Confirmed with Link: [EDM/CHI] TRADE: Liam Coughlin for Anders Nilsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
The Ders!

Interesting. I remember him being a very solid prospect for the Isles at one point. Hope he turns out to be Ramo.

Low risk move. Liam Coughlin was a reach to say the least.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I like it.

He's coming into the age range where goalies start to put it all together, he's got great size and good mechanics for the position. He's posted consistently improving numbers and has gained experience playing quite a bit of hockey on both sides of the pond the last few years.

I don't know what the plan is here because they are unlikely to find a taker for Scrivens and I don't know how I feel about having an unproven starter in Talbot backed up by an unproven back up.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I wonder if he comes gets a shot at camp if he loses to Scrivens he goes back to the KHL. Be interesting to see what happens here as we seem to have one too many guys now.

Yeah that's what I'm wondering. Although you're in a bit of a bizarre scenario if he does steal the backup job. Then we've gotta find a taker for Scrivens.

Hemsky is a gangsta

Hemsky is a gangsta
Jun 23, 2004
Yeah that's what I'm wondering. Although you're in a bit of a bizarre scenario if he does steal the backup job. Then we've gotta find a taker for Scrivens.

If he makes 950k or less, the Oilers can send Scrivens down to the minors with no worries.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Great trade, but odd?

Only team I can see taking Scrivens on is Boston at 50%. Maybe.

Same here, but they could always call up Subban if they feel he's ready.

My other thought is that Cam Ward + a draft pick is on the move somewhere like Toronto and Scrivens would be a 2B to Lack. But even that doesn't make a ton of sense.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
Doesn't Nilsson just replace Bachman?
Oilers were trying to re-sign Bachman but lost him to the Canucks. Laurikainen should be the starter in the ECHL.
In saying that I believe Nilsson will challenge for the backup role in Edmonton and Scrivens can move to the farm if he loses out in that competition.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Oilers were trying to re-sign Bachman but lost him to the Canucks. Laurikainen should be the starter in the ECHL.
In saying that I believe Nilsson will challenge for the backup role in Edmonton and Scrivens can move to the farm if he loses out in that competition.

Nilsson left for the KHL because he didn't want to play in the AHL anymore. He's not coming back to play in the minors.

OutForMilk

Feb 25, 2010
location, location

Nilsson isn't willing to play in the AHL. That's why he left in the 1st place.

beat me to it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Keep in mind we only have 3.75mil locked into scrivens/talbot. At most say 1.25 for Nilsson. That's 5mil. PC might be okay with spending 5mil with Scrivens in the AHL. It's really not that much as a whole. The problem I see is if none of the guys can hack it. Now you have Morrison, Conklin, Markannen all over again.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Nilsson left for the KHL because he didn't want to play in the AHL anymore. He's not coming back to play in the minors.

Exactly, this has to be NHL related, that has been said numerous times in this thread if people just read. Scrivy must be part of something (either buyout or trade).

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Keep in mind we only have 3.75mil locked into scrivens/talbot. At most say 1.25 for Nilsson. That's 5mil. PC might be okay with spending 5mil with Scrivens in the AHL. It's really not that much as a whole. The problem I see is if none of the guys can hack it. Now you have Morrison, Conklin, Markannen all over again.

Problem with Scrivens in the minors is that he's stealing starts from Brossoit who needs to be the starter down there.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I'd imagine that he's purely camp competition for Scrivs.

If he unseats him - sweet. If not, back to the KHL.

Now that I think more, this is a risk-free move.

totally a risk free move.

The best approach in regards to goalies is buck shot. Just take as many shots as you can and eventually one will pan out.

Most likely he comes to camp and unless he is the best goalie at camp he likely returns to the KHL for another season. This time next year Scrivens will be gone, we will have a better idea if Talbot is going to stick and Nilsson will be a good cheap back up option.

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
I really really like Nilsson's resume...

But where does he fit in?

This must mean Scrivens is out, of Nillson has agreed to be the #1 guy in the AHL, hoping to be a back up by 2016/17.

We'll see if he signs a deal or not.

-NoGoal-

Aug 15, 2006
From this short glimpse, he looks like a very athletic and mobile goaltender; especially for his size. He's very active in the net, I'd guess that ends up being a hindrance to his game (as it is for many young goalies at the NHL level). Damn is he ever quick, these guys are pros for a reason...

Really a good looking goaltender. This was in late 2014, and it looks like the kid has played some good hockey since then abroad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5sIe7Ohlqg

Last edited:

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Can Nilsson even come to an Oilers camp if he's under KHL contract? Not sure it's as simple as having him challenge for a spot, and then return to the KHL if he doesn't get it.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Scrivens makes 2.3, which is quite high for a backup. Maybe replacing Scrivens with Nilsson is just a way to lower the cap hit on the backup, much like what Chiarelli did with the 4th line centre spot.

Have to think so. My guess is Chia will dump Scrivens to whomever wants him.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
Nilsson isn't willing to play in the AHL. That's why he left in the 1st place.

beat me to it.

A lot has changed in the KHL since Nillson has went over. I believe AHL is actually a better option these days. Nilsson probably realizes that hence the move.
I doubt the Oilers are guaranteeing his a spot as the backup. Hell have to earn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad