Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension (2 years, $5.6M AAV)

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Just saying, talk is cheap. What's said that could be true today, may not be true tomorrow. Edmonton turning into a contender might help the situation for sure, but nobody likes losing.

Edmonton isn't losing and if they start losing again, something would need to change anyway. Might as well start there.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Solid deal if true, well done Holland. They are facing a cap crunch and they will know next year if he is gonna sign long term. If he won’t they likely have one of the hottest trade chips.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Why only two years? The value is good but are they concerned that he won't live up to something like 50 million over 7 years?

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Smart move for the Oilers. Nurse is a far better dman than recognized here.

Reactions: PGW

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Reasonable EDM fans, how do you think this deal is?

5.5M on a bridge for a D like Nurse seems high. Has been been good this year?

I think it's a good deal, Nurse has been good enough to earn this contract but not good enough to earn a commitment of a big long term contract in the 7M range imo, especially since the Oilers will have Klef's contract needing to be renewed in a couple years and I don't think they would be able to keep both long term

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Nice contract
Long term would cost 7-8 mil and not ready for that kind of commitment

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

It's his third contract, so it isn't really a bridge. I'm sure he would have got something similar in arbitration.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
RNH extension. Off-season improvements in 2020/21. If you're talking about $2m-$2.5m, that's a decent chunk of the cap.

It's interesting as it carries him to UFA, but is this going to cost them anything significant on his next deal? Two years from now the Oilers may have reinforcements as well with Broberg, Samorukov and Jones.

Wait why would the Oilers even consider re-signing RNH? Unless it's for 4.5 million per year, it's time the Oilers move on.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Why only two years? The value is good but are they concerned that he won't live up to something like 50 million over 7 years?

Need cap space to come off the books.

He’s a long term fixture on the Oilers, I’m expecting a long term deal to follow.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Solid deal if true, well done Holland. They are facing a cap crunch and they will know next year if he is gonna sign long term. If he won’t they likely have one of the hottest trade chips.
Trading him as a rental will lower his value

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I swear there are only 3 different comments in this whole thread, repeated over and over by different posters who don't read a damn thing before posting their own "unique" take on things.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Wait why would the Oilers even consider re-signing RNH? Unless it's for 4.5 million per year, it's time the Oilers move on.
RNH is a very good top six forward who can score 65 points, while being fantastic in the defensive end. To add on, the Oilers do not have any prospect capable of filling his role in the lineup.

He will probably re-sign for 6 years around 6.75 M

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014

It's a bit high, but I would've been good with 6 years, 39 million. I'm not good with anything higher.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
A lot can happen in two years as I remember Tavares said he wanted to stay on the Isle too but that didn’t happen! The all mighty dollar can be deadly and it’s risky knowing if he doesn’t like what he sees or hears he can decide to walk in two years

If it doesn’t look like he’ll extend for some reason, we trade. By that time one of Samorukov or Broberg will be ready and Jones will have two more years of seasoning.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
RNH is a very good top six forward who can score 65 points, while being fantastic in the defensive end. To add on, the Oilers do not have any prospect capable of filling his role in the lineup.

He will probably re-sign for 6 years around 6.75 M

That's a terrible contract though. And an unnecessary one. He is what he is. Move Draisaitl to the #2 C role. Ship out RNH. And get legit wingers for two of the best five players in the sport.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Sounds like it’s official. Sportsnet reporting it’s completed. 2 years @ 5.6 million per as earlier reported by McKenzie and Dreger.

Reactions: McJesusSaves97

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
If it doesn’t look like he’ll extend for some reason, we trade. By that time one of Samorukov or Broberg will be ready and Jones will have two more years of seasoning.
Bouchard will make one of Klefbom or Nurse expendable for sure but I’d rather replace Klefbom with Bouchard and keep Nurse if it has to go down that way in the next few seasons

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Good deal. Nurse Betting on himself. Both sides should be happy with this. Only thing risky is he’s a UFA at the end of this so he could just walk.

also one thing to consider is the expansion draft. Maybe Seattle doesn’t select him if EDM leaves him exposed since he will be a soon to be ufa?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad