Confirmed with Link: [EDM/CHI] TRADE: Liam Coughlin for Anders Nilsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchultzSquared*

Can Nilsson even come to an Oilers camp if he's under KHL contract? Not sure it's as simple as having him challenge for a spot, and then return to the KHL if he doesn't get it.

He doesn't have a KHL contract. It was a one-year thing, and while his club jumped through hoops and over fire trying to get his John Hancockov on the dotted line, he wouldn't do it. Now he's here. Do the math.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Good trade. Coughlin pretty much amounts to having lower value than "future considerations." Pretty good return for the lowest possible value that you can send the other way.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Wow, who thought Liam Coughlin would ever be useful for us? From a value perspective this is a pretty good trade for us. That being said, I never liked Nilsson. He had a real good KHL season with, I think, almost some sort of shutout record in the playoffs so I was kinda hoping he'd found his groove and improved from his NYI days. Then, watching the World Championships, he looked very much like the same goalie from before. Not sure how I'd feel about him being the backup. I don't particularly like Scrivens as a goalie but despite that I think he is a more reliable backup to Talbot than Nilsson would be.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
He doesn't have a KHL contract. It was a one-year thing, and while his club jumped through hoops and over fire trying to get his John Hancockov on the dotted line, he wouldn't do it. Now he's here. Do the math.

The point I was trying to get at is that it may not be as simple as him coming over to North America to challenge for an NHL spot, and then skip back to the KHL if he doesn't land one.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Wow, who thought Liam Coughlin would ever be useful for us? From a value perspective this is a pretty good trade for us. That being said, I never liked Nilsson. He had a real good KHL season with, I think, almost some sort of shutout record in the playoffs so I was kinda hoping he'd found his groove and improved from his NYI days. Then, watching the World Championships, he looked very much like the same goalie from before. Not sure how I'd feel about him being the backup. I don't particularly like Scrivens as a goalie but despite that I think he is a more reliable backup to Talbot than Nilsson would be.

He got some critics saying that he was playing to low during the WC but he was still our best GK in the championship imo.

Hes a good keeper with a bright future if handled right. From a Luleå fan.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Possible high reward, no risk move. Compitition makes good players better. Both him and Scrivens will be highly motivated if Scrivens is kept around.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Is this a way for the Oilers to free up another contract if Nilsson doesn't sign? Sounds like he doesn't want to play in the AHL, but Chiarelli has made it clear that he wants AHL goalie depth rather than saddling Brossoit with pure starting time.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Have to think so. My guess is Chia will dump Scrivens to whomever wants him.

Unless Scrivens is really unhappy and wants out, I think he's the least of worries of all overpaid players. If one were to retain salary, Idrather see Nikitin go and let Scrivens and purcell just ride out their contracts, if necessary in the minors.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Is this a way for the Oilers to free up another contract if Nilsson doesn't sign? Sounds like he doesn't want to play in the AHL, but Chiarelli has made it clear that he wants AHL goalie depth rather than saddling Brossoit with pure starting time.

Coughlin didn't have a contract. So we either stay the same, or add one.

OutForMilk

Feb 25, 2010
location, location
A lot has changed in the KHL since Nillson has went over. I believe AHL is actually a better option these days. Nilsson probably realizes that hence the move.
I doubt the Oilers are guaranteeing his a spot as the backup. Hell have to earn it.

IMO, there's a 110% chance that if Nilsson doesn't make the NHL team, he goes back. He can make 10-20 times the money in the KHL over the AHL.
This is training camp competition for scrivens

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Coughlin didn't have a contract. So we either stay the same, or add one.

Thanks! Stauffer saying now that he expects the Oilers to sign Nilsson.

Edit: Stauffer also saying that it will be for an NHL job . . . interesting.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Chia already knows which scouts are good.

He trusts our European scouting staff, and for good reason, given the number of hits they've had with middle to low round picks.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Can't see him being a better backup than Scrivens. This year at least

Don't know enough about Nilsson, but I'm inclined to agree. It just seems very strange to have him on an NHL contract, making a total of three on the books. Maybe for competition purposes? We'll see how this plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad