Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Connor Brown signs with the Oilers (1 years, $775k + $3.225M bonuses)

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
Leafs get mocked endlessly for not making it far in the playoffs. But then Edmonton signs a Leafs cast off and then they flex like they stole a key piece of the Leafs team. Then Edmonton seems to not do very well with that player the Leafs let go.

Barrie
Ceci
Campbell
Hyman
Brown (via Ottawa)

Barrie was pretty decent. At this point I'd much rather Bouchard was dealt and Barrie stayed

Ceci - Had a decent first year but pretty meh

Campbell - Dogshit

Hyman - I like what Hyman brings

Brown - I was expecting good things 😅

Ledge And Dairy

I don't get why he wasn't waived after the first 9 games? Worst case you lose him for nothing on waivers and someone else pays his 3.225M performance bonus. Odds are no one would claim him with how tight cap is though. Best case he goes down, gets his confidence back and earns a call back up. He wasn't going to suddenly figure it out after not playing since game 9, new coach or not.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
here is the thing about that top 6 fwd theory.

Brown has only scored 20 goals in a season twice and got over 40 pts once.

The oiles gambled that Brown would click with McDavid and things would go smoothly and it has not not, He has not looked good in the ice. The oilers should have sent him down to the farm for a conditioning stint for him to find his game.

on the stat sheet he has goose eggs across the board and that is killer

I don't get why he wasn't waived after the first 9 games? Worst case you lose him for nothing on waivers and someone else pays his 3.225M performance bonus. Odds are no one would claim him with how tight cap is though. Best case he goes down, gets his confidence back and earns a call back up. He wasn't going to suddenly figure it out after not playing since game 9, new coach or not.
It would make McDavid mad

• Haha
Reactions: thaman8765678

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Because McDavid is running the team, and they are friends.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
it always seemed to me that Brown was signed to a $4M deal for one year and that the agreement and that this would be split across two years to fit it under the cap this year. This is why achieving the bonus was so easy. 10 games is not much.

So, if Edmonton wanted to go back on their word they could have buried Brown after nine games but it would have been screwing a guy over and breaking a promise. Not everyone wants to do that. Also, the rest of the players see this behavior too.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Connor Brown is a top 6 winger???
He is for us.lol I am very much against playing him game 10 in case you think I'm happy with any of this.

I was stating 0 points because the fancy stats show he is being effective... but this is the JP argument all over again. I prefer my top 6 guys to have good fancies and some actual boxcars.

Ledge And Dairy

it always seemed to me that Brown was signed to a $4M deal for one year and that the agreement and that this would be split across two years to fit it under the cap this year. This is why achieving the bonus was so easy. 10 games is not much.

So, if Edmonton wanted to go back on their word they could have buried Brown after nine games but it would have been screwing a guy over and breaking a promise. Not everyone wants to do that. Also, the rest of the players see this behavior too.
The rest of the players see someone being rewarded for struggling. The guy is clearly lacking any confidence. You send him down he hopefully finds his game again, and then you call him back up.

This is a business, not a friendship circle. Is it breaking your promise when that person hasn't shown any usefulness. Is keeping McDavid happy important? Yes. Is Connor Brown the difference between whether McDavid stays or not? God no, the team needs to succeed and now they are hurting themselves in doing that next year.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I get what you're saying, but putting him beside Lemieux? I mean, talent-wise, sure, I can get why you'd do that, but as a player? Lemieux blows him away. Lemieux went through horrendous back problems, a broken hand, cancer, and anemia, and did what he had to do, every period of every game.

I don't see that level of committment from McDrai. I see a couple guys who are fine just collecting individual trophies and paychecks. In the NBA, the Big Three of the Spurs took paycuts year in and year out to keep the team competitive.

I bet McDrai are gonna ask for even more money when it comes time to sit down with the front office. Why wouldn't they? Look at the Nurse and Brown contracts - the Oilers clearly don't care, so why should the players? Who wouldn't just milk the team for all they can? So, what, a bunch of fans you'll never meet in real life can whine online about how you're a greedy jackass? Who cares, you're set for life....
I'm saying Lemieux and Orr are the 2 players you could say had more talent than McDavid. You could argue pre injury Selanne and Lindros potentially. McDavid is just selfish and one dimensional. He should be a winner, but isn't.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
He is for us.lol I am very much against playing him game 10 in case you think I'm happy with any of this.

I was stating 0 points because the fancy stats show he is being effective... but this is the JP argument all over again. I prefer my top 6 guys to have good fancies and some actual boxcars.
Honestly if Connor freaking brown is a top 6 winger then Garland is a 1st line player lol and actually Garland has been very good in terms of work ethic and forecheck

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I feel for Brown in all of this because he had that major injury and now this. We know he is a good NHL player. He had 74 points in his last 120 games with Ottawa while being a good two way player.

In a way, putting the pressure on Brown to figure it out because management doesn't want egg on their face is kind of making things worse. He would almost be better off going on waivers for 5-10 games and scoring some points then coming back up.

But I think Oilers are scared they put him on waivers, he gets claimed, and they are on the hook for the 3.2 in cap space and lose him for literally nothing after 11 games.

So what is the solution then? Let him destroy his confidence to where no one will claim him and he needs to re prove himself as an NHLer on a PTO next season?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I feel for Brown in all of this because he had that major injury and now this. We know he is a good NHL player. He had 74 points in his last 120 games with Ottawa while being a good two way player.

In a way, putting the pressure on Brown to figure it out because management doesn't want egg on their face is kind of making things worse. He would almost be better off going on waivers for 5-10 games and scoring some points then coming back up.

But I think Oilers are scared they put him on waivers, he gets claimed, and they are on the hook for the 3.2 in cap space and lose him for literally nothing after 11 games.

So what is the solution then? Let him destroy his confidence to where no one will claim him and he needs to re prove himself as an NHLer on a PTO next season?

Brown was never the best skater to begin with. On top of that those injuries are knee injuries. Serious stuff

He's part of the problelm in not providing adequete support. But man do the Oilers have bigger problems

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Brown was never the best skater to begin with. On top of that those injuries are knee injuries. Serious stuff

He's part of the problelm in not providing adequete support. But man do the Oilers have bigger problems
Brown is not an NHL quality forward anymore. Oilers should have figured that out by game 10.

Reactions: Czechboy

AmabileCassarole

Nov 4, 2023
I'm saying Lemieux and Orr are the 2 players you could say had more talent than McDavid. You could argue pre injury Selanne and Lindros potentially. McDavid is just selfish and one dimensional. He should be a winner, but isn't.

Remember when Oilers fans used to shit-talk Justin Schultz, saying he was an overpaid bum, a loser, would never amount to shit? What does he end up doing after going to an organization that actually cares about and invests in its players?

I'm willing to bet it's entirely possible he shapes up on another team. Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but you have to agree that the Oilers' crass inability to develop players doesn't help.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Remember when Oilers fans used to shit-talk Justin Schultz, saying he was an overpaid bum, a loser, would never amount to shit? What does he end up doing after going to an organization that actually cares about and invests in its players?

I'm willing to bet it's entirely possible he shapes up on another team. Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but you have to agree that the Oilers' crass inability to develop players doesn't help.
It's a complete lack of accountability. I've watched McDavid fly the offensive zone early AS A CENTER for his entire career. It never changes. His selfishness is allowed to continue because they are so scared he'll leave. They literally let him make decisions players have no business making. His agent is now president, his buddy is washed and they'll pay him 4M, his junior coach in now the head coach. He decides whether or not to bring in Kane. It's completely backward. I'm not just blaming him, it's partly him and partly the organization enabling him. Hitchcock got Modano to buy in, Bowman got Yzerman to buy in and cups followed. Why can none of the HOF players involved there not sit him down and ask him to play a team game to win? It's insane.

Nope, fire a coach, blame the goaltending. Neither is the issue there. The whole team doesn't buy into any sort of defensive system because the 12.5M man doesn't. If McDavid and Draisaitl (he at least plays D sometimes) played 2 way hockey and they had one more top 4 D who could defend they would be a cup favorite year in year out.

AmabileCassarole

Nov 4, 2023
It's a complete lack of accountability. I've watched McDavid fly the offensive zone early AS A CENTER for his entire career. It never changes. His selfishness is allowed to continue because they are so scared he'll leave. They literally let him make decisions players have no business making. His agent is now president, his buddy is washed and they'll pay him 4M, his junior coach in now the head coach. He decides whether or not to bring in Kane. It's completely backward. I'm not just blaming him, it's partly him and partly the organization enabling him. Hitchcock got Modano to buy in, Bowman got Yzerman to buy in and cups followed. Why can none of the HOF players involved there not sit him down and ask him to play a team game to win? It's insane.

Nope, fire a coach, blame the goaltending. Neither is the issue there. The whole team doesn't buy into any sort of defensive system because the 12.5M man doesn't. If McDavid and Draisaitl (he at least plays D sometimes) played 2 way hockey and they had one more top 4 D who could defend they would be a cup favorite year in year out.

Because none of those HOF players give a shit. Hell, Gretzky worked with Katz to blackmail Edmonton into building a new arena by making those awfully convenient trips to Seattle. He also preferred coaching and even, IIRC, owning the Arizona Coyotes over doing anything for the Oil. Mark Messier was more invested in being a Ranger and Canuck than being an Oiler.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto

Jeff Jackson is the main dude in Edmonton. He would have lost a lot of credibility if he did that as he was Brown's agent that negotiated that deal in the first place.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
The rest of the players see someone being rewarded for struggling. The guy is clearly lacking any confidence. You send him down he hopefully finds his game again, and then you call him back up.

This is a business, not a friendship circle. Is it breaking your promise when that person hasn't shown any usefulness. Is keeping McDavid happy important? Yes. Is Connor Brown the difference between whether McDavid stays or not? God no, the team needs to succeed and now they are hurting themselves in doing that next year.
The thing is, maybe it is not being "rewarded" and actually just a team following through on their word.

I get that it's a business. You are not suggesting that your word and promise don't apply when it's a business, are you?

Again, I don't think this was "sign for $775K and if you are good we will give you a bonus" I believe it was much more of a "sign for four million and let us split it over two seasons because we have no space". Those are very different.

As for your MacDavid comment, there is a lot there and I don't know as much as actual fans of the team do. It does seem that Jackson, Brown and the new coach all have a bit of "keep Connor happy" to them and none seem to be working.

verdi

Oct 19, 2023
The Oilers suck.....
Connor was brought in because he played on a line with McDavid in Jr's.
Brown is a decent player but he's a complimentary piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad