TSN: EDM Chiarelli press conference @ 12 EST

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
He's really as dumb as we all thought. He moves players like Hall and Eberle and sort of Barzal and replaces them with plugs like Strome, Lucic, and Reinhart and now he's wondering why his team is too slow and bad

For the 17262527848th times Chiarelli didnt trade Barzal. How is that so hard to understand?

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Did he apologize for being an idiot and single-handedly destroying the Oillers.

Hall for Larsson
Eberle for Strome
16th and 33d for (sorry I have to laugh) Griffin Reinhart
signing Lucic

Are we sure he's not purposely trying to f*** the Oilers?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
For the 17262527848th times Chiarelli didnt trade Barzal. How is that so hard to understand?
How hard is "sort of" to understand? No he didn't literally trade him. He still could have drafted a fast and skilled player if that's what he wanted but instead he went after a well known slow plug who did nothing for them. His whole philosophy behind the team was size and toughness and now he's wondering why he doesn't have speed or skill. Trades like that is why

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, the Oilers have been a big disappointment this year. I expect some big changes there this summer.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
"I'd like to randomly open myself up for questions that I can't answer at this time."

Seemed like he just wanted to make it clear that he isn't blowing it up. Otherwise, meh.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
How hard is "sort of" to understand? No he didn't literally trade him. He still could have drafted a fast and skilled player if that's what he wanted but instead he went after a well known slow plug who did nothing for them. His whole philosophy behind the team was size and toughness and now he's wondering why he doesn't have speed or skill. Trades like that is why
Yes, but people need to remember WHY he traded those picks - he turfed most of our scouts days before and didn't trust the scouting reports he had. The issue isn't with trading the picks, its that he listened to the wrong other guy about a player he was inquiring about. That's still not good, but it's not like he traded a surefire future star.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
This is an annual oilers tradition to trot out one of the guys to take his lumps in press conference which he says, stay the course, be patient, developing, not going to blow it up.
The gm seems to be forced into this unpleasant task by the higher ups as a form of spanking.

The oilers cannot blow it up even if they wanted to. They have unmovable contracts, underachieving players and almost zero resources to make a deal. (As they have totally squander a mountain of trade resources over the years. Always selling low on players and watching as they do well or better than well elsewhere.)

Reactions: Supermassive

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
"I'd like to randomly open myself up for questions that I can't answer at this time."

Seemed like he just wanted to make it clear that he isn't blowing it up. Otherwise, meh.

I think it was more that he and his full team are sitting in the room and no one is calling. Then one guys says hey why don't you do a press conference to see if it stirs something up. Then he drops the "too much money for 3 cetners" line and runs out the room. Now they are all waiting for the phone to ring again.

Reactions: Getzmonster

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Is it possible that Draisaitl is available? He says he doesn't want that much money tied up in centres. Sounded like he was preparing the fans for a big move.
Maybe the plan is to admit that Drai is so good on McDavid's wing that they count him as a winger instead? And sign a cheap 3C this summer? McD - Nuge - ??? - Khaira as our C's, Drai-JP-Kassian-??? as RW's, Lucic, Cagguila, ??? and ??? as LW's.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Yes, but people need to remember WHY he traded those picks - he turfed most of our scouts days before and didn't trust the scouting reports he had. The issue isn't with trading the picks, its that he listened to the wrong other guy about a player he was inquiring about. That's still not good, but it's not like he traded a surefire future star.

Well there have been about 3 stars out of that draft so far and another half dozen who could be stars. Very deep draft in which even the 2nd rounders wee good (Sebatisn Aho). It was an awful decision that badly hurt the team, but just one of many. He deserves every bit of criticism for that deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad