Confirmed with Link: [EDM/CHI] TRADE: Liam Coughlin for Anders Nilsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
MacTavish values Scrivens very highly and he isn't in charge anymore.

It'll be interesting what happens. I'd keep Nilsson. Hrs younger, bigger and has looked really comfortable. Scrivens is playing well in preseason, but he still looks like Ben Scrivens. He doesn't always look comfortable in the net.

Hell, I think Nilsson has looked better than Talbot so far. Maybe we see a Russell Wilson type situation.

Talbot = Matt Flynn
Scrivens = Tavaris Jackson
Nilsson = Russell Wilson

That would be nice haha

That analogy works surprisingly well. But like the other poster said, if Talbot is Rodgers and Nilsson is Wilson, we're in for a heckuva ride.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I would personally keep Nilsson as the backup and send down Scrivens. There is no bad outcome to that

-Scrivens gets claimed on waivers
- Allows the kids in Bakersfield to get the ice time needed
- Gives Nillson and Talbot a chance to show what they have

-Scrivens clears waivers and goes to AHL
- Gives a backup to with NHL experience in case Nilsson or Talbot get hurt or falter.
I feel like Scrivens being in Bakersfield would be an issue. While it would be nice to have even better goaltending depth, that would limit Broissoit's starts and development and it would also likely push Laurikainen down to the ECHL. Given Broissoit's emergence over the last couple seasons, he should be playing a ton of games this year and Laurikainen should get into quite a few as well so we can see what we have.

If Nilsson beats out Scrivens, I hope we find a trade partner for Scrivens where we potentially keep $1M in salary or something like that.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I feel like Scrivens being in Bakersfield would be an issue. While it would be nice to have even better goaltending depth, that would limit Broissoit's starts and development and it would also likely push Laurikainen down to the ECHL. Given Broissoit's emergence over the last couple seasons, he should be playing a ton of games this year and Laurikainen should get into quite a few as well so we can see what we have.

If Nilsson beats out Scrivens, I hope we find a trade partner for Scrivens where we potentially keep $1M in salary or something like that.

That's my thought as well - retain 50% and see if a team has a goalie go down. Scrivens @50% is 1.15 million if I remember correctly.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Yeah I thought of that and I totally agree. Just didn't feel like typing a bunch more, ideally they can find him a home with another club if he loses out to Nilsson. I just don't want to lose Nilsson so that LB or R2E2 gets more games. I think having LB play 60% of the games in Bakersfield and E2 playing 75% in the ECHL would be ok for one year if that's the worst case senario.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
AFAIC, Nilsson has already beaten out Scrivens. Friday night, Scrivens goes out and plays a complete dud. Lets in two bad goals, forces his club into a last minute comeback to win the game.

The very next day, Nilsson goes out and pitches an ace. Makes incredible save after incredible save, gives his team every opportunity to win, and pulls out the shutout.

The juxtaposition simply could not have been more crystal clear.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I wouldnt say Scrivens played terrible at all against the Jets, one of the goals wasn't great but the other two he didn't have much hope. He played about the kind of game you'd expect from a backup.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
AFAIC, Nilsson has already beaten out Scrivens. Friday night, Scrivens goes out and plays a complete dud. Lets in two bad goals, forces his club into a last minute comeback to win the game.

The very next day, Nilsson goes out and pitches an ace. Makes incredible save after incredible save, gives his team every opportunity to win, and pulls out the shutout.

The juxtaposition simply could not have been more crystal clear.
At the moment, I'm in favour of keeping Nilsson over Scrivens but this is a pretty simplistic way of looking at it.

Scrivens played against a Jets team that had most of their starters in the lineup.

Nilsson played against a Wild team that had maybe two players who will start the season with the big club.

This competition still needs to play out and like others have said, I wouldn't be shocked if it goes down to the end of camp. I just hope we don't start the season with three goaltenders simply to avoid moving Scrivens' salary down to the minors (and I think likewise on keeping 8 defencemen).

McDeathbyCheerios*

At the moment, I'm in favour of keeping Nilsson over Scrivens but this is a pretty simplistic way of looking at it.

Scrivens played against a Jets team that had most of their starters in the lineup.

Nilsson played against a Wild team that had maybe two players who will start the season with the big club.

This competition still needs to play out and like others have said, I wouldn't be shocked if it goes down to the end of camp. I just hope we don't start the season with three goaltenders simply to avoid moving Scrivens' salary down to the minors (and I think likewise on keeping 8 defencemen).
The difference is that Nilsson had worse defense and a tired team in a early back to back. When he had to he made big saves no matter who the competition was and looking composed and calm the entire time. He looked comfortable.

Scrivens looked worried and scrambly. Yes he battered down the hatches when his team started the comeback but he was a part of why his team needed to come back in the first place.

Scrivens when on his game is a better goalie. However I see Nilsson as being the much more consistent option.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Goaltending is admittedly tough to judge because your team and your opponent have so much to do with the success in net as well. As has been pointed out... these lineups haven't exactly been high caliber that the Oilers have been facing so it's even harder to judge.

Ideally you'd want full NHL rosters over the course of several full games for each goalie to decide... but that simply isn't going to happen in the short pre-season.

Personally I'd go with Nilsson simply because I'm looking at what Scrivens did last season as well. Unfair? Maybe so when a lot of that was under Eakins and that ******* nearly ruined several players... but even under Nelson when the team started looking less zombie-like again, Scrivens still wasn't looking very solid in net. He went down too often imo and didn't handle the puck very well and just didn't look confident and steady in there. I still see some of that in this admittedly small sample size here in the pre-season.

Nilsson on the other hand has looked solid and combined with the fact he's bigger/younger and has produced solid numbers in the KHL last year (somewhat irrelevant as it's not against NHL caliber competition either)... but I'm favouring Nilsson over Scrivens taking into account the big picture.

Again it's probably not completely fair and there's some bias there against Scrivens (the player not the person as I really like Scrivens otherwise).

I wouldn't want to lose Nilsson on waivers... whereas losing Scrivens I could live with.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Scrivens didn't grab the reins last season the way I expected he would, and, to my untrained eye, Nilsson has performed better in preseason. I don't know that you need to retain salary in dealing Scrivens in the right situation. Someone's going to lose a goaltender to injury and be looking for his services.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
"Retained salary" seems to be a common theme when discussing trading the veteran contracts Craig MacTavish has saddled this team with:

1. Scrivens ($2.3 million)
  2. Purcell ($4.5 million)
  3. Nikitin ($4.5 million)
  4. Ference ($3.25 million)

This totals $14.55 million out of a total $71.4 million in cap space. So, about 20.4% of our total cap space is being wasted on deadwood who really don't belong in the NHL.

But, we'll be forced to keep most of these contracts due to the fact that even with a 50% retention, most of these players can't be moved.

Even at 100% retention on Nikitin and Purcell, I'd be surprised if there were any takers. :laugh:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
"Retained salary" seems to be a common theme when discussing trading the veteran contracts Craig MacTavish has saddled this team with:

This totals $14.55 million out of a total $71.4 million in cap space. So, about 20.4% of our total cap space is being wasted on deadwood who really don't belong in the NHL.

But, we'll be forced to keep most of these contracts due to the fact that even with a 50% retention, most of these players can't be moved.

Even at 100% retention on Nikitin and Purcell, I'd be surprised if there were any takers. :laugh:

Pay more attention.

Worse contracts have been moved. Almost nothing is "immovable", especially with no term.

BOUNCE

Jul 22, 2007
Edmonton

Just enough cash to sign Stamkos/Byfuglien this off season :laugh:

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

Yep... he was an awful GM. That's why we need some good young prospects on ELCs to play well while we wait for these contracts to expire.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Devil's Advocate for a moment...

Theoretically... let's say Chiarelli pulls off the trade of a lifetime and unloads

Scrivens+Nikitin+Purcell+Ference(agrees to the trade)... all for late draft picks and future considerations.

Now he starts the season with Nilsson+Reinhart+Slepyshev+Nurse on the roster as their replacements.

How many of us here would praise that remarkable trade BUT at the same time be thinking... wow that's a lot of unproven question marks to add to a team with already quite a few question marks.

There's something to be said for some veteran presence on a team that's already got a lot of youth.

For the record I'd do that deal and be ecstatic but my guess is that in the short term there would likely be a pretty big learning curve and some bumpy times in the win/loss column with that many new bodies dumped into the roster.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Theoretically... let's say Chiarelli pulls off the trade of a lifetime and unloads

Scrivens+Nikitin+Purcell+Ference(agrees to the trade)... all for late draft picks and future considerations.

Now he starts the season with Nilsson+Reinhart+Slepyshev+Nurse on the roster as their replacements.

How many of us here would praise that remarkable trade BUT at the same time be thinking... wow that's a lot of unproven question marks to add to a team with already quite a few question marks.

There's something to be said for some veteran presence on a team that's already got a lot of youth.

For the record I'd do that deal and be ecstatic but my guess is that in the short term there would likely be a pretty big learning curve and some bumpy times in the win/loss column with that many new bodies dumped into the roster.
Vet presense is find if the vets can stay afloat. Only vet of that group you managed that can is Purcell and occasionally Scrivens.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

Good point

An let's all remember that Nillson or Scrivens, we r still talking about a backup.

Slepyshev probably isn't as reliable as Purcell just yet.

Same goes for Ference vrs Nurse.

Tho, Reinhart is clearly better then Nikitin.

So 3 of the 4 arent such a big deal either way

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Good point

An let's all remember that Nillson or Scrivens, we r still talking about a backup.
What the hell are you talking about? Upgrading, regardless of position, is important. It matters that one is better then the other, or do you not remember Victor Fasth or Jason Labarbra?
Slepyshev probably isn't as reliable as Purcell just yet.
Probably, but that's not the issue, Purcell isn't a 4th liner, and isn't good enough to be in the top 9, being slightly better then Slepyshev is very bad for him.
Same goes for Ference vrs Nurse.
Nurse is better, without question, the question is he going to play regularly in the NHL or play top minutes in the AHL. Ference has little baring on Nurse.
Tho, Reinhart is clearly better then Nikitin.
Yes, he is and it's not that close.

So 3 of the 4 arent such a big deal either way
It's all a big deal, the team needs to BE Better, so just keeping guys who aren't good enough because of Contract or other such BS isn't the way this team should operate anymore.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

If no takers, then buy them out or waive them and they play in the minors for the duration of their contracts. These players will weigh down the team this year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Got to carry 3G to start now. Going to cost Gazdic a spot maybe

I don't see a reason to do that. If we waive Scrivens or Nilsson and they get claimed we still have Brossoit on the farm to do back-up duties/start the odd game on the big club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad