Confirmed with Link: [EDM/CHI] Caggiula + Garrison for Manning + Norell

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Day after the trade Gregor asks Chia about Manning over Gravel and Chia, quite defensively, makes it very clear that he thinks Manning is a better and more proven defender and this would be an upgrade.

Only took Hitch 3 games before he saw enough to disagree.

I'm sure Manning will get further opportunities but right now this has got to be one of the most embarrassing trades I can recall seeing. There are definitely worse deals Chia has made. But this one really demonstrates how far removed from reality he is.

So the question becomes does he just not have an eye for talent, or is it a combo of him and the pro scouts?

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
So the question becomes does he just not have an eye for talent, or is it a combo of him and the pro scouts?
It would be mind-blowing to me if there weren't/aren't people in the organisation who need to be consulted and/or sign off on these things. If Chia is really doing whatever he wants then this organisation is no better than a hotdog stand.

This is not to excuse Chia, this Manning trade is the tipping point for me (well, a bit before this actually but this sealed it). But I also want to see the management group explain why they either signed off on this move or why they are incompetent enough to let an organisation like this be run by a one-man-show.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
You forgot to add "trying to desperately save his job" as another option.

Except he's failing at even that. Saving his job? Sure doesn't seem like it. His last 3 trades have been horrible.. giving even more reasons to fire his ass.

Reactions: Consultant

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Except he's failing at even that. Saving his job? Sure doesn't seem like it. His last 3 trades have been horrible.. giving even more reasons to fire his ass.

I agree, but in his mind, he thinks giving out any type of asset or draft pick is going to save his ass. I'm very concerned that he will now start to go up the pecking order (better players traded and higher picks than a 3rd) to get more pieces for the present, and screw the future at the same time.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Friend of a friend of a friend said Drake was a cancer in the room and was actively trying to injure McDavid in practices to end his career out of jealousy. So Chia had to trade from a position of weakness. :sarcasm:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Friend of a friend of a friend said Drake was a cancer in the room and was actively trying to injure McDavid in practices to end his career out of jealousy. So Chia had to trade from a position of weakness. :sarcasm:

Was that the same guy that said the Oilers were out boozing and carousing all night before their game against the Kings?:sarcasm::laugh:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Absolutely embarrassing. Media should be all over Chia on this.

You acquire a defenseman who you think will help and he's already being healthy scratched. Meanwhile you lost a forward capable of scoring once in a while and added cap.

Pathetic manager.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It bothered me that he acquired 2 more bottom pairing dmen, who really are not any better than what we have there. And that's not giving Benning any kudos, believe me. With Russell coming back shortly before the trades were made, we should have sat tight. Jones is better than the lot of them, already.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Benning in - Petro out. It's official...Manning is at best #9 on the depth chart. It's been less than 30 days. Maybe we can appeal to these sites and get this deal reversed:

Your rights when returning faulty goods - mygov.scot

Consumer Rights

I wish... I said when the trade happened, he’s at best 10th on the depth chart (counting Bouchard since we’re stuck with Manning another year). I wish I was proven wrong, but it’s obvious Manning isn’t even better than the guys we can call up from the minors...

Reactions: MessierII

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It bothered me that he acquired 2 more bottom pairing dmen, who really are not any better than what we have there. And that's not giving Benning any kudos, believe me. With Russell coming back shortly before the trades were made, we should have sat tight. Jones is better than the lot of them, already.

Petrovic at least made sense though, setting aside the price paid. He’s better than Wideman, and helps in the short term if nothing else. It’s not fair to lump the two trades together. One made us slightly better. The other made us a fair bit worse, and hurt our cap situation

Reactions: Drivesaitl

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don't get how he gave up Caggiula for a d man he knows has been healthy scratched regularly.
At least if manning was on a 1 year it would have cleared cap space this summer as drake was also signed for next year but it just doesn’t make any sense.

North

Jun 25, 2009
At least if manning was on a 1 year it would have cleared cap space this summer as drake was also signed for next year but it just doesn’t make any sense.

He probably thought he was getting a deal because he's wanted Manning for so long.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Absolutely everybody panned the Manning deal right from the minute it was announced and all we’ve seen since then is absolute confirmation that everyone here was right, and that jackass GM was wrong. Again.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Absolutely everybody panned the Manning deal right from the minute it was announced and all we’ve seen since then is absolute confirmation that everyone here was right, and that jackass GM was wrong. Again.

Yep. Manning and Norel. As if some unknown player nobody even knows is going to reverse the appearance of trading an energy forward that can score some goals and support offense for Manning who can't play NHL hockey.

Reactions: MessierII

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

I've been saying this for a while now, but would love to have known how different bthe team would have looked if every move Chiarelli made could have been put to a poll on HFOil and veto'd if under 50% approval

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Have to fire Chia if he continues to make horrible nothing trade . Manning is the last guy I would ever trade for. The stupidity continues.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Manning will play the next game, 2 out of the next 3 according to Hitch pre-game presser yesterday.
Apparently he has been scratched because he needed to calm down and not try to do too much.

That said, when asked about him Hitch did not look very comfortable answering imo...

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Manning will play the next game, 2 out of the next 3 according to Hitch pre-game presser yesterday.
Apparently he has been scratched because he needed to calm down and not try to do too much.

That said, when asked about him Hitch did not look very comfortable answering imo...

Chia is probably giving Hitch shit for scratching him and saying he has to play now to not make him look bad.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Jesus H. Christ, we now have 11 defenseman once Klef and Sekera come back. Wtf. Traded away our 4th most productive forward, since he joined Edmonton, on a team starving for secondary scoring, for a nothing d-man that is ridiculously overpaid, adding to our cap hit which is already touching the ceiling.
I loved Drake, he struggles defensively at times, but he's alot better than Gambardella who played 2+ minutes last night.

Chia is like that gamer that just button mashes hoping for the best, every once in a while will fluke out a decent move and be proud of it.
Get lost, you're done as a GM in hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad