Any acquisition needed to be net-neutral from a salary perspective, or
  • Any acquisition that was not net-neutral would require us to ship out cap dumps along with a valuable asset
That meant that this year was going to be ~doubly expensive for Holland to go all in.

3) Holland was highly active, for the 2nd year in a row, trying to undo the mess Chia created.
  • The first summer he turned over 7 players.
  • This summer he turned over 6 (Kahun, Turris, Pulju, Barrie, Shore, Koekkoek)
  • He accomplished this with about 10-12% of his cap available... meaning he was HIGHLY constrained
  • The reality is you cannot work miracles at this budget level, and guess what? Turris is no longer an NHLer, Kahun is not a top-6er, Pulju is building positively, but slowly, Koekkoek is injured, Shore is only a 4th liner and Barrie has filled in admirably while we miss our #1D
  • POINT: it's going to take some time to dig out of Chia's hole and I don't think anyone thinks we are there yet
4) This summer we have about $17M in cap that we can free up
  • That would be about 21% of the cap, much more than he's had to work with
  • Importantly, that's enough to devote to our biggest needs: a #2LW (if Klef doesn't return), a #1LW, a #3C or a #2LW (depending on what we do with Nuge), and a goalie
5) The goal at the deadline is add an asset or two in a year when you think you are an asset or two away from a cup
  • The Oilers are not an asset away from a cup
  • Reminding you again that the Oilers are cap constrained this year.. dollar in, dollar out... and freeing cap space requires you to spend additional assets
  • So a question for you: if the Oilers spent the SIGNIFICANT assets required to fill their (I count FOUR) significant holes this year, where do you think they would be come next deadline?
  • HINT: the answer is devoid of assets

Reactions: TFHockey

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
sure but yet you all smiles posting it
No not at all. In fact I enjoy watching Edmonton play and of had to choose another Canadian team to win beside Toronto it would be Edmonton. Perhaps that's what is the worst. They have potential but those superstars need to be insulated and fairly quickly

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
What on earth are you going on about. You talk about facts and logic. Let's do that shall we?

1) Winnipeg, one of the teams "better" than us:
  • are 5 points up with Edmonton having two games at hand
  • did not add anyone at the deadline other than Jordie Benn
  • Have a losing record 4-2 against the Oilers this year
How are they getting further ahead than us?

2) Whether Holland likes it or not, Edmonton did not have the cap space to add, that means:
  • Any acquisition needed to be net-neutral from a salary perspective, or
  • Any acquisition that was not net-neutral would require us to ship out cap dumps along with a valuable asset
That meant that this year was going to be ~doubly expensive for Holland to go all in.

3) Holland was highly active, for the 2nd year in a row, trying to undo the mess Chia created.
  • The first summer he turned over 7 players.
  • This summer he turned over 6 (Kahun, Turris, Pulju, Barrie, Shore, Koekkoek)
  • He accomplished this with about 10-12% of his cap available... meaning he was HIGHLY constrained
  • The reality is you cannot work miracles at this budget level, and guess what? Turris is no longer an NHLer, Kahun is not a top-6er, Pulju is building positively, but slowly, Koekkoek is injured, Shore is only a 4th liner and Barrie has filled in admirably while we miss our #1D
  • POINT: it's going to take some time to dig out of Chia's hole and I don't think anyone thinks we are there yet
4) This summer we have about $17M in cap that we can free up
  • That would be about 21% of the cap, much more than he's had to work with
  • Importantly, that's enough to devote to our biggest needs: a #2LW (if Klef doesn't return), a #1LW, a #3C or a #2LW (depending on what we do with Nuge), and a goalie
5) The goal at the deadline is add an asset or two in a year when you think you are an asset or two away from a cup
  • The Oilers are not an asset away from a cup
  • Reminding you again that the Oilers are cap constrained this year.. dollar in, dollar out... and freeing cap space requires you to spend additional assets
  • So a question for you: if the Oilers spent the SIGNIFICANT assets required to fill their (I count FOUR) significant holes this year, where do you think they would be come next deadline?
  • HINT: the answer is devoid of assets
Again wrong .....
1. Winnipeg is clearly the deeper of the 2 teams and this is universally acknowledged in the hockey world. Just because you live in a bubble doesn't mean its not true .
2. Other teams that were up against the cap crunch successfully added Toronto and Vegas come to mind.
3. Agreed he added in the offseason but once required additions come to light after the team has played and jockeying for playoff spots. LOL Stanley cups are NOT won in the off season ..
4. This summer is a good time to add as well but gaining some valuable playoff experience and perhaps winning a round woukd do wonders. Again from above. Cups are NOT won in the off season.
5. The goal is to give your team a shot . Even if its a round or two. In Edmonton case this would be huge. A big step forward in the main goal. This isn't hard. Pittsburgh did it... they in fact went to cup final before losing... if you recall they made playoff one season. Got beat by Ottawa and gained some valuable experience.

Your question is irrelevant. You dint need to sepnd a massive assets. often the best players are hidden gems thay find chemistry. Like a chris kunitz ...nobody said they had to go get Taylor hall LOL...unfortunately the Oilers are really in the same spot they were last year but now a year older and a wasted contract year for mcdavid .

Someone

Jul 11, 2007

So you think the Oilers should have given up something of value and "perhaps" win a round? Why? Seriously, what good does that do? The Oilers weren't getting through the division barring a miracle, even if they gave a 1st up for a 2nd liner.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
So you think the Oilers should have given up something of value and "perhaps" win a round? Why? Seriously, what good does that do? The Oilers weren't getting through the division barring a miracle, even if they gave a 1st up for a 2nd liner.
No one said give up a first...however a player picked up at the deadline isn't necessarily a rental and could stick around and help for years to come. The purpose is easy and the logic sound. Standing by and watching your 2 superstars basically waste another season in their prime. If history has shown us anything its that this can only happen for so long until something gives. The Oilers aren't going to magically challenge for a cup next year, its a building process. Part of that building process requires some success in the playoffs. If you think theboilers are going to from just making playoffs to cup championship, you are WRONG....with players available, what a time to get another piece for the Oilers puzzle..could be anything from a backup goalie to a depth D who will fill their role...not saying they should have went and got Taylor hall although he been fantastic in Boston and scored twice so far...

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
No one said give up a first...however a player picked up at the deadline isn't necessarily a rental and could stick around and help for years to come. The purpose is easy and the logic sound. Standing by and watching your 2 superstars basically waste another season in their prime. If history has shown us anything its that this can only happen for so long until something gives. The Oilers aren't going to magically challenge for a cup next year, its a building process. Part of that building process requires some success in the playoffs. If you think theboilers are going to from just making playoffs to cup championship, you are WRONG....with players available, what a time to get another piece for the Oilers puzzle..could be anything from a backup goalie to a depth D who will fill their role...not saying they should have went and got Taylor hall although he been fantastic in Boston and scored twice so far...

For the record, I wanted Hall. From what I gather, Hall wanted Boston.

I'd like to point out that the Oilers did in fact acquire a depth D, and you're currently commenting in that thread. Any of the forwards that the Oilers needed went for a first, adding more mediocre bottom 6 players served no purpose.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: