Confirmed Trade: [EDM/CHI] Duncan Keith and Tim Soderlund for Caleb Jones and Conditional 2nd/3rd round pick | Part 2

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I just don't see the point to it for the Oilers, other than mentorship qualities.

I know the incredible impact Mats Sundin had on the Canucks his brief year there. That was a move that got a lot of heat initially due to the contract he was offered, but paid dividends for the development of the players around him.

Does Keith bring that same quality? If he does, I think this move is worth it, unironically.

If he doesn't, it doesn't make much sense.

Daemar

Sep 13, 2011
Edmonton
It's just so hard to be an Oilers fan. We get to the point where Chia's contracts are about to expire.... then Chia 2.0, i mean Holland, goes and does this.
He's been trading away draft picks and we're still a #1 goalie, #1 dman, 1LW, 3C, and an actual 4th line away from even thinking about contending.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
3a7.jpg

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Keith's time has passed. It's not disrespectful to admit that.

This is a seriously shitty deal for the Oilers.
Keith isnt the defenseman he was 5 years ago, but he is still a very useful top 4 dman by the eye test. He is excellent defending through the neutral zone still. His stick is still sharp. He wont score many goals or knock a bunch of guys off the puck but he'll be effective if he plays ~18 minutes a night.

Edit - im not sure whether this was bad value wise because i havent seen Edmonton play much, but people are seriously been underselling keith. Oilers fans claim Jones isnt much of anything, a 3rd isnt all that much in the long run either. This could be a good deal for the oilers if they make the right moves with cap space they have left.

Teamcanada

May 24, 2008
As weird as it sounds, but after the Klefbom update and the info about Keith’s retirement cap recapture/relief, this deal is starting to make a lot more sense to me.

Klefbom (ltir) + Jones = Keith’s cap hit as a wash; so you can still do whatever you want as before but with certainty that you have a top 4 dman.

Getting Jones off the oilers list forces Seattle to take someone with term and cap or a lower level prospect.

Sign Larsson after the ED

Buyout Neal and Koskinen if you need to sign everyone else you want.

At the end of the day, you are able to do whatever you had planned to do all along but with some certainty and if the Keith experiment sucks this year, he likely retires and you gain almost 9 mill in cap due to recapture. I think Holland may have fallen ass backwards into big braining this.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Seriously, Holland didn't need to make this trade. Smells like a desperate move.

5.5mil Keith - 4.1mil Klefbom= 1.4mil

It's safe to say Klefbom most likely isn't playing this year and Holland is thinking Keith is really only costing 1.4 mil.

:badidea:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Keith isnt the defenseman he was 5 years ago, but he is still a very useful top 4 dman by the eye test. He is excellent defending through the neutral zone still. His stick is still sharp. He wont score many goals or knock a bunch of guys off the puck but he'll be effective if he plays ~18 minutes a night.

Edit - im not sure whether this was bad value wise because i havent seen Edmonton play much, but people are seriously been underselling keith. Oilers fans claim Jones isnt much of anything, a 3rd isnt all that much in the long run either. This could be a good deal for the oilers if they make the right moves with cap space they have left.

No he's not lol

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Edmonton clearly loses here. Could have been better. Should have been better. No way Keith should have been traded without retention or a dump going back. But it's not the worst trade ever. Won't even be the worst trade this offseason. People here are bored

Presumably things fell through with Larsson and he won't be back in Edmonton? If it was because of penny pinching than this trade is awful. If he wanted to test the waters, this is meh

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
I don't see how so many people are hating on this move, okay he's overpaid but he is just what the Oilers need on the blueline and fills a spot they have been missing since they lost Petry. They give up very little except the cap space to pay him. Unless you want to speculate about what else they may or may not have done with the cap space they are a better team than they were before the trade.

OilersCoffeeArtBeer

Jun 7, 2021
Seattle
Oilers are still gonna sign Larsson.
Holloway will be on the roster to start the year.
Hall will be on the Oilers.
Oilers will be fine.
If Keith retires after one year though, look out Chicago...

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don't see how so many people are hating on this move, okay he's overpaid but he is just what the Oilers need on the blueline and fills a spot they have been missing since they lost Petry. They give up very little except the cap space to pay him. Unless you want to speculate about what else they may or may not have done with the cap space they are a better team than they were before the trade.

What, another third pairing dman?

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
That's Kenny's special. Enjoy him in Edmonton :) I can't explain in words how happy I am that this guy is no longer in charge in Detroit.

This guy inherited team built by Devellano 90s, got his 3 cups, then got lucky in the draft with Datsuyk and Zetterberg (thanks to Hakan scouting them) and got one more cup, and missed the time for rebuild in 2012-2015. What a career.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
DK will be great for about 15 games. Then he will be horrible.

If they rest him easy minutes until the playoffs, the Oilers might have something with a determined DK trying to get one last Cup....but I really don't know if the Oilers are a playoff team in a normal season.

Bowman with a fleece here.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Oilers fans don't care that much about Jones and a 3rd, it's just whether they want to pour another $5m into the D when the forward depth is looking like the much bigger issue.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Without retention this is just a bad trade. For a team that wants to hit the salary floor this trade would be fine but the Oilers ? No really. Keith is worth the actual money he's paid but not his caphit. He takes up too much cap and that will hurt the Oilers chance to aquire other players.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
As weird as it sounds, but after the Klefbom update and the info about Keith’s retirement cap recapture/relief, this deal is starting to make a lot more sense to me.

Klefbom (ltir) + Jones = Keith’s cap hit as a wash; so you can still do whatever you want as before but with certainty that you have a top 4 dman.

Getting Jones off the oilers list forces Seattle to take someone with term and cap or a lower level prospect.

Sign Larsson after the ED

Buyout Neal and Koskinen if you need to sign everyone else you want.

At the end of the day, you are able to do whatever you had planned to do all along but with some certainty and if the Keith experiment sucks this year, he likely retires and you gain almost 9 mill in cap due to recapture. I think Holland may have fallen ass backwards into big braining this.
If you didn't make this lopsided trade for Keith, you'd have even more cap room. If you didn't want Jones, Seattle would have taken him anyway and you'd still retain your draft pick.

Betcha anything you could get a better younger d-man than Keith.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
DK will be great for about 15 games. Then he will be horrible.

If they rest him easy minutes until the playoffs, the Oilers might have something with a determined DK trying to get one last Cup....but I really don't know if the Oilers are a playoff team in a normal season.

Bowman with a fleece here.

I think you’re overestimating Jones a bit here. He’s not that good and the Oilers have plenty of good young d-men coming up that could replace him ! o_O

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad