Confirmed Trade: [EDM/CHI] Duncan Keith and Tim Soderlund for Caleb Jones and Conditional 2nd/3rd round pick | Part 2

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Put me in the camp that could see Keith rebounding a bit in a new situation and a lessor role (i'm completely biased, admittedly). That being said, not getting the Hawks to retain or taking a contract back is really bad.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Those who are complaining have no clue what there talking about or just enjoy complaining either way if you took the time to look at your teams own needs and realized edmonton lacks veteran leadership and stability on there backend. Sure keith is 37 not 27 but those who know him understand he is in fantastic condition and shape , his knowledge, experience and leadership plus his work ethic and strong commitment to winning is exactly what edmonton needs .

Keith doesn't need to play 25 to 30 minutes a night but can easily stabilize the backend and slot up amd down were needed. His on ice and lock room presence will help these kids grow and mature plus McDavid and drai don't have to worry when keith is on the ice with odd man rushes. He can quarterback your power play effectively and kill penalties.

Has keith shown down sure he isn't 28 years old , however he can still skate and play effectively and won't be a liability for the team.

What edmonton gave up was a young player whom at best will be a 5 or 6th defenseman and klef being out for the season basically means keith salary is taking his place .

If keith was open to being traded anywhere plenty of gms would have jumped in trying to get keith.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Those who are complaining have no clue what there talking about or just enjoy complaining either way if you took the time to look at your teams own needs and realized edmonton lacks veteran leadership and stability on there backend. Sure keith is 37 not 27 but those who know him understand he is in fantastic condition and shape , his knowledge, experience and leadership plus his work ethic and strong commitment to winning is exactly what edmonton needs .

Keith doesn't need to play 25 to 30 minutes a night but can easily stabilize the backend and slot up amd down were needed. His on ice and lock room presence will help these kids grow and mature plus McDavid and drai don't have to worry when keith is on the ice with odd man rushes. He can quarterback your power play effectively and kill penalties.

Has keith shown down sure he isn't 28 years old , however he can still skate and play effectively and won't be a liability for the team.

What edmonton gave up was a young player whom at best will be a 5 or 6th defenseman and klef being out for the season basically means keith salary is taking his place .

If keith was open to being traded anywhere plenty of gms would have jumped in trying to get keith.
He will definitely be a guy that everyone in the dressing room will respect and shut up and listen to when he speaks. Probably something the Oilers really need. No one on this team has ever won as much as he has, he knows what it takes. It sounds like he keeps himself in good shape. I remember watching him in the Edmonton - Chicago series, the guy can definitely still skate and play. Lots of exaggerated nonsense and drama regarding his play in this thread, but the cap hit is certainly too high. Now personally I do not care that much, it is only 2 seasons, IF Holland is still able to make the other moves needed to take the team to the next level. It will be a really poor move if it hinders that. I think that is the issue most people have. I will reserve judgement based on the more important what else he does this offseason.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
He will definitely be a guy that everyone in the dressing room will respect and shut up and listen to when he speaks. Probably something the Oilers really need. No one on this team has ever won as much as he has, he knows what it takes. It sounds like he keeps himself in good shape. I remember watching him in the Edmonton - Chicago series, the guy can definitely still skate and play. Lots of exaggerated nonsense and drama regarding his play in this thread, but the cap hit is certainly too high. Now personally I do not care that much, it is only 2 seasons, IF Holland is still able to make the other moves needed to take the team to the next level. It will be a really poor move if it hinders that. I think that is the issue most people have. I will reserve judgement based on the more important what else he does this offseason.

Actually his cap hit is reasonable. Your avg defenseman who hasn't the pedigree of Keith's caliber is anywhere from 3.5 to 5 and for these younger high priced guys like Hamilton or Jones your talking 8 plus million and or lots of assets to give up.

Once people realize his salary isn't ridiculous compared to what free agency gets you in return Keith's value is alot higher in many different ways.

You can't use free agency to buy a cup you need assets from your farm team to step up and play certain roles.

Chicago had Campbell and sopel on the backend when keith won his 1st cup. Veteran leadership is key

Reactions: COHawk

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Actually his cap hit is reasonable. Your avg defenseman who hasn't the pedigree of Keith's caliber is anywhere from 3.5 to 5 and for these younger high priced guys like Hamilton or Jones your talking 8 plus million and or lots of assets to give up.

Once people realize his salary isn't ridiculous compared to what free agency gets you in return Keith's value is alot higher in many different ways.

You can't use free agency to buy a cup you need assets from your farm team to step up and play certain roles.

Chicago had Campbell and sopel on the backend when keith won his 1st cup. Veteran leadership is key
Well he is not currently a 5.5m defenseman and the Oilers have more critical needs. If they cannot improve their forwards and goaltending a left shot 2nd pair d-man (No matter who it is) is not going to help move the needle enough. So as I said I can live with the deal as long as it does not hinder their ability to improve the other teams needs. Holland still has a lot of work to do.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Well he is not currently a 5.5m defenseman and the Oilers have more critical needs. If they cannot improve their forwards and goaltending a left shot 2nd pair d-man (No matter who it is) is not going to help move the needle enough. So as I said I can live with the deal as long as it does not hinder their ability to improve the other teams needs. Holland still has a lot of work to do.

People keep saying this, but our 2nd line left defense slot was a major weakness last year. They have a lot of holes to fill right now, but based on last season alone, 2nd pair LD was probably our 2nd biggest weakness after top six LW. We still have plenty of holes, and we could possibly have filled it for cheaper, but we could possibly have struck out via free agency and been left with no improvement. At least we have improvement of a big hole over last year.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
People keep saying this, but our 2nd line left defense slot was a major weakness last year. They have a lot of holes to fill right now, but based on last season alone, 2nd pair LD was probably our 2nd biggest weakness after top six LW. We still have plenty of holes, and we could possibly have filled it for cheaper, but we could possibly have struck out via free agency and been left with no improvement. At least we have improvement of a big hole over last year.
It is certainly a need and Keith does improve that but the Oilers lost to the Jets in the playoffs because they couldn't score, not because of who their 2nd pairing left defenseman was. It is not the most critical need or even top 3 as far as I am concerned. Until Larsson is signed a right handed d-man, a top six winger, and a third line center will improve the team more than a second pairing d-man. Even goaltending is possibly a bigger concern at this point. We can disagree on that but the real issue is how many things the Oilers actually need to legitimately compete in the playoffs. So spending 5.5 M on a left handed second pairing d-man that is past his prime is a concern with so many areas the team can use improvement. As I said though I am not as concerned with this one move as I am with what is accomplished in total this offseason.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It is certainly a need and Keith does improve that but the Oilers lost to the Jets in the playoffs because they couldn't score, not because of who their 2nd pairing left defenseman was. It is not the most critical need or even top 3 as far as I am concerned. Until Larsson is signed a right handed d-man, a top six winger, and a third line center will improve the team more than a second pairing d-man. Even goaltending is possibly a bigger concern at this point. We can disagree on that but the real issue is how many things the Oilers actually need to legitimately compete in the playoffs. So spending 5.5 M on a left handed second pairing d-man that is past his prime is a concern with so many areas the team can use improvement. As I said though I am not as concerned with this one move as I am with what is accomplished in total this offseason.

I agree that a top six LW would be the biggest hole to fill, but 3C may not be. 2LD was a huge hole last year. As was 3C. I put them on par for importance, but it costs more for a 2LD than a 3C.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I agree that a top six LW would be the biggest hole to fill, but 3C may not be. 2LD was a huge hole last year. As was 3C. I put them on par for importance, but it costs more for a 2LD than a 3C.
Fair enough, point being though for 5.5 m he better be a really good one. I will let his play determine that. If the Oilers can fill some of there other needs his 5.5 over 2 seasons won't be as much of an issue. I like Keith I think he will add a fair bit to the team and he does improve the second pairing, but hopefully that much cap invested in it is worth it. If he was the only questionable cap hit the team had it would be a non issue for most I think.

Bond

May 10, 2012
What about goalies? That is the biggest hole I see on the Oilers.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Oilers aren't a contender, and this doesn't help them contend. What it does do, is give their young dmen someone to learn from and to take on the harder minutes. Good deal if it works, but it clearly signals that the team is at least 2 years away from doing anything significant.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018

Playoff hockey is a game of inches , keith stabilizes Edmonton's backend and allows McDavid and drai to not have to worry won't odd man rushes with keith on the ice.
Scoring has to come from all 4 lines plus your defense. Keith offensive side will help out bringing it from the backend.

Klef is out for the season , bringing in keith secures a top 4 defenseman who eats up that cap space klef was taking up.

Remember Keith's strong work ethic and winning attitude along with his knowledge and leadership will help those kids and nurse become better players.

McDavid and drai will have to learn to step up and score big time goals but nevertheless the bottom pairing 6 will need to contribute nightly as well

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Oilers aren't a contender, and this doesn't help them contend. What it does do, is give their young dmen someone to learn from and to take on the harder minutes. Good deal if it works, but it clearly signals that the team is at least 2 years away from doing anything significant.

They could be , they have alot of talent just need some leadership and a strong voice to help push them further. Chemistry and believing in each other goes a long way.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010

You literally just undid your argument

People don't have a problem with Keith. People have a problem with Holland getting completely destroyed on the trade and not understanding value.

You say "if Keith was open to be traded anywhere..." THAT IS THE POINT. There were NO other teams involved, therefore Holland could have played hard ball, waited it out, and forced them to either keep Keith or retain salary.

I don't mind Keith at all as a player or leader. I just mind that Holland didn't do his job.

You keep confusing the complaints on this board with Keith hate. It's not that at all. It is Holland hate.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
yep….
upload_2021-7-13_16-49-51.png

Reactions: DarksideGhost

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Different GM, same message. Past Stanley Cups = Future Stanley Cups.

I think it actually hurts Holland when says the word "analytics." To these dinosaur GMs, it's almost a cuss word.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
The eye test is saying he is. He was played in a role he shouldn't have been in with changing rookie partners.
yep... Keith is still a 2nd pairing guy that will play good in a 2nd pairing role.

I'm calling it one of the better moves EDM has pulled off in the last 1-2-3 years. They needed to break the losing culture and only can do it paying for some players coming from winning cultures/teams.

People really overrate players that have won Cups in the past and winning culture like its some kind of good luck charm. Getting a vet like Keith who has won is nice but its needs to be a cheap depth signing only. This move makes it look like the Oilers are going to rely on Keith playing a major role. They need to focus bringing good players first and than signing vets who have Cup experience.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Holland did not win this trade. But really, if there was 2M retained on Keith this trade looks pretty even. Jones is not a NHLer, good potential but can't execute worth shit. So it's really a nothing prospect in that regard. The 3rd is, well just a 3rd. So it's really only the 2M that people are getting worked up over. In terms of the fit for the Oilers it's actually really good. Klefbom is on LTIR and may never play again, that leaves a huge hole at LD. Keith fills that hole and is on a short contract so he doesn't block any prospects we have like Samarukov or Broberg from taking over later on. Oilers need a bit more experience on the back end, if you watched any of the last 2 playoffs series, defensive mistakes (mostly due to nerves and inexperience) cost the Oilers dearly. Keith will bring a calming presence back there and will provide Tippet a pairing he can trust so we won't have to overplay Nurse. Oilers also need in general just a lot more grit and will to win. Keith helps there too.

Alot of people are saying stuff like Keith's corpse or Keith's done. He's definitely not done, but declined. Hawks fans will tell you he can still play but not at a 1st pairing level. Oilers have Nurse ahead of him so Keith can get slotted in the right spot. Keith can still skate, still has a great stick, and his hockey IQ is still elite. I say his offense ticks upward on the Oilers too, from what I see lately of Keith he still has a really quick outlet pass. He'll get points just feeding McDrai ala Barrie.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Even though Keith likely only has 3-4 more seasons in him as a top pairing dman, he brings championship pedigree to the Oilers blueline and that's something Edmonton hasn't had since Chris Pronger 16 years ago. Oilers defense is 1000x better today than they were a few days ago. Keith likely plays with Bear.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Even though Keith likely only has 3-4 more seasons in him as a top pairing dman, he brings championship pedigree to the Oilers blueline and that's something Edmonton hasn't had since Chris Pronger 16 years ago. Oilers defense is 1000x better today than they were a few days ago. Keith likely plays with Bear.
He’s not currently a top pairing D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad