Confirmed with Link: [EDM/CHI] Caggiula + Garrison for Manning + Norell

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I honestly do not understand what Chia was thinking... I can't explain it.

1. He was desperate to get rid of Caggs... he could have gotten literally ANYTHING else (e.g. picks, anything more than a #9 d-man)
2. He really liked Manning...the guy who intentionally injured McDavid, has been healthy-scratched, and still has a year left on his contract.

I'm just at a loss for words.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
If Manning and Spooner were put on waivers, would anyone claim them? Honest question.

Reactions: ujju2

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
I honestly do not understand what Chia was thinking... I can't explain it.

1. He was desperate to get rid of Caggs... he could have gotten literally ANYTHING else (e.g. picks, anything more than a #9 d-man)
2. He really liked Manning...the guy who intentionally injured McDavid, has been healthy-scratched, and still has a year left on his contract.

I'm just at a loss for words.
Flames fan, coming in peace, was gonna post on main board, but don't see any threads about Manning getting sent down. Honestly my first reaction when I heard the trade that Chia traded for him, was that he did it so he could banish him to the minors, as some kinda revenge. Crazy, I know, but I think back to what the Habs tried to do to John Scott before the all star game. Nothing makes sense with this trade, and I know what I say sounds crazy, probably is, it just makes no sense to trade for that trash.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Flames fan, coming in peace, was gonna post on main board, but don't see any threads about Manning getting sent down. Honestly my first reaction when I heard the trade that Chia traded for him, was that he did it so he could banish him to the minors, as some kinda revenge. Crazy, I know, but I think back to what the Habs tried to do to John Scott before the all star game. Nothing makes sense with this trade, and I know what I say sounds crazy, probably is, it just makes no sense to trade for that trash.
A small unknown fact about a guy on a two-way going to the minors. Salary earned in the AHL is not subject to escrow so the player actually gets a minor pay raise by going to the minors.

Bottom line is there is no explanation for this trade. The Petrovic deal made some sense at least. This trade was flat out brutal!!!!

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
This sounds really bad. We need to wipe out this management team completely ASAP

FEATURE: Caggiula settling in with simple game

"I feel a lot more comfortable right now than I did before," he said after practice on Thursday. "I think just the calmness of the organization and I feel like I have a comfortability with them just going back to my college days."
Chicago acquired Caggiula via trade from the Edmonton Oilers on Dec. 29, a few years after trying to sign him as a college free agent.

"The [Blackhawks] tried really hard to recruit me here and when they called me they reiterated over and over how they traded for me because of the player I am and they don't want to change who I am as a player," said Caggiula. "I think I was maybe walking on eggshells trying to please certain people and all that certain stuff. Now I'm forgetting all about that and just playing hockey again. I got a fresh start here in a new organization and I'm able to just come in with a clear mind and play hockey without having to think. That's making it a lot easier for me."

I don't even know what that means because he is obviously trying not to say anything specific, but I can't think of any way to take that aside from more proof this org is friggin toxic.

Maybe it's just coaching he's talking about? He's on a team full of multi-cup winners, it's not like he's gonna get away with not putting defensive effort in to please his coaches/peers for Chicago. I'm not so sure this is about coaching, this sounds like it's something he needed management to come to him to clear his mind about, that they were not going to be putting specific pressures on him. All these glory days Oilers egos floating around this org now. I'm not sure I want to know how involved these guys are off the ice.

Last edited:

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
A small unknown fact about a guy on a two-way going to the minors. Salary earned in the AHL is not subject to escrow so the player actually gets a minor pay raise by going to the minors.

Bottom line is there is no explanation for this trade. The Petrovic deal made some sense at least. This trade was flat out brutal!!!!

Wow, there goes that theory, really doesn't make sense. Completely agree.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Didnt read

North

Jun 25, 2009
This sounds really bad. We need to wipe out this management team completely ASAP

FEATURE: Caggiula settling in with simple game

I don't even know what that means because he is obviously trying not to say anything specific, but I can't think of any way to take that aside from more proof this org is friggin toxic.

Maybe it's just coaching he's talking about? He's on a team full of multi-cup winners, it's not like he's gonna get away with not putting defensive effort in to please his coaches/peers for Chicago. I'm not so sure this is about coaching, this sounds like it's something he needed management to come to him to clear his mind about, that they were not going to be putting specific pressures on him. All these glory days Oilers egos floating around this org now. I'm not sure I want to know how involved these guys are off the ice.

Remember when he first signed and instead of playing him on wing where he was comfortable they tried to turn him into a centre?

Keep in mind he had been bumped all around the lineup here and had no idea exactly what they wanted because they didn’t just let him settle into one role. It’s still an issue now. I know Spooner isn’t great but they’ve moved him all over the place as well without letting him get comfortable in one spot.

Having said that, I still don’t think Caggiula’s going to amount to much beyond a bottom six player but maybe if left there he could become effective.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Aerrol

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Remember when he first signed and instead of playing him on wing where he was comfortable they tried to turn him into a centre?

Keep in mind he had been bumped all around the lineup here and had no idea exactly what they wanted because they didn’t just let him settle into one role. It’s still an issue now. I know Spooner isn’t great but they’ve moved him all over the place as well without letting him get comfortable in one spot.

Having said that, I still don’t think Caggiula’s going to amount to much beyond a bottom six player but maybe if left there he could become effective.

My wild speculation would be that the org (above coaching) were pressuring him to try to become a Marchand or Andrew Shaw for the team. A guy that is running around agitating all night long. And even though he can be feisty, that kind of constant pest mentality just is not in his personality.

Reactions: Aerrol

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
The more important part of that article is probably how Chicago has wanted Caggiula forever. Somehow they dumped a terrible contract on us in the process of getting a player they coveted.

Chia is so bad at negotiating... We pay teams to take their cap dumps.

What's crazy is that we also got a player that Chia coveted for many years.... but his name is Manning. Chia has such a terrible perspective on what a "good" player looks like.

Reactions: oobga

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
What's crazy is that we also got a player that Chia coveted for many years.... but his name is Manning. Chia has such a terrible perspective on what a "good" player looks like.

lol! That's true. Chia probably popped the champagne after the deal was done. 1 year of work to try to get Manning finally came to fruition.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
The more important part of that article is probably how Chicago has wanted Caggiula forever. Somehow they dumped a terrible contract on us in the process of getting a player they coveted.

Chia is so bad at negotiating... We pay teams to take their cap dumps.
I posted it in the blackhawks trade thread but I really think Chia was negotiating against himself here. Everyone around the league knew the Blackhawks had a logjam of bottom pairing defenders and had to move one or two out now that everyone was healthy (Murphy and Forsling started the year on IR). They sent Jokiharju to the WJC to buy them a little more time. With Jokiharju at the WJC they had 7 rostered defenseman with one of their D still out and returning soon. The hawks NEEDED to move out a defenseman before Jokiharju got back from the WJC. There were plenty of articles from Chicago beats saying they were aggressively trying to move Manning but it would probably cost to move that contract.

We were all pleasantly surprised that not only did we not have to pay to move Manning but that we got a peice of some value that Stan has been chasing for awhile. I have no idea why Chia diddnt just wait a few more days until Stan’s hands were tied. Chia legitimately had all the leverage here. I can’t imagine Stan received close to that offer from anyone else. Just horrible negotiating.

Really feel for you guys and hope something is done about your management group soon. Always had a soft spot for the Oilers and it’s a damn shame that the best player in the NHL is getting his prime wasted because of incompetence from management.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Of coarse Cags isn’t walking on egg shells when he is on a team not on the playoff bubble and every Chicago fan was just pumped to shed Manning. If he continues to get no points I’m sure he will feel the squeeze.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007

Which is really sad because our pro scouts are constantly dropping the ball

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Maybe hes trying to get fired.
f*** lets hope its soon before he distroys us any more.

Spooner and Manning should get everyone fired. FFS

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Maybe hes trying to get fired.
**** lets hope its soon before he distroys us any more.

Spooner and Manning should get everyone fired. FFS

The more I think about it, the more I feel those 2 contracts basically guarantee next year is another lost season, at best squeaking into a wildcard spot to lose in playoffs because we have no good depth.

It's going to be almost impossible to move on from those 2 contracts that are eating ~5.3M, to go along with the 6M wasted on Lucic, plus 1.66M on buyouts. So much wasted cap space that we can't free up next year, unless we start tossing away our good picks.

If I didn't know better, I'd think this was Chia putting in an insurance policy to try to make sure his replacement looks bad next year if he's fired, so he has a better chance to get another job.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I posted it in the blackhawks trade thread but I really think Chia was negotiating against himself here. Everyone around the league knew the Blackhawks had a logjam of bottom pairing defenders and had to move one or two out now that everyone was healthy (Murphy and Forsling started the year on IR). They sent Jokiharju to the WJC to buy them a little more time. With Jokiharju at the WJC they had 7 rostered defenseman with one of their D still out and returning soon. The hawks NEEDED to move out a defenseman before Jokiharju got back from the WJC. There were plenty of articles from Chicago beats saying they were aggressively trying to move Manning but it would probably cost to move that contract.

We were all pleasantly surprised that not only did we not have to pay to move Manning but that we got a peice of some value that Stan has been chasing for awhile. I have no idea why Chia diddnt just wait a few more days until Stan’s hands were tied. Chia legitimately had all the leverage here. I can’t imagine Stan received close to that offer from anyone else. Just horrible negotiating.

Really feel for you guys and hope something is done about your management group soon. Always had a soft spot for the Oilers and it’s a damn shame that the best player in the NHL is getting his prime wasted because of incompetence from management.

Chia, and the rest of the OBC, couldn't negotiate with a toddler and come out ahead in the deal. They would somehow end up agreeing to a lifetime supply of chocolate milk in order to get the kid to stop eating crayons.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->