Confirmed Trade: [EDM/NJD] Dmitry Kulikov for 2022 cond. 3rd/4th round pick

Sheros expletives

Jan 9, 2014
i-expected-nothing-andim-stilllet-down-memes-com-2017-so-far-28955684.png

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The hell? Is this thread full of sarcasm or is he like the best shutdown defender in the league or something?

2 points in 38 games, yikes.

Barrie has almost a point per game. Is he a good defensive defenseman?

Id I was a GM I would like players that are great in diffrent ways on my team.
If a defenseman is great at defense, I like it

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Because it's not 1990 anymore and PMDs are what are needed, not stay at home defenceman. Players like Kulikov are irrelevant in 2021.
I wouldnt say irrelevant. You definitely want D who can consistently get out of their zone largely themselves, and not be stuck in your zone defending.. but if you’re stuck in your zone defending, a stay at home guy is nice

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
I would say irrelevant. You definitely want D who can consistently get out of their zone largely themselves, and not be stuck in your zone defending.. but if you’re stuck in your zone defending, a stay at home guy is nice

Also, penalties are still a thing. It's nice to have a defense man that can defend. Him with Barrie is going to be a good balance.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I would say irrelevant. You definitely want D who can consistently get out of their zone largely themselves, and not be stuck in your zone defending.. but if you’re stuck in your zone defending, a stay at home guy is nice

Even though Kulikov doesn't put up points, he's excellent in transition and gets the puck out of the zone under control quite frequently. He transformed P.K. Subban's game, he's going to be a godsend for Barrie.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
The Oilers need guys that can prevent goals against when 97 and 29 aren't on the ice since they don't have offensive depth up front. Kulikov is perfect to keep things calm when the big guns are on the bench.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Because it's not 1990 anymore and PMDs are what are needed, not stay at home defenceman. Players like Kulikov are irrelevant in 2021.

Have you actually watched hockey? Kulikov is exactly what the Oilers have been missing; pretty much for the entire century.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Very good deal for the Oilers. Boston got a 2nd for a worse Dman , a 4th for Kulikov is the best deal of the deadline so far. Im not saying its an amazing high end deal , just that the value is the best. A very steady D that plays a playoff style of game for a 4th ..
Not sure what Fitz is doing in NJ . I would have preferred NJ kept him and tried to resign him than get a conditional 4th.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I would say they are not irrelevant but less valuable than they once were.

There are quite a few stay-at-home NHL dmen that would make your statement sound ignorant.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
FYI: Kulikov isn't some pylon who can't move the puck out of his zone.

It's when you have sustained o-zone time where he's not going to do much from a playmaking standpoint. He's fine in transition.

Good deal for the Oilers. Was expecting a 3rd but surprised no one went there. This is a player with a long history in the league so maybe GMs have their read on who he is.

Reactions: RattsSSV

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Wait a second.

So it's a conditional 3/4. That has less value than a straight 3rd round pick.

So how on earth is David Savard worth an entire extra 1st? I think Kulikov is better than him.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Bizarre how you say Kulikov is a 1990 player when analytically he's one of the better dmen this year, whereas Reilly is a trainwreck. Unless you're his family, no one thinks he's better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad