Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Connor Brown signs with the Oilers (1 years, $775k + $3.225M bonuses)

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

Brown has 0 points in 9 games. This bonus is going to really hurt the Oilers next season. Does he actually play the 10th game or does he go on waivers?

That's what we call a bargain.

Hey McDavid, got any more friends you wanna sign?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Brown is a good player who coaches trust when games are on the line

When the Oilers start turning it around Brown will be a very valuable and useful player

People wanting to waive him now are being short sighted imo, the bonus sucks on doubt and Brown won't be the guy responsible for a turnaround but once the Oilers get going he's the type of player you use to defend leads late in games and he helps you win

I'm willing to bet by game 50 Oilers fans will have forgotten about the bonus and will be focusing on Brown's ability to help them take and hold leads instead

Reactions: Ciao

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

When the Oilers start turning it around Brown will be a very valuable and useful player

People wanting to waive him now are being short sighted imo, the bonus sucks on doubt and Brown won't be the guy responsible for a turnaround but once the Oilers get going he's the type of player you use to defend leads late in games and he helps you win

I'm willing to bet by game 50 Oilers fans will have forgotten about the bonus and will be focusing on Brown's ability to help them take and hold leads instead
I hope so. It's 50-50 to me.

1. He comes back, plays 10 more games with not many points and gets hurt again.
2. He comes back, had bad puck luck, gets 50 points and plays the remaining 60 regular season games (or whatever it is) and no one cares about next years cap hit.

I'm leaning towards less than 10 points and another injury.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's going to be on a line with RNH and McDavid. If McDavid gets back to his normal self this line could put up a lot of points.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He's going to be on a line with RNH and McDavid. If McDavid gets back to his normal self this line could put up a lot of points.
Any line with a healthy McDavid will put up points. Because of McDavid. Connor Brown doesn't improve that line. He likely makes it worse given his lack of impact to date and injury woes.

Can't believe they are putting Brown on a line with McDavid, coming off an injury and a season where he has not provided any production.

If Holland had any balls, he would sideline Brown for the season and save the cap.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Any line with a healthy McDavid will put up points. Because of McDavid. Connor Brown doesn't improve that line. He likely makes it worse given his lack of impact to date and injury woes.

Can't believe they are putting Brown on a line with McDavid, coming off an injury and a season where he has not provided any production.

If Holland had any balls, he would sideline Brown for the season and save the cap.
THIS

And I like Brown and the fancy stats people have encouraging stats saying he was doing well but no points. Puck luck! You know the last guy we said that about was? JP!

FTR... I loved this signing in offseason.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
My brown top 6 replacements in order

McLeod
Foeg
Lavoie
eventually a returning a Hollo
Xavier B after Xmas

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
THIS

And I like Brown and the fancy stats people have encouraging stats saying he was doing well but no points. Puck luck! You know the last guy we said that about was? JP!

FTR... I loved this signing in offseason.
It was a creative signing in that they fit him in with a league minimum caphit this season, and pushed the bonus to next. High risk signing.

My brown top 6 replacements in order

McLeod
Foeg
Lavoie
eventually a returning a Hollo
Xavier B after Xmas
Those are some terrible top-6 options.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It was a creative signing in that they fit him in with a league minimum caphit this season, and pushed the bonus to next. High risk signing.

Those are some terrible top-6 options.
We don't need a playdriver for the 6th guy in our Top 6. We need a good passenger.

I forgot Gagner too.

As a Brown replacement... they aren't doing any worse but don't cost us 3 mill next season.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
We don't need a playdriver for the 6th guy in our Top 6. We need a good passenger.

I forgot Gagner too.

As a Brown replacement... they aren't doing any worse but don't cost us 3 mill next season.
Its unfortunate the Oilers do not have any NHL-ready prospects who could legitimately take a top-6 spot. I look at a prospect like Joshua Roy who excels playing with talented players. He would be an interesting option on a line with McDavid. His hockey sense and shot would fit well with McDavid.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

maybe 3 or 4 years ago--not now.

He has lost a step

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This might be a dumb question but could the Oilers dump him and lose the cap penalty next year?

No, but they can dump players like Foegle and McLeod this year to get under the cap and basically use those cap savings to pay off more or all of Brown's salary this season so that it doesn't carry over.

Given that the season is going sideways and McDavid is hurt, probably gonna have to consider doing that. Not like a Foegele or McLeod is going to be a big difference maker one way or another.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Like the Oilers or not - the NHL is a better league/product when guys like McDavid are hoisting cups instead of his team making headlines for this kind of mismanagmemt.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I have read a lot of Oilolers takes, but I have seen very few people point out the high probability that the team and the player had a handshake agreement that the signing bonus was only a formality due to the cap, and the 10 games were guaranteed to Brown by the org.

We see teams exploit performance bonuses for cap management all the team. The reason it is obvious that this was a handshake agreement to give him the bonus is because of the structure. If there were actual concerns about durability, they would have selected a more appropriate GP benchmark. If there were concerns about performance, they would have selected an actual performance based benchmark like goals or points.

If they agreed to use the bonus to work with the cap limits this season, and they guaranteed it to him, they would be idiotic to screw him. It would do more damage in the long-run to screw a veteran player out of millions of dollars.

Not to mention, if there was a handshake agreement about both sides complicity agreeing to a soft performance bonus benchmark to "manage" the Oilers salary cap, and the Oilers refused to give Brown his 10th game, you have to imagine there would be some sort of push back from Brown, the NHLPA, and then possibly the league. As we in Ottawa know, the league hates to look bad! The league is fine with certain loopholes, but they want honour among thieves. Teams managing the cap with paper performance bonuses has never been an issue, but the moment a team screws a player on a paper bonus that they had a handshake agreement to give them in order to circumvent the cap, then it becomes a shit circus.

When I use the word guarantee, I do not mean in a legal sense. I mean two sides shaking hands and having the understanding that they are exploiting a cap loophole for mutual benefit, and that short of Brown suffering a season ending injury, he will be given 10 games.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Happy for the player

He hasn't put up a single point since April 2022, 2 years ago when he was playing for Ottawa and got the highest AAV in his career.

Bad contract for the team though - he's been a minus player on 2 consecutive teams now, and has not put up a single point since he left Ottawa to date.

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
Happy for the player

He hasn't put up a single point since April 2022, 2 years ago when he was playing for Ottawa and got the highest AAV in his career.

Bad contract for the team though - he's been a minus player on 2 consecutive teams now, and has not put up a single point since he left Ottawa to date.
Lmfao..another Edmonton hf flex when he signed just destroying them... you hate to see it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad