Proposal: Edm - Car - NYI 3-Way

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think you're missing the point for EDM, which would be to add a top4 RD and PPQB without hurting the offense too bad. If you don't like Faulk, fine just say that.

Also coulda done without the petty insults, especially considering I have no doubts Lee would sign here long-term.

He’d sign THERE long term, we don’t have a guarantee he’d sign HERE long term.

I don’t think mentioning that you guys are probably gunshy about UFA’s after the Tavares fiasco was insulting. You clearly have reason for concern after that mess, any fan base would be a bit scarred. Maximizing a potential UFA’s value well ahead of the game makes perfect sense... for you.

My feelings on Faulk are well documented. The only ‘top four’ defenceman I generally think less of is Cody Ceci in Ottawa. I don’t think he has any place in the top four of a team that wants to win games regularly - at least not now with his mobility issues and defensive struggles.

Draisaitl and a 2nd for Lee signed to ??? contract and Faulk is an easy pass from Edmonton.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
He’d sign THERE long term, we don’t have a guarantee he’d sign HERE long term.
No, you don't, but I think the assumption in OP is that Lee tells EDM he'll re-sign pre-trade. It happened with Turris last season, so it's not unheard of, and this trade is never gonna happen anyways we're just talking value here.
I don’t think mentioning that you guys are probably gunshy about UFA’s after the Tavares fiasco was insulting. You clearly have reason for concern after that mess, any fan base would be a bit scarred.
I don't think any Islander fan is "scarred" of Lee refusing to sign
My feelings on Faulk are well documented. The only ‘top four’ defenceman i generally think less of is Cody Ceci in Ottawa.

Draisaitl and a 2nd for Lee signed to ??? contract and Faulk is an easy pass from Edmonton.
This should have been your response from the start. If you don't like Faulk and aren't sure how Lee's contract will look, and thus don't wanna make the trade, that's completely fine.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As a non-Oilers fan, I wouldn't trade Draisaitl (not even including the 2nd round pick) for Faulk and a signed Lee either. IMO, it's a bad move trading a 22 year old center who already has two 70 point seasons under his belt for a 26 year old defenseman who is a UFA in 2 seasons and a 28 year old winger who will be paid a ton on a long term deal.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No, you don't, but I think the assumption in OP is that Lee tells EDM he'll re-sign pre-trade. It happened with Turris last season, so it's not unheard of, and this trade is never gonna happen anyways we're just talking value here.

I don't think any Islander fan is "scarred" of Lee refusing to sign

This should have been your response from the start. If you don't like Faulk and aren't sure how Lee's contract will look, and thus don't wanna make the trade, that's completely fine.

You know I meant ‘scarred’, not ‘scared’, right? Like a little bit of fan PTSD?

I said that lee doesn’t have that kind of value and that McDavid’s wingers didn’t matter. I probably should have said ‘because RNH is perfectly fine in that role and had great results last season’ but you wanted to be nit picky so that’s fine.

Nashville gave up picks and prospects for a guy that told them he’d sign, it’s not the same situation.

As far as OP goes, if there’s one team that does it, it’s OP’s home team. That’s usually how these failed attempts at three ways go.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
As a non-Oilers fan, I wouldn't trade Draisaitl (not even including the 2nd round pick) for Faulk and a signed Lee either. IMO, it's a bad move trading a 22 year old center who already has two 70 point seasons under his belt for a 26 year old defenseman who is a UFA in 2 seasons and a 29 year old winger who will be paid a ton on a long term deal.
28 year old winger, but yeah I get it if Edmonton doesn't like that return for Drai

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
How many 2nd line Wingers spent 75%+ of the season on a line with John Tavares? Other than Bailey whose numbers are also inflated?

Now that JT isn’t feeding Lee beauties it will be interesting to see where his stats end up. Given his career trend of potting 0.5 assists per goal, he could be a 20-30 goal, 30-45 point forward.

Only THREE wingers scored 40 goals last year. Why didn't McDavid's wingers not score 40? Why didn't Crosby's or Malkin's?

Two seasons ago, when JT was out injured, Lee scored at a FASTER rate than with him.

I think you are really underestimating him.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
You know I meant ‘scarred’, not ‘scared’, right? Like a little bit of fan PTSD?
Nope, honestly thought you just misspelled scared. My bad. In that case I don't think we're scarred in the way of being weary of upcoming UFAs who have been on the team forever. If we thought that'd be common practice we wouldn't hate Tavares for being a traitor.
I said that lee doesn’t have that kind of value and that McDavid’s wingers didn’t matter. I probably should have said ‘because RNH is perfectly fine in that role and had great results last season’ but you wanted to be nit picky so that’s fine.
This once again misses the entire point of upgrading your defense, which is the whole point for Edmonton.
Nashville gave up picks and prospects for a guy that told them he’d sign, it’s not the same situation.
Not sure why what you give up ha anything to do with a guy's willingness to re-sign, so yeah it's certainly a comparable situation.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nope, honestly thought you just misspelled scared. My bad. In that case I don't think we're scarred in the way of being weary of upcoming UFAs who have been on the team forever. If we thought that'd be common practice we wouldn't hate Tavares for being a traitor.

This once again misses the entire point of upgrading your defense, which is the whole point for Edmonton.

Not sure why what you give up ha anything to do with a guy's willingness to re-sign, so yeah it's certainly a comparable situation.

Apology accepted.

Downgrading Draisaitl to pick up Faulk was a lost cause from the very beginning. Like Boom Boom said, Edmonton doesn’t do this signed Lee or no, second rounder included or no.

Nashville was willing to accommodate a sign and trade - after negotiations in Ottawa stalled for Turris - because they were going for a Cup and nothing off their main roster was moving. I doubt they would have been willing to do so if the value wasn’t clearly in their favour. If we have to sign Lee to the long term deal after giving up the best piece in the deal, that’s pretty much just a blatant attempt to ratchet up Lee’s value.

If we could get Lee for the equivalent of Girard, Kamenev, and a 2nd, then sure maybe we’d be more willing to negotiate the deal with him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Usually when you ask for a player that the team/team's fans view as basically untouchable (which Draisaitl is), it's going to be hard to do a deal without giving up one of your untouchables, and even then it's hard to get agreement. That's what I see here when you are asking for Draisaitl.

If someone made a similar deal in reverse asking for Barzal (if Tavares had re-signed), the Isles fans would have the same reaction. If someone had asked the Canes for Aho or Slavin, we'd have the same response. It's why guys like that are rarely traded.

EDIT: and before someone misconstrues what I wrote, I am NOT saying all those guys are equal value, just that the teams / teams' fans view them all as basically untouchable.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Usually when you ask for a player that the team/team's fans view as basically untouchable (which Draisaitl is), it's going to be hard to do a deal without giving up one of your untouchables, and even then it's hard to get agreement. That's what I see here when you are asking for Draisaitl.

If someone made a similar deal in reverse asking for Barzal (if Tavares had re-signed), the Isles fans would have the same reaction. If someone had asked the Canes for Aho or Slavin, we'd have the same response. It's why guys like that are rarely traded.

Pretty much this. Quantity for quality to me doesn’t mean that the quantity team is giving up junk, it means that they’re giving up a bunch of lesser assets for a greater piece. Barzal/Aho/Draisaitl just are not freaking moving, regardless of whether Lee/Pulock or Nuge/Klefbom or Teravainen/Pesce are on the table.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We aren't trading Draisaitl for that. Draisaitl is a high end center, who offers dominance in faceoffs and in controlling the ice, and puts up top tier points as well. He is prime example of a core player.

Lee is a winger and possibly a product of Tavares. At the very least, no impartial fan would say Lee is a top tier winger. I also don't trust players who's stats are that goal-heavy. He's very good, but also 28 years old, and not a core player you build around.

Faulk is a complementary player. He's valuable but not for major assets.

I can't believe a single Islander fan said this was a bad trade for them.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We aren't trading Draisaitl for that. Draisaitl is a high end center, who offers dominance in faceoffs and in controlling the ice, and puts up top tier points as well. He is prime example of a core player.

Lee is a winger and possibly a product of Tavares. At the very least, no impartial fan would say Lee is a top tier winger. I also don't trust players who's stats are that goal-heavy. He's very good, but also 28 years old, and not a core player you build around.

Faulk is a complementary player. He's valuable but not for major assets.

I can't believe a single Islander fan said this was a bad trade for them.

Not many are, they’re more a bit incredulous that Edmonton or Carolina fans want nothing to do with OP’s deal.

Lee and Bailey are good players and nice pieces but Draisaitl is a big fat no.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Any thoughts?
Oilers laugh at this deal
I want zero to do with Lee and his 20% shooting percentage anomaly seasons. He is also a UFA after this year. Give up Drai for him lol.
Faulk is worth about a 2nd if that right now.
This is horrible for Edmonton

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I also don't trust players who's stats are that goal-heavy.

Maurice Richard
Mike Gartner
Brett Hull
Bobby Hull
Alex Ovechkin
Peter Bondra

All of those have far more goals than assists.

None of those are trustworthy to you? ALL of them are career 500+ NHL goal scorers.

That took me about 90 seconds to research.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Only THREE wingers scored 40 goals last year. Why didn't McDavid's wingers not score 40? Why didn't Crosby's or Malkin's?

Two seasons ago, when JT was out injured, Lee scored at a FASTER rate than with him.

I think you are really underestimating him.

And 3 seasons ago at 24 years old Lee scored 15 goals and 36 points in 80 games.

Crosby’s most common linemates was Guentzel at 45%. Malkin’s most Common linemates was Kessel at 61% (34 Goals). Anders Lee most common linemates was Tavares at 87.6%. Significant difference in the favor of Lee.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Oilers laugh at this deal
I want zero to do with Lee and his 20% shooting percentage anomaly seasons. He is also a UFA after this year. Give up Drai for him lol.
Faulk is worth about a 2nd if that right now.
This is horrible for Edmonton

Try reading the WHOLE thing next time. A SIGNED Lee. As far as anomalies are concerned, when your average shot attempt is within 8 feet of the net you are not going to shoot 8%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad