Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension (2 years, $5.6M AAV)

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
That takes him right to UFA at age 27, earliest he could possibly hit it at age 27? Good for Nurse.

It's almost as though the reason the deal exists in the form it does is that Nurse has no interest in leaving, is best friends with the captain, and they've openly agreed to revisit a long term extension in July 2021.

It's not like Bob McKenzie's more or less said that twice now. How could you know?

dustybreaks

Dec 31, 2012
How's a 2 years deal at 5.6M AAV that walks Nurse to UFA a good deal for the Oilers? Are you guys on drugs?
For a guy like Nurse a 6x6M AAV would have been a good deal, but 2 years for that much while walking the player to UFA isn't good.

I don’t no how people aren’t getting that.

Reactions: LFCTML

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I don’t no how people aren’t getting that.

Get what? That they're better off signing him to a long term deal at a fairy tale number well below his market value?

Or that they're walking him to UFA when, explicitly, the contract exists because they know they'll sign a long term deal in 18 months.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
This isnt a bridge deal people what dobt you understand???? Oilers dont have the cap space to sign him long term money, amd it's been mentioned numerous times he wants to be an Oiler long term. This is a gap fill until cap space opens up.

Oilers aren't worried about this deal taking him to ufa status because he won't hit fifa, he will ne signed before this contract expires

This kid is still young amd a stud. He has every tool pronger ever had amd imo is a better skater. The only exception is the brains which could still come with some maturity. Every one knows dman take years to hit there peak. Late 20s usually amd he is only 25

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Very dumb deal. I don’t think the AAV is bad at all, but the fact that it walks him strait to UFA is bleh. I know that the Oilers have a strong prospect pool on the left side, but getting Nurse on a long term deal would have been ideal.

Reactions: LFCTML

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Not a fan of walking a player directly into UFA but if the Oilers are comfortable with it and feel like they can get a longer term deal in the meantime its fine. 5.6$ Million seems alright as AAV as well.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
RNH extension. Off-season improvements in 2020/21. If you're talking about $2m-$2.5m, that's a decent chunk of the cap.

It's interesting as it carries him to UFA, but is this going to cost them anything significant on his next deal? Two years from now the Oilers may have reinforcements as well with Broberg, Samorukov and Jones.

Are you suggesting they would let him walk at 27 in UFA?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Very dumb deal. I don’t think the AAV is bad at all, but the fact that it walks him strait to UFA is bleh. I know that the Oilers have a strong prospect pool on the left side, but getting Nurse on a long term deal would have been ideal.

As has been repeated several times, Nurse has no interest in going anywhere else, Edmonton is where he wants to be. He can be extended Summer 2021, when the Oilers have a bunch of cap coming off the books. He’s close with McDavid and Draisaitl, and it’s been openly reported both sides want to discuss extension long before he goes UFA. This is fine.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Because they want the million or so in cap flexibility.

Nobody is worried about losing Darnell to UFA. He wants to stay. He's tight with Connor in particular. All of their cap bloat, except James Neal, is off the books in 2022-2023.

I don't buy into that tight with stuff... Trouba grew up with Copp and was good friends with Scheifele. It didn't stop him from forcing his way out. At the end of the day the guys will do what's best for themselves.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
As has been repeated several times, Nurse has no interest in going anywhere else, Edmonton is where he wants to be. He can be extended Summer 2021, when the Oilers have a bunch of cap coming off the books. He’s close with McDavid and Draisaitl, and it’s been openly reported both sides want to discuss extension long before he goes UFA. This is fine.
A lot can happen in two years as I remember Tavares said he wanted to stay on the Isle too but that didn’t happen! The all mighty dollar can be deadly and it’s risky knowing if he doesn’t like what he sees or hears he can decide to walk in two years

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I don't buy into that tight with stuff... Trouba grew up with Copp and was good friends with Scheifele. It didn't stop him from forcing his way out. At the end of the day the guys will do what's best for themselves.

Of course, Trouba consistently wanted out of Winnipeg and Nurse has only ever wanted to be here long term.

Do you buy into McKenzie reporting twice over two weeks that the reason walking him to UFA doesn't scare anyone is because they'll revisit a long term deal in summer 2021.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
This lets him walk at the end of the contract or demand a big money extension.

The Oilers will be at 68 million next year with I think 13 players signed so they will have between 14 and 15 million to sign 8 players, that's pretty tight. No big Free agent fixes this summer.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Reasonable EDM fans, how do you think this deal is?

5.5M on a bridge for a D like Nurse seems high. Has been been good this year?
Its pretty good. The rumor was that Nurse wanted 7 M + on a long term deal. We will also have to re-sign Ryan Nugent-Hopkins next season so we really need the savings.

Nurse really likes playing in Edmonton and is best friends with McDavid so there is a low chance of him leaving. If he does leaves, Edmonton has Broberg & Samourkov to replace him.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Of course, Trouba consistently wanted out of Winnipeg and Nurse has only ever wanted to be here long term.

Do you buy into McKenzie reporting twice over two weeks that the reason walking him to UFA doesn't scare anyone is because they'll revisit a long term deal in summer 2021.

Just saying, talk is cheap. What's said that could be true today, may not be true tomorrow. Edmonton turning into a contender might help the situation for sure, but nobody likes losing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad