Confirmed with Link: [EDM/CHI] Caggiula + Garrison for Manning + Norell

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
This is just an indefensible trade on every level. It's unhealthy how upset I am about it.

I also hate the Petrovic trade but at least you can understand the reasoning behind they wanted to make that move.

Reactions: Aerrol

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Gravel is just as good if not better than Manning and makes 1.5 million less too. The move was so unnecessary, especially given that he just traded for Petrovic right before that too.

Reactions: ujju2

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Chiarelli must be so confused right now why Hitch is player Gravel over Manning. Maybe we'll see a "Moneyball" move where Gravel is traded/waved so Manning is forced into the line-up.
Well one of Hitch or PC should be confused.

I had no issue with the trade if they talked about things first. Just seems weird to grab two guys now with Russel back and Klef a couple weeks away.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Manning and Spooner both scratched. Nice $5M pressbox party.

Can't the ****ing management and coaches talk about this before they make the stupid trades.

100% Hitch would be playing Strome. Not sure he was sold on Drake though.

I guess being sellers at the deadline might help get rid of those 2.

Problem is, it’s hard to get rid of players with term at the deadline. We should be able to get rid of them next year at the deadline when teams are looking for extra depth, but I don’t see how we get rid of them before that.

The only option I really see is buy out Spooner and bury Manning. Unless you can get a team to take either with a max of 1 million retained. A buyout of Spooner would essentially cost the savings from having Manning in the minors, but it still frees up 3 million to try and get a middle 6er to help out our pathetic depth forwards.

Lucic, Manning, Spooner, Pouliot and Gryba buyouts are about $13MM.

You could have two excellent complementary wingers and an adequate 3rd line C for $13MM

The depressing thing about that is the only player in the lineup right now is Lucic. So we could have Lucic, or Tavares...

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Gravel is just as good if not better than Manning and makes 1.5 million less too. The move was so unnecessary, especially given that he just traded for Petrovic right before that too.

He’s definitely better. It’s not even debatable. Gravel is a 6/7. Manning is a 7 AT BEST. It makes you wondering if it was a Finger situation (Toronto accidentally signed Jeff Finger when they meant to sign Kurt Sauer) where he somehow legitimately thought he was getting a different dman?

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
He’s definitely better. It’s not even debatable. Gravel is a 6/7. Manning is a 7 AT BEST. It makes you wondering if it was a Finger situation (Toronto accidentally signed Jeff Finger when they meant to sign Kurt Sauer) where he somehow legitimately thought he was getting a different dman?

No he knew who he was after and wanted Manning for a long time from when he was in Philly. Problem was, Manning was playing with Gudas, who carried the pair but Clever Pete thought it Manning was the straw that stirred the drink.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
No he knew who he was after and wanted Manning for a long time from when he was in Philly. Problem was, Manning was playing with Gudas, who carried the pair but Clever Pete thought it Manning was the straw that stirred the drink.

I know he said he’s been after him a while. I’m wondering if he somehow watched the pairing and got the players switched up or something. Credit Manning for what Gudas did... you can’t tell me there’s any other reason why an NHL GM would think they should acquire Manning at this point

Reactions: oilers2k10

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I know he said he’s been after him a while. I’m wondering if he somehow watched the pairing and got the players switched up or something. Credit Manning for what Gudas did... you can’t tell me there’s any other reason why an NHL GM would think they should acquire Manning at this point

Because he's an idiot who can't assess talent?

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Manning a healthy scratch? Who could have seen this coming?

I swear Chia is on the Flames' payroll and is sabotaging this team from the inside.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This is just an indefensible trade on every level. It's unhealthy how upset I am about it.

I also hate the Petrovic trade but at least you can understand the reasoning behind they wanted to make that move.

A true sign of an unbelievably bad trade is when everybody from fans to media even the biggest shill masters are perplexed it.

The worst thing is that his salary will be on the books for another 2 years because you just know that they are buying him out in the offseason as well as Spooner unless the new GM can pull a few tricks out of his hat.

Reactions: nabob and Aerrol

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Why are some people in this thread actually justifying why Chiarelli "might" have made this trade. It's indefensible.Gravel is a much better defender in almost every aspect. Manning is also signed past this year ? the guy can't judge talent. It should be painfully obvious by now. Manning is not a good defenseman. Petrovic can maybe play as a number 6. Manning does not belong on an NHL roster. These is a garbage trade for other team's garbage in hopes that they find their way with the Oilers.

It's kind of like how 75 % of our roster is built. Pickups, castoffs, lost trades. :laugh:

guy makes millions to construct an NHL team, and this is what we get.

Then he comes up with reasons that defy logic.

" other teams won't help us"
" we don't have any defenseman that can pass "

of course goof. Thats why your paid millions to wheel and deal.

Reactions: harpoon

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Catching Up

"I’ve been told by a very reliable source that at one point over the last two years Chiarelli actually had a deal in place to acquire Manning. He was ready to pull the trigger but his coaching staff told him not to do it. I don’t know what that deal was but I find it fascinating he has wanted Manning for so long and was told by his last coaching staff the player wasn’t worth picking up. Looks like they were right."

"I also snagged this quote from an NHL Scout shortly after the Manning deal was made. “I have no idea what Peter is hoping to accomplish with Manning. He’s a fringe bottom pairing d-man on his best day.”"

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

At least Petrovic was good two years ago, and is a big RH shot with a tinkers chance in hell of being an upgrade from Benning. If he didnt work out, who cares? He’s UFA at end of season.
Who on Gods green Earth thought Manning was a smart add? Just Chia, and apparently he’s been sporting a chubby for him for over a year. FML.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Catching Up

"I’ve been told by a very reliable source that at one point over the last two years Chiarelli actually had a deal in place to acquire Manning. He was ready to pull the trigger but his coaching staff told him not to do it. I don’t know what that deal was but I find it fascinating he has wanted Manning for so long and was told by his last coaching staff the player wasn’t worth picking up. Looks like they were right."

"I also snagged this quote from an NHL Scout shortly after the Manning deal was made. “I have no idea what Peter is hoping to accomplish with Manning. He’s a fringe bottom pairing d-man on his best day.”"
This was confirmed by Chiarelli himself. He said he talked to McDavid last year about having Manning on the team, when a trade was being discussed with Philadelphia.

Imagine chasing Brandon Manning for two years. f***.

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
If you had told me two weeks ago that the Oilers were not only interested in acquiring Brandon Manning, but were willing to give up actual assets for him, I would've told you, "Yes, our GM is Peter Chiarelli, that makes perfect sense."

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010

NHL GM that shouldn't be a gm at all.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
The only reasonable explanation for the trade is that Peter Chiarelli secretly hates Connor McDavid, and is attempting to ruin his life. This actually makes more sense when you look at the roster construction.
Or he's trolling the rest of the Oilers management

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
There has to be a clause in Chia's contract that he can make all trade decisions without anyone's interference including the owner. That's the only explanation I see that these garbage trades are allowed and continue to happen.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Could be that Chia wants outta here at this point... doesn't need this high pressure shit any more and just wants to sail off into the sunset after being fired with the rest of the money that's owed to him on his contract (pretty substantial sum no doubt).

So he makes what should be the a clearly idiotic indefensible trade to "fix" the team.

But damned if the management group above him didn't call his bluff and fire him... and instead told him... nice try... you made this f***ing mess... you are going to sit right here up to your bald head in this shit until the very end.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Day after the trade Gregor asks Chia about Manning over Gravel and Chia, quite defensively, makes it very clear that he thinks Manning is a better and more proven defender and this would be an upgrade.

Only took Hitch 3 games before he saw enough to disagree.

I'm sure Manning will get further opportunities but right now this has got to be one of the most embarrassing trades I can recall seeing. There are definitely worse deals Chia has made. But this one really demonstrates how far removed from reality he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad