Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Connor Brown signs with the Oilers (1 years, $775k + $3.225M bonuses)

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Honestly it sounded like Toronto also wanted him back.

I think I would have done a 3.25 million contract for him. He's a 3rd wheel top 6 player.

I think the 10 games was guaranteed to happen.

Players and agents watch contracts like this. Dont want to not have good will.
it always seemed to me that Brown was signed to a $4M deal for one year and that the agreement and that this would be split across two years to fit it under the cap this year. This is why achieving the bonus was so easy. 10 games is not much.

So, if Edmonton wanted to go back on their word they could have buried Brown after nine games but it would have been screwing a guy over and breaking a promise. Not everyone wants to do that. Also, the rest of the players see this behavior too.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Didn't bother the read the entire thread, so apologies if it was already asked and answered. If Brown is traded, does his bonus next year go to the team acquiring him or does it stay with the Oilers?

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Didn't bother the read the entire thread, so apologies if it was already asked and answered. If Brown is traded, does his bonus next year go to the team acquiring him or does it stay with the Oilers?
I believe it stays with the Oilers. He would have got that money when played the 10th game. It’s already paid out.
The only way to avoid the cap penalty would be to trade guys away this year and get under the cap by the end of the season meaning they had enough room to cover his bonus payment

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Honestly it sounded like Toronto also wanted him back.

I think I would have done a 3.25 million contract for him. He's a 3rd wheel top 6 player.

I think the 10 games was guaranteed to happen.

Players and agents watch contracts like this. Dont want to not have good will.
Exactly.

I wanted him in Toronto too, but couldn't see how you go above $2.5M for him.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Another dreadful off season for Holland. Goaltending, D and the bottom six are all mediocre (and in the case of the goaltending that’s being extremely generous).
The big add in the off season was Connor Brown who has been awful.
Plus Brown and Campbell’s cap hits are really going to sting for next year and hamper the new GM.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Another dreadful off season for Holland. Goaltending, D and the bottom six are all mediocre (and in the case of the goaltending that’s being extremely generous).
Plus Brown and Campbell’s cap hits are really going to sting for next year and hamper the new GM.

Sure... Holland didn't do much for goaltending, our D or depth. He capped us out badly with awful bets.

In fairness though... Holland's draft picks are really paying of for us...

Strangle

May 4, 2009

I know everyone is really happy with the oilers Hyman signing, but out of all the players the leafs let go that Edmonton picked up they literally only hit on one of them.

The rest have been dogshit. 1 out of 5? 6? Not a good showing.

Reactions: Voight and 34

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Sure... Holland didn't do much for goaltending, our D or depth. He capped us out badly with awful bets.

In fairness though... Holland's draft picks are really paying of for us...

This must be sarcasm. 5 drafts and the only thing we've seen from his picks is Broberg who seems to want out and Holloway who's injured. Broberg's 11 career points is the most by a Holland draft pick for the Oilers.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This must be sarcasm. 5 drafts and the only thing we've seen from his picks is Broberg who seems to want out and Holloway who's injured. Broberg's 11 career points is the most by a Holland draft pick for the Oilers.
You forgot bourgault over walstedt.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I know everyone is really happy with the oilers Hyman signing, but out of all the players the leafs let go that Edmonton picked up they literally only hit on one of them.

I wasn't a fan... But Barrie did pan out for us very well and was even part of that Ekholm trade which might be Holland's finest work. I do agree with your point though.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
This is why players should play and let the GM do his work.. McDavid calling the shots ruining the Oilers cap.
If the signing worked out everybody would be crediting the GM and not McDavid, but since it’s failed they’re blaming McDavid lol

You people realize it could be simultaneously true that the team is desperate to keep McDavid happy/at home and making moves to that effect, and they’re not asking him first

The owner could he desperate to keep him around despite any lack of team success they may end the next couple years with.

Brown had a history of looking like a really solid depth player before his most recent big injury issue. It was a risk:reward thing

Gotta gamble sometimes, especially if you’re Edmonton.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm quite shocked that Connor Brown has not been a fit there in Edmonton. I haven't looked at many of their games so I can't speak on his performance but he was such a good player before his major injury. In Ottawa he was always the hardest working and reliable player. You knew exactly what you would get from him and that was 100% commitment to playing a quality 200ft game and relentless forecheck. Sens fans were pretty disappointed to see him moved at the time for the return that we got vs. what he was bringing on-ice on a nightly basis.

Really thought he would've been an amazing fit there in the top 9. I thought it was a risk well worth taking, honestly I still do. Unfortunate it's not working for now.

Hoping for him and Oilers fans that it's just a matter of getting his legs under him and get some confidence back after the injury because he would help that team a ton if he got back to his usual level of play.

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
If Campbell doesn’t make the team next year either, Edmonton will have roughly 8.5 million of their cap designated to paying players not to play for them (Neal, Campbell, Brown)

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

Barrie was just fine. Ceci would be okay too but like Barrie is being asked to play way above his head.

Reactions: Czechboy

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm quite shocked that Connor Brown has not been a fit there in Edmonton. I haven't looked at many of their games so I can't speak on his performance but he was such a good player before his major injury. In Ottawa he was always the hardest working and reliable player. You knew exactly what you would get from him and that was 100% commitment to playing a quality 200ft game and relentless forecheck. Sens fans were pretty disappointed to see him moved at the time for the return that we got vs. what he was bringing on-ice on a nightly basis.

Really thought he would've been an amazing fit there in the top 9. I thought it was a risk well worth taking, honestly I still do. Unfortunate it's not working for now.

Hoping for him and Oilers fans that it's just a matter of getting his legs under him and get some confidence back after the injury because he would help that team a ton if he got back to his usual level of play.
You can tell Brown isn’t 100% yet. He’s a step slower than he was before his injury and plays a timid game now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad