Confirmed with Link: [EDM/CHI] TRADE: Liam Coughlin for Anders Nilsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Devil's Advocate for a moment...

Theoretically... let's say Chiarelli pulls off the trade of a lifetime and unloads

Scrivens+Nikitin+Purcell+Ference(agrees to the trade)... all for late draft picks and future considerations.

Now he starts the season with Nilsson+Reinhart+Slepyshev+Nurse on the roster as their replacements.

How many of us here would praise that remarkable trade BUT at the same time be thinking... wow that's a lot of unproven question marks to add to a team with already quite a few question marks.

There's something to be said for some veteran presence on a team that's already got a lot of youth.

For the record I'd do that deal and be ecstatic but my guess is that in the short term there would likely be a pretty big learning curve and some bumpy times in the win/loss column with that many new bodies dumped into the roster.

Firstly that would free up $14.55 million in cap and it would be replaced by $3,651,666 for a cap savings of $10,898,334. Secondly I would not be playing Nurse in the NHL right now, I would instead have Davidson at $585,000 riding the pine as our 7th defenseman. That would bring our total cap savings to $11,176,667.

$11+ million in additional cap to make moves works for me.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Firstly that would free up $14.55 million in cap and it would be replaced by $3,651,666 for a cap savings of $10,898,334. Secondly I would not be playing Nurse in the NHL right now, I would instead have Davidson at $585,000 riding the pine as our 7th defenseman. That would bring our total cap savings to $11,176,667.

$11+ million in additional cap to make moves works for me.

And the reason we'd want this lottery ticket of a hypothetical salary dump in the first place is that that "veteran presence" is just as much or more of a question mark than the unproven rookie replacements. Or if it isn't a question mark, it's because we know the horrible answer already.

I'd much, much, much rather have Davidson than Nikitin right now. In this case, I'll take the devil I don't know. There's no future for Nikitin here, just awful, horrible short-term present. I think moon's point about not having too many rookies is a good one in general, but the veterans in question aren't influencing anything here for the better.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.

Theoretically... let's say Chiarelli pulls off the trade of a lifetime and unloads

Scrivens+Nikitin+Purcell+Ference(agrees to the trade)... all for late draft picks and future considerations.

Now he starts the season with Nilsson+Reinhart+Slepyshev+Nurse on the roster as their replacements.

How many of us here would praise that remarkable trade BUT at the same time be thinking... wow that's a lot of unproven question marks to add to a team with already quite a few question marks.

There's something to be said for some veteran presence on a team that's already got a lot of youth.

For the record I'd do that deal and be ecstatic but my guess is that in the short term there would likely be a pretty big learning curve and some bumpy times in the win/loss column with that many new bodies dumped into the roster.

my biggest concern would just be that we would have given up a lot of NHL experience for lack of it with the new players.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I'm absolutely fine with starting the year like that because there are veteran UFAs who can likely be had for a song if you feel you need a veteran presence.

Being rid of the junk has a lot of value.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
although from a depth standpoint, perhaps they still need a guy like Purcell just in case Nail doesn't produce as expected then you have Purcell on the depth chart still.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
although from a depth standpoint, perhaps they still need a guy like Purcell just in case Nail doesn't produce as expected then you have Purcell on the depth chart still.

You actually don't though, because you can find a UFA right now to produce at that level if you're concerned, that player will be less expensive and probably a better fit.

This team doesn't need Purcell for anything.

If that's a serious concern, give $1M to Michael Ryder, he's a better player.

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
You actually don't though, because you can find a UFA right now to produce at that level if you're concerned, that player will be less expensive and probably a better fit.

This team doesn't need Purcell for anything.

If that's a serious concern, give $1M to Michael Ryder, he's a better player.

Exactly this. The only reason he's on the roster is due to his unloadable contract. The guy doesn't do anything at all exceptionally and very few things he's even able to do well at this level. He brings very, very little.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Contract aside...I agree with this. Nail is anything but a sure thing and having a vet to pick up the slack is a good idea.

He is a capable vet. The issue is the fit on this team.
On a team full of smurfs up front (like this team) Purcell is not a good addition. As a secondary scorer on a big gritty team like Winnipeg or St Louis he would be a solid addition.

Not sure what Purcell has to do with Nilsson though. :dunno:

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
As of right now yes. Lets see if coughlin makes the nhl. Hawks in the last few years have not lost many deals

They don't exactly win a tonne of trades either. They do okay picking up rental players in the sense that they've won a bunch of cups. But a lot of those rentals cost a lot and don't really perform all that well (Timmonen and Vermette last year). It's been a long time since they've really acquired anything of note outside of rentals in trades.

And in the meantime they've traded away a lot of NHL caliber young players over the years and never really gotten much outside of picks in return.

The Hawks are a team that's been built off being able to replace the talent they lose from within and having studs in key positions.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Guy is a giant and has looked good in every game he's played. He's going to challenge for the starting position.

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
65136762.jpg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
As of right now yes. Lets see if coughlin makes the nhl. Hawks in the last few years have not lost many deals

Lol were going to wait 5-7 years to see what Coughlin does?

This is a win for Edmonton regardless. They made a trade for a guy they desperately needed now.

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
The thought crossed my mind last night that if (big if) Nillson turns out to be a legit starting goaltender, and if (smaller if) Talbot proves himself as well, the Oilers could trade one away later this season as part of a package to upgrade the defense.

However, I would prefer it if they could hang onto both and make sure the position remains strong.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
The thought crossed my mind last night that if (big if) Nillson turns out to be a legit starting goaltender, and if (smaller if) Talbot proves himself as well, the Oilers could trade one away later this season as part of a package to upgrade the defense.

However, I would prefer it if they could hang onto both and make sure the position remains strong.

Except we've seen goalies have little market trade value.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008

we need a bigger sample size than just one season. We're not in a position where, when we finally have stable goaltending, we can start trading away legit NHL goalies.

Teams that successfully develop goaltending over and over have a tendency to hang on to their over qualified backups just a little bit too long. Look at the goalie factory teams like LA.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
No way theyd trade away one if they both became capable NHL goalies. You hold on to that for dear life. Max value theyd get is maybe a 3rd round pick

Nilson was excellent in pre season and good in 2 NHL games, hopefully he keeps it up

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Looking beastly this kid. Was easily the #1 star last night. Reliability might be an issue down the road. He has made huge saves no doubt but the goals that he has allowed thus far were all easy stops.

Dubnyk was similar.. big saves galore but then would allow a weak wrister from the blue line to go in.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Looking beastly this kid. Was easily the #1 star last night. Reliability might be an issue down the road. He has made huge saves no doubt but the goals that he has allowed thus far were all easy stops.

Dubnyk was similar.. big saves galore but then would allow a weak wrister from the blue line to go in.
Weak goals are fine as long as they don't throw the goalie off their game. Nilsson allows a bad goal and seems to forget about it and keep playing. Dubnyk would let one in and it would rattle him.

Nilsson goals were savable but I wouldn't call them bad goals really.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
From what I saw the goal last night changed direction off Fayne. I don't think it was a weak goal.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Deal is looking like a steal at the moment. Taking guys from the KHL is a bit of a gamble, we all should remember Belov. But this guy just seems like a guy who just flourished over there and took his game to another level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad