Confirmed with Link: [EDM/CHI] Caggiula + Garrison for Manning + Norell

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by Cloned, Dec 30, 2018.

1. slaman

slaman McOilers Fan

I honestly do not understand what Chia was thinking... I can't explain it.

1. He was desperate to get rid of Caggs... he could have gotten literally ANYTHING else (e.g. picks, anything more than a #9 d-man)
    2. He really liked Manning...the guy who intentionally injured McDavid, has been healthy-scratched, and still has a year left on his contract.

I'm just at a loss for words.

2. BudBundy

BudBundy Registered User

If Manning and Spooner were put on waivers, would anyone claim them? Honest question.

ujju2 likes this.
  3. NeverForget06

NeverForget06 Chia is poison.

Nope! Not at their respective cap hits.

4. CantHaveTkachev

CantHaveTkachev he scored

of course not

how he's allowed to keep his job defies logic

MikeGrier99 and Pez68 like this.
  5. GreatKeith

GreatKeith Only In Last Every Regular Season

Accountant
    There's only one reason and it's the same as why McLellan wasn't fired earlier. It's because firing Chiarelli exposes his bosses to scrutiny.

Chiarelli is a bum for sure but the organization shouldn't dangle him like this.

Aerrol and LaGu like this.
  6. Mitts

Mitts ERROR 520

Flames fan, coming in peace, was gonna post on main board, but don't see any threads about Manning getting sent down. Honestly my first reaction when I heard the trade that Chia traded for him, was that he did it so he could banish him to the minors, as some kinda revenge. Crazy, I know, but I think back to what the Habs tried to do to John Scott before the all star game. Nothing makes sense with this trade, and I know what I say sounds crazy, probably is, it just makes no sense to trade for that trash.

7. Fourier

Fourier Registered User

A small unknown fact about a guy on a two-way going to the minors. Salary earned in the AHL is not subject to escrow so the player actually gets a minor pay raise by going to the minors.

Bottom line is there is no explanation for this trade. The Petrovic deal made some sense at least. This trade was flat out brutal!!!!

8. oobga

oobga Tier 2 Fan

This sounds really bad. We need to wipe out this management team completely ASAP

FEATURE: Caggiula settling in with simple game

I don't even know what that means because he is obviously trying not to say anything specific, but I can't think of any way to take that aside from more proof this org is friggin toxic.

Maybe it's just coaching he's talking about? He's on a team full of multi-cup winners, it's not like he's gonna get away with not putting defensive effort in to please his coaches/peers for Chicago. I'm not so sure this is about coaching, this sounds like it's something he needed management to come to him to clear his mind about, that they were not going to be putting specific pressures on him. All these glory days Oilers egos floating around this org now. I'm not sure I want to know how involved these guys are off the ice.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    MikeGrier99 and Aerrol like this.
  9. oobga

oobga Tier 2 Fan

The more important part of that article is probably how Chicago has wanted Caggiula forever. Somehow they dumped a terrible contract on us in the process of getting a player they coveted.

Chia is so bad at negotiating... We pay teams to take their cap dumps.

10. Mitts

Mitts ERROR 520

Wow, there goes that theory, really doesn't make sense. Completely agree.

11. BoldNewLettuce

BoldNewLettuce Esquire

Didnt read

TB12 and MikeGrier99 like this.
  12. North

North Registered User

Remember when he first signed and instead of playing him on wing where he was comfortable they tried to turn him into a centre?

Keep in mind he had been bumped all around the lineup here and had no idea exactly what they wanted because they didn’t just let him settle into one role. It’s still an issue now. I know Spooner isn’t great but they’ve moved him all over the place as well without letting him get comfortable in one spot.

Having said that, I still don’t think Caggiula’s going to amount to much beyond a bottom six player but maybe if left there he could become effective.

Oilhawks and Aerrol like this.
  13. oobga

oobga Tier 2 Fan

My wild speculation would be that the org (above coaching) were pressuring him to try to become a Marchand or Andrew Shaw for the team. A guy that is running around agitating all night long. And even though he can be feisty, that kind of constant pest mentality just is not in his personality.

Aerrol likes this.
  14. slaman

slaman McOilers Fan

What's crazy is that we also got a player that Chia coveted for many years.... but his name is Manning. Chia has such a terrible perspective on what a "good" player looks like.

oobga likes this.
  15. oobga

oobga Tier 2 Fan

lol! That's true. Chia probably popped the champagne after the deal was done. 1 year of work to try to get Manning finally came to fruition.

16. Rick C137

Rick C137 Registered User

I posted it in the blackhawks trade thread but I really think Chia was negotiating against himself here. Everyone around the league knew the Blackhawks had a logjam of bottom pairing defenders and had to move one or two out now that everyone was healthy (Murphy and Forsling started the year on IR). They sent Jokiharju to the WJC to buy them a little more time. With Jokiharju at the WJC they had 7 rostered defenseman with one of their D still out and returning soon. The hawks NEEDED to move out a defenseman before Jokiharju got back from the WJC. There were plenty of articles from Chicago beats saying they were aggressively trying to move Manning but it would probably cost to move that contract.

We were all pleasantly surprised that not only did we not have to pay to move Manning but that we got a peice of some value that Stan has been chasing for awhile. I have no idea why Chia diddnt just wait a few more days until Stan’s hands were tied. Chia legitimately had all the leverage here. I can’t imagine Stan received close to that offer from anyone else. Just horrible negotiating.

Really feel for you guys and hope something is done about your management group soon. Always had a soft spot for the Oilers and it’s a damn shame that the best player in the NHL is getting his prime wasted because of incompetence from management.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair and oobga like this.
  17. SavesFromKosko

SavesFromKosko Registered User

Of coarse Cags isn’t walking on egg shells when he is on a team not on the playoff bubble and every Chicago fan was just pumped to shed Manning. If he continues to get no points I’m sure he will feel the squeeze.

Oilhawks likes this.
  18. McRobbiezyg

McRobbiezyg Registered User

Which is really sad because our pro scouts are constantly dropping the ball

MikeGrier99 likes this.
  19. SavesFromKosko

SavesFromKosko Registered User

I don’t get how the “ pro scouts” thought he was good player meanwhile 99% of just regular fans could have told chia otherwise.

MikeGrier99 likes this.
  20. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher Boys are back in town

Maybe hes trying to get fired.
    **** lets hope its soon before he distroys us any more.

Spooner and Manning should get everyone fired. FFS

21. Shathar

Shathar Registered User

They probably have Miss Cleo on retainer.

Today, you will bump into a player's father in the bathroom. Draft him.

MarkusNaslund19 and Del Preston like this.
  22. oobga

oobga Tier 2 Fan

The more I think about it, the more I feel those 2 contracts basically guarantee next year is another lost season, at best squeaking into a wildcard spot to lose in playoffs because we have no good depth.

It's going to be almost impossible to move on from those 2 contracts that are eating ~5.3M, to go along with the 6M wasted on Lucic, plus 1.66M on buyouts. So much wasted cap space that we can't free up next year, unless we start tossing away our good picks.

If I didn't know better, I'd think this was Chia putting in an insurance policy to try to make sure his replacement looks bad next year if he's fired, so he has a better chance to get another job.

MikeGrier99 likes this.
  23. McJadeddog

McJadeddog Registered User

Chia, and the rest of the OBC, couldn't negotiate with a toddler and come out ahead in the deal. They would somehow end up agreeing to a lifetime supply of chocolate milk in order to get the kid to stop eating crayons.

MarkusNaslund19 likes this.
  24. Multigrain

Multigrain Registered User

what are their cap hits?

25. McRobbiezyg

McRobbiezyg Registered User

100% agree. something is seriously rotten with this organization