Confirmed Trade: [EDM/CHI] Duncan Keith and Tim Soderlund for Caleb Jones and Conditional 2nd/3rd round pick | Part 2

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
ya it kinda seems like a Chia type trade doesn’t it? But overpay with Jones and a mid rounder? Naaa

I've seen teams give away assets to get rid of a bad contract. Chicago managed to offload a bad contract with no retention while receiving some decent assets in return (one of whom could potentially be used to attract Seth Jones). Chicago wins this trade in a landslide and I don't see how someone could think otherwise.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Keith will help the Oilers. He's still a solid #4 D, but the value will come with leadership and experience. Something the Oilers really needed to bring in from outside.

Was under the impression that Neal was this guy?? Great locker room guy, playoff experience, on ice presence, a players player, well respected.

Must have been thinking about some one else.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Well this explanation may actually Vindicate Holland if Keith Retires or is bought out next year(22/23). It can create a $3.4 million dollar cap credit for the Oilers next season. If this is teh case then this is a great move as we can stack up on our UFA next year as the crop is way better.

If Keith were to retire after the 21-22 season: -#BlackHawks would have a $5.5M cap hit in 22-23 & a $2M cap hit 23-24 -#LetsGoOilers would lose his $5.5M actual cap hit in 22-23 & instead have a $3.4M negative cap hit (cap savings), for a swing of $8.9M

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I've seen teams give away assets to get rid of a bad contract. Chicago managed to offload a bad contract with no retention while receiving some decent assets in return (one of whom could potentially be used to attract Seth Jones). Chicago wins this trade in a landslide and I don't see how someone could think otherwise.
Maybe they didn't think it was a bad contract?

Reactions: ManByng

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Jones is a dime a dozen player. Every team has a guy like him, and they carry next to no value.

The downside for the Oilers is the cap used - not the assets they gave away.

There using Caleb's freed. Up cap plus putting klef on LTIR they will use that and it's basically a wash money wise but a experienced veteran who can still play and bring knowledge, leadership winning attitude work ethic to a young team.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Well this explanation may actually Vindicate Holland if Keith Retires or is bought out next year(22/23). It can create a $3.4 million dollar cap credit for the Oilers next season. If this is teh case then this is a great move as we can stack up on our UFA next year as the crop is way better.

If Keith were to retire after the 21-22 season: -#BlackHawks would have a $5.5M cap hit in 22-23 & a $2M cap hit 23-24 -#LetsGoOilers would lose his $5.5M actual cap hit in 22-23 & instead have a $3.4M negative cap hit (cap savings), for a swing of $8.9M

That's interesting. However keith is very loyal and chicago had no desire to trade keith until he approached the team asking to be closer to his son. So while anything is possible Keith isn't one to burn a bridge or ruin his great reputation and relationship with chicago.

Reactions: AzHawk

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
That's interesting. However keith is very loyal and chicago had no desire to trade keith until he approached the team asking to be closer to his son. So while anything is possible Keith isn't one to burn a bridge or ruin his great reputation and relationship with chicago.
If this is in fact how it works and there is a cap hit going to Chicago I am sure All parties(Chi, Edm and Keith) knew the potential consequences and more than likely they were part of the negotiations.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
I see a player that's going to fit perfectly, with all the leadership attributes and wall of accolades, his character and work ethic, Duncan Keith is an excellent ingredient for Edmonton. Honestly very excited to see the 2015 Conn Smythe MVP put on the orange and blue (or dark navy), and build chemistry with Leon and Connor as they progress throughout the season.

And to be honest, the no salary retention is not preferred, but it's not as dire as people are making it to be. The rumor prior to the trade, was 30-50% retention; let's say they agreed on 30%, which works out to be 3.87M from the 5.53M, which would be a savings of approximately 1.65M, for each of the next 2 years. Coming into the off season, if we include a buyout (Neal or Koskinen), Edmonton had nearly 30M in cap space. Are we really losing out sh*t for 1.65M savings in cap space for 2 years? Also can't forget Caleb was getting paid 850k, so now that's off the books as well.

But who would know the true value of this deal? The fans, no. The media, nope. The players? Bingo. Let's not forget, it was Duncan Keith's Blackhawks that eliminated the Oilers in their own city (covid bubble playoffs). They know him very well, and played him in a 4 game series just one year ago.
Both Elliot Freidman and Bob Stauffer (two reliable media sources when it comes to insider information), confirmed that the players found him difficult to deal with in the 2020 playoffs, and a core player stating this is exactly what they needed.

Making the case for Duncan Keith, and how Edmonton Oilers players feel about the trade | Edmonton JournalMaking the case for Duncan Keith, and how Edmonton Oilers players feel about the trade | Edmonton Journal

Friedman: Edmonton Oilers players said Duncan Keith was “difficult defensively” in Edmonton bubble

So, I'm pretty stoked about Duncan Keith coming to Oil country. And I find it embarrassing for our city, the negative reaction to this deal. Edmonton was his #1 destination (something that's nearly unheard of in this league); the 3 time Cup winner, 2015 playoff MVP and named Top 100 players of all time, wants to come here and help this team take that next step. Love it, and he's coming in at the perfect time, in McDavid and Draisaitl's prime and as the team continues to stride towards being a premier yearly contender.

images

Welcome to Edmonton Duncan Keith

This post reminds me of the Chiarelli excitement...

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
If this is in fact how it works and there is a cap hit going to Chicago I am sure All parties(Chi, Edm and Keith) knew the potential consequences and more than likely they were part of the negotiations.

Yeah keith and Hossa were both signed by Tallon and given those long contracts that were deemed legal then 2 years later some GM whined and that's when the nhl instituted that bs cap recapture penalty.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

This is humorous. Chicago did Keith a solid.by helping him out. The Hawks have plenty of cap. This move was all about helping Keith. It actually hurts the Hawks as they have tons of young D and lose a solid mentor.
Where you guys are wrong is claiming Keith sucks.
He played the hardest minutes with the worst D partners. He was counted on to cover for the influx of euro forwards getting used to the smaller ice and other kids up front adjusting to NHL speed.
Give him a fairly decent partner and 18 to 20 minutes a night and you folks will be pleased. Though I bet some of you will never admit it.

In the end, since cap wasn’t an issue for Chicago they down graded from a solid 2nd pair guy to a fringe 7th Dman and got a 3rd for it.
Do you really think he will screw over the team that did that? Where his number will one hang from the rafters?

Last edited:

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018

I don't think that's a fair or honest statement. Both teams received exactly what they wanted and agreed to thats why it happened. Your opinion that chicago somehow got the better of the deal is a opinion not based on any facts or a crystal clear argument.

Edmonton had many issues to address like a ld side lacking any stability and klef being out for the season possibly career ending a huge gap to fix. Also a lack of any veteran leadership and experience to help McDavid whom was begging for that.

Keith has many accomplishments and he is underpaid from a standpoint that his contract was given to him years ago to circumvent having to pay him more money yearly affecting chicago cap situation.

Keith at 37 can still skate and play his other many qualities you can't put a price on because very few players have achieved what he has.

Free agency is very expensive as well as trading for a younger d man like Seth Jones. Plus there is no magic bullet if doing so that guarantees you anything.

We have Keith's record and it's a great one to use for purposes of what he brings to edmonton.

Chicago had no intention on trading Keith it was Keith's request to be closer to his son. Therefore not retaining his reasonable salary for a 2 time Norris trophy winner who can still play only helps chicago future cap situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad